Alarm Relay TG-1 Express Sunset

ano

Got an email from Alarm Relay saying basically 3G is being discontinued in my communicator and I need to upgrade. I think AT&T says they are discontinuing 3G in Feb. 2022.

So my question is, has anyone upgraded yet, what communicator did you get and what was the cost?  I guess I have some time.

You can call them and see if they have a discount on their new cellular BAT (assuming you are upgrading from their current t offering?). Writing from memory - I have Verizon which I think has longer runway on 3G but am currently using the cellular ”BAT” they sell. I called about an upgrade but was told I had some time before it becomes necessary and that the reduced cost upgrade would continue to be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrojanHorse said:
I have Verizon which I think has longer runway on 3G

Yes and no.  Their original plan was by the end of 2019.  Then they extended that until the end of 2020.  Now they have extended it with no set timetable.  So initially theirs was shorter, the revised was still shorter.

That also means that next month they could revise the date further.  Chances are, it is one or a few big customers that pushed for this and everyone else, not a concern.

The sad thing is, while 5G is not widely deployed, where are the 5G capable devices for say alarm panels?  Currently those are LTE but just wait until 6G comes around and LTE is being looked at being phased out.  A 5G modem while it costs more, is still cheap compared to the overall BOM.

5G chipset is $50 to $70 for the budget line and the top of the line in is around $130.
4G chipset is around $40.

So a 5G does cost more but the budget chip could be used as how much data is an alarm panel going to transmit?  It is not like it needs high speeds that 5G can offer.  It would extend the life of the device though.  As it stands right now, a lot of devices are are N-1 in terms of technology and thus has a short life.

1G (AMPS) was shutdown in 2007
2G was 2018 - 2020 (different carriers had different dates)
3G is 2022 -202x

The bigger issue, long before the sunset actually occurs, the network was already in the process of being decommissioned.  They remove support from some towers and let other towers cover the area.  So the network was not once it was in the past.  So chances are, AT&T has already removed towers from supporting 3G and so has Verizon even though Verizon doesn't have a date set for when it will be turned off.

lanbrown said:
Yes and no.  Their original plan was by the end of 2019.  Then they extended that until the end of 2020.  Now they have extended it with no set timetable.  
Alarm Relay's email says December 2022 for 3G CDMA. 

ano said:
Alarm Relay's email says December 2022 for 3G CDMA. 
Alarm Relay is not a carrier, so what they state is meaningless.

The carrier's 3G shutdown was delayed once before. Verizon initially planned to switch the network off at the end of 2019, but that year it told Light Reading that it would wait until the end of 2020. There's no new date for when 3G will officially shut down, though Verizon says it is working to decommission the old network as soon as possible "while continuing to care for our customers."

So direct from Verizon is no set date.  So the date that Alarm Relay gave is THEIR date; not when the network is shutdown.

My contract, and whom I pay for service is Alarm Relay.  I have no idea what their contract with the carrier is. If my service provider tells me I need to change equipment, I am going to believe it.  

Back