Adding sensors to DSC Power 632 system

mattmc97

I have a DSC Power 632 that I had installed whenever I built my house. I know the guy that did the install (I used to build houses for a living). I have talked to him about adding additional motion detector and some glassbreaks. Anyway, that was going to cost me about $500. I have found the parts on automatedoutlet website and had a few questions before ordering.

1. I saw that Martin at Automatedoutlet.com posted that sometimes there is an installer code that you have to enter. Am I going to run into that problem with the 632 when just adding glassbreaks and a motion? If so, is there a way to clear the code? I am not currently monitored so that won;t be an issue.

2. Secondly, is adding an additional motion sensor as easy as daisy chaining them in series or parallel with the only other motion sensor?

3. Also, Can I just attach my glassbreaks to one of my windows zones or are they better to keep on their own zone? If I do not have an available zone what is the best option?

4. Finally, Is there a way to add an external siren to my system? You can barely hear the siren in my attic outside. The installation manual I found on the web says 700ma max, that does not seem like enough to run two sirens.

thanks!

mattmc

Welcome to CocoonTech!

1. I saw that Martin at Automatedoutlet.com posted that sometimes there is an installer code that you have to enter. Am I going to run into that problem with the 632 when just adding glassbreaks and a motion? If so, is there a way to clear the code? I am not currently monitored so that won;t be an issue.
I would not think so, especially if you are extending an existing zone and not creating a new one. You most likely would need the code to do any programming tho.

2. Secondly, is adding an additional motion sensor as easy as daisy chaining them in series or parallel with the only other motion sensor?
Usually you can series connect devices without a problem. Keep a few things in mind. First, with o motion, or glass break, you have 2 wires for your zone and 2 for power. If you are adding additional devices that will put additional power drain on the panel so you should make sure you will still be in range. I don't see it as a problem, but depending on how many devices you have and the size of the panel, it could be. Second, if the are any EOL (End Of Line resistors) you need to move them to the end devices for 'proper' operation.

3. Also, Can I just attach my glassbreaks to one of my windows zones or are they better to keep on their own zone? If I do not have an available zone what is the best option?
I'm a fan of separate zoning but its simple - if you don't have zones available, you will need to combine them. At least try to put it on a zone in that room so it makes sense.

4. Finally, Is there a way to add an external siren to my system? You can barely hear the siren in my attic outside. The installation manual I found on the web says 700ma max, that does not seem like enough to run two sirens.
Sirens are tough because they usually draw a good amount of current. One option is to replace your indoor one with a piezo screamer which iirc only draws like 30ma, then use the regular siren for outdoors.

In the case of your sirens, as Steve mentioned, look at the Moose Piezo Sirens as they have a very low current draw.

I did THIS post about them.

Back