affordable route to distributing HD

IVB said:
I posted this on your avs thread, but just to state my opinion here: I vote to punt decisions as late as needed, run both the CAT5 and 3RG6. You'll definitely need one or the other, as it's new construction I can't imagine running both would be that much more $$.
We ran 4 RG6 and 2 Cat 5 to each zone.

ellisr63 said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
Does AutoPatch allow us to watch from a DVD source on bedroom 2 while watching an HD show on master bedroom?
I have the 4YDM (32x32)... Mine is setup to where each card is an input or an output.... there are 8 cards for input and another 8 for output.

Each card has 4 BNC connectors (you can get adapter to convert to RCA for less than $1 each... I made my own cables and just put a RCA on one end and a BNC on the other).

Each one of the cards has 4 BNC connectors which i use as follows..... 1 BNC for digital coaxial and the other 3 for Component Video.

With the 4YDM you can send any or all inputs to any or all outputs.,,,8 sources to eight zones if desired or 1 source to all zones.
Does this help?
Ron
so for a room, how many RG6 did you run? And are you saying that it is possible to watch a DVD from room1 while a different source such as HD set top box on room2?

ellisr63 said:
IVB said:
I posted this on your avs thread, but just to state my opinion here: I vote to punt decisions as late as needed, run both the CAT5 and 3RG6. You'll definitely need one or the other, as it's new construction I can't imagine running both would be that much more $$.
We ran 5 RG6 and 2 Cat 5 to each zone.
So, what model do I need if I only need to drive masterbedroom, loft, family room and one room in basement? 4 rooms then

ellisr63 said:
Each one of the cards has 4 BNC connectors which i use as follows..... 1 BNC for digital coaxial and the other 3 for Component Video.

I'm reading your post again. Looks like using this kind of connectivity, there should be a local receiver in the room that will take the digital coaxial for audio? Am I correct?

If you opt to distribute digital audio, you'll need a receiver per zone to decode it, but it doesn't have to be "local" to the zone. You can put it in the central closet as IIRC your speaker wiring is run back to there.

IVB said:
If you opt to distribute digital audio, you'll need a receiver per zone to decode it, but it doesn't have to be "local" to the zone. You can put it in the central closet as IIRC your speaker wiring is run back to there.
Exactly how I did mine

v1rtu0s1ty said:
ellisr63 said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
Does AutoPatch allow us to watch from a DVD source on bedroom 2 while watching an HD show on master bedroom?
I have the 4YDM (32x32)... Mine is setup to where each card is an input or an output.... there are 8 cards for input and another 8 for output.

Each card has 4 BNC connectors (you can get adapter to convert to RCA for less than $1 each... I made my own cables and just put a RCA on one end and a BNC on the other).

With the 4YDM you can send any or all inputs to any or all outputs.,,,8 sources to eight zones if desired or 1 source to all zones.
Does this help?
Ron
so for a room, how many RG6 did you run? And are you saying that it is possible to watch a DVD from room1 while a different source such as HD set top box on room2?
I have 4 RG6 and 2 cat 5 for every room that has HDTV and yesy I canwatch a dif source in each room if I want

hi ellisr, what do you think about my drawing? Is there anything that should not be there? I put in A/B switch so I can switch to audio playing in the headend. I don't know if it's really needed because my a/v receiver can accept connections too and can do switching. If there are other things you see wrong, please let me know. Other folks are welcome to comment as well.

EDIT: where did you use the 2 CAT5 cables?

planned_av_distribution.gif

looks fine to me... the builder put 2 cat 5 at each HDTV zone as that is what the bundle had... I guess there might be a need for it down the road. One thing I liked was the 4 RG6 as this allowed me to run 3 for component and the 4th takes the digital coax from a DVD player under the HDTV set and sends it back to the Rack where it goes into another input on the Denon receiver. I did this for the occasion when friends come over and they have a DVD with them they would like to watch... saves me from having to load it into the changer plus I use the HDMI from the DVD straight to the HD display.

ellisr63 said:
looks fine to me... the builder put 2 cat 5 at each HDTV zone as that is what the bundle had... I guess there might be a need for it down the road. One thing I liked was the 4 RG6 as this allowed me to run 3 for component and the 4th takes the digital coax from a DVD player under the HDTV set and sends it back to the Rack where it goes into another input on the Denon receiver. I did this for the occasion when friends come over and they have a DVD with them they would like to watch... saves me from having to load it into the changer plus I use the HDMI from the DVD straight to the HD display.
That's cool. Now I know where the 4th coax will be used. ;) How many sources can you watch at the same time with 4YDM? What about 1YDM? It's because, 1YDM might be sufficient for me since I only need to drive 4 rooms.

Thanks!

mustangcoupe said:
v1rtu0s1ty

is that just an extra rg6 in the drawing? looks like 5 back to the central cabinet
Yes, I put 5 because I still don't know how many cables I really need. I don't know if it's too many. I might reduce it to 4 runs.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
ellisr63 said:
That's cool. Now I know where the 4th coax will be used. ;) How many sources can you watch at the same time with 4YDM? What about 1YDM? It's because, 1YDM might be sufficient for me since I only need to drive 4 rooms.

Thanks!
I have a 32x32 Autopatch 4ydm and can watch as many as 8 sources at one time. You can get more and link them together to watch more sources.

hi ellisr,

What would be the wiring connection for a room that doesn't have local receiver but still with the 3 RG6 wires for component video? The room will have 2 speakers. I think I need to run a 16/4 speaker wire, right? But where does this speaker wire get connected at the headend? Analog sound will be fine for this room.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
hi ellisr,

What would be the wiring connection for a room that doesn't have local receiver but still with the 3 RG6 wires for component video? The room will have 2 speakers. I think I need to run a 16/4 speaker wire, right? But where does this speaker wire get connected at the headend? Analog sound will be fine for this room.
On my setup I home ran all my speaker wire, cat 5 and RG6 to my equipment rack. I have all my equipment there except for one DVD player in the living room. So with this setup the receiver is in the rack next to all the sources and the speaker wire is run to the wall jacks and then to the wall jacks in the appropriate room or directly to the speaker.

Back