Air Traffic Conversations

I was flying with a friend of mine about 2 years ago in a Cessna 172. Cessna's are NOT known for their speed for sure! We were flying into Orlando to stop for Fuel. We had clearance, and were on final approach. The tower contacted us:

"Cessna 70Victor, make best speed, and clear the active runway as soon as possible, you have a heavy at your 6 o'clock on final"

Todd, always a smarta$$, simply responded:

"70V, Copy Tower. I'm peddaling as fast as I can!"

He always seems to get away with this stuff, I say that as it is really not appropriate behavior on the radio, and the FAA is pretty strict. One of these days he will hear "Roger that, land and please report to the control tower". You NEVER want to hear that, it's like being called to the Dean's office!

I use to be a webmaster for a flying site, and I had all sorts of stuff like that page on the site, as well as flying jokes, cartoons, pictures ect.... I will have to look and see if I can find some of it here somewhere..... In the meantime, here is one great picture I knew where it was :D

Attachments

• FlyBoy.jpg
    FlyBoy.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 38
I had heard many of those before but ther were a few I hadn't that were hilarious. I spent the last 7 years flying in and out of O'Hare in Chigago and they are the funniest (and best) controllers in the world IMHO.

Not as funny as most of these but one of the best I ever heard while flying was an aircraft that was having a little trouble joining an airway so they asked to be "cleared direct to the fix." The reply from Chicago departure was "Negative, it looks like you need all the practice you can get."

JohnWPB said:
Todd, always a smarta$$, simply responded:

"70V, Copy Tower. I'm peddaling as fast as I can!"

He always seems to get away with this stuff, I say that as it is really not appropriate behavior on the radio, and the FAA is pretty strict. One of these days he will hear "Roger that, land and please report to the control tower". You NEVER want to hear that, it's like being called to the Dean's office!

While I agree it is certainly more professional to not make comments like this, you won't get in trouble for it as long as you have acknowledged the instruction and comply with it.

So how many private pilots do we have on this forum? I am in the process of getting my license and was wondering who shares the common interest of flying? I only have 1 hour in, but it was probably the best hour of my life so far. I hear it gets better.

Squintz,

It definitely gets better but if you have a good instructor there will also be times where you are having to focus so hard that you will be drained after your hour flight.

I have my private license but I haven't flown for a few years due to time and financial contraints. I really enjoy flying though, I just wish I had enough money to get my own plane. My local FBOs are mainly into flight training so it is just about impossible to rent a plane to keep for the weekend. That means that I am limited in the places I can fly.

Eric

ericvic,

I will put you on the list of people I want to fly with. Maybe one day when I get my PPL we can meet up and fly together. I can't wait until those days are possible.

Squintz (or any CT Pilot),

I was a CFI for 4 years and a Professional Airline Pilot for 7. I quit the Airlines for personal reasons but still fly privately and teach occasionally. If you ever have any questions you don't get answered by your instructor feel free to PM me (or post). I love to talk about flying and in return for all the free advice I have received here I would like a chance to reciprocate.

Scott

Getting my pilots license is on my list of things to do, unfortunately it's categorized under "when I win the lottery" lol.

Ah the first solo, I remember it well.

I had been out practicing with my instructor doing some touch and gos and then he told me to come to a full stop. He got out and told me to go do 3 full stop take-offs and landings and that he would be on the radio (I fly out of a small non-towered field). I was excited but not nervious as I taxied to the active runway and lined up on the center line, push the throttle forward and then lift-off! That is when I had the thought that "Oh crap" I'm alone up here and I don't have my instructor to take the controls if my landing is not going well. In the end I did some OK landings and they cut my shirt tail off. I have a picture of that somewhere and my back is soaking wet with sweat!

Eric

At the end of my final checkride, the FAA examiner said, "OK, lets do a short field landing"

(Commercial airport, hot July summer afternoon, just the right conditions to float).

I was determined to put it down, make it stay down, and hit the brakes!

After bouncing three times, I barely got it stopped before crossing the intersection of the 7200 ft main runway.

Silence.

Finally I said, "That wasn't my best short field landing". Silence.

Then the FAA Examiner said, "Taxi to the hanger".

He got out and disappeared into the the FBO without another word.

I went into the FBO and sat down, and waited, and waited, sweating the whole time, Gosh, did he have to go clean out his pants?

Then he appeared, walking toward me, solemn expression on his face, then burst into a grin, and handed it to me!! WOW! My License!!!!

As he turned to walk away, he looked back, and said, "Practice on those short field landings"

Squintz and Rustytek,

That's great news. I wish you well, and have fun.

I always enjoyed "Unusal Attitude Recovery" and "Minum Controlable Airspeed"
practices.

Unusal Attitude recovery is when the instructor would have you cross your arms, close your eyes, and put your chin on your chest. He would spend a few minutes climbing, descending, banking turns, etc, Anything to screw up your inner ears then suddenly say, It's yours! You have to quickly figure out how he left the airplane (climbing just before a stall for ex.) and quickly return to stable flight.

One blustry winter day, we were doing Minimum Controled Airspeed. I turned into a strong headwind, pulled power, dropped flaps and started working the rudder feaverously with my feet. I looked down out the window, Dang, my little 152 was flying backwards!

Have fun!

Back