Advice for new home construction

Yikes.

Out running errands today, I decided to stop by my local HA store to pick their brains. I just asked questions and listened, to try and get more opinions.

I should note that this is a very well liked store and they have worked on MANY homes around my town. (They have these little vanity stickers that go on peoples security gates...)

Anyway, this particular dealer showed me a hardwired system, complete with whole-house audio derived from a server that instantly burn your CDs to it, or one could download their MP3s, etc. Full color touchscreen pads in your choice of rooms controlled everything from lighting, to intercom, to audio, to phones, to AV gear, to viewing your security camera feeds.

I was impressed, and I want this system. I showed him my houseplans, and we played 'ballpark figure'--

$20,000.

Twenty thousand clams, or more.

I am definately in the wrong ballpark.

It was however, a really cool system, but I decided to spend that money elsewhere on the house. Like framing.

Thanks for everyones input!

Actually, they're may have been some Creston componets, but the keypad and processor were a name I'm drawing a blank on now. It started with an 'E' and was funky to pronounce... 'Eschion', or 'Estion', or something.

or Elan

The good thing about HA is that you can do it yourself (if you're willing) and save a lot of money. The high end automation systems are great - but you can do as much or more for a lot less money... just takes time, sweat, and some engineering work.

Throwing out SWAG numbers:
Security System - $500
Automation Controller - $1000
Light Switches, appliance modules, etc - $1000
Audio Music Server - $750
Amplifiers, in-wall speakers, IR Controller - $1000
Wires - $500
Misc Tools - $250

You can do it for a lot less, and you can build as you go (spreading your costs out over years if you want). You can save money by using components you already had, use less expensive equipment if you need less functionality, etc. Welcome aboard!

Back