Alarm for back house

scotsman

My main residence has an Elk M1 alarm. I also have a back house that is around 90ft from my main residence. What is the best way to alarm this space? A new alarm system, or is there some way it can be connected to the M1? It would be good to independently be able to secure the back house when it is unoccupied.

Thanks!

Are you able to run wiring to the back house?  If so, it would be relatively easy to put a zone expander for the M1 there to handle door and window contacts, motion sensors, etc.  

You can partition the M1 and define the back house as a separate area and arm/disarm it independently of the main house.  You'll need to assign a keypad to the back house.

Thanks! Yes I can run some wiring out there. There's an ethernet cable going out already. Any issues with the length of cable needed I wonder?

scotsman said:
Thanks! Yes I can run some wiring out there. There's an ethernet cable going out already. Any issues with the length of cable needed I wonder?

The ethernet Catx cable would be fine for connecting a keypad and M1XIN input expander to the M1 data bus.  For a 90' length, it would also be adequate for providing power to both of them.  But it you need to power much more than that, you may want to consider running a separate heavier cable for power (e.g. 18 AWG), or placing a battery backed aux power supply in the back house (assuming it doesn't get below freezing out there and AC power is available).

Another thing you should think about is putting surge protection devices on both ends of the cable(s) connecting the two structures if you live in an area where you get thunderstorms.

I would also suggest paying attention to the topology and treat the structures as 2 separate branches on the system.

Assuming you have a databus hub in your main panel, you would want to run a cat6 to the back-house. In the backhouse, you would install another data bus hub (wired for crossover iirc), to the second DBH, you would install an M1XIN for zones and your keypad. These new zones and keypad would be configured as an Area 2, to keep it separate from your main home. Hope this helps

KLC said:
Assuming you have a databus hub in your main panel, you would want to run a cat6 to the back-house. In the backhouse, you would install another data bus hub (wired for crossover iirc), to the second DBH, you would install an M1XIN for zones and your keypad. These new zones and keypad would be configured as an Area 2, to keep it separate from your main home. Hope this helps
Not really what I'd suggest, especially considering 2 separate busses (adding to the overall cable length and using CatX will also decrease the OAL system length allowable).

DBH's aren't necessary for system operation, however the basics to install 2 would be to branch straight from the control, remove the termination from the panel itself and install a termination at the last device on each bus. Crossover wiring is not used.

Pros and cons of going each way, but a straight 4 wire bus would be the suggestion to the outbuilding, not all the conductors of a Cat X unless power is needed out there, which I'd suggest running an 18/2 out there in addition.

DELInstallations said:
Pros and cons of going each way, but a straight 4 wire bus would be the suggestion to the outbuilding, not all the conductors of a Cat X unless power is needed out there, which I'd suggest running an 18/2 out there in addition.

I recommend that you add a second catX cable for possible expansion in the future and 18/4 so that you have two wires to supply a speaker in addition to the two for power.

Mike.

Back