Alexa outside - how to secure it

I was thinking of putting an Echo dot on my porch.  I want to control the lights, Audio, fan, etc. outside.  However, anyone could walk up to the porch and speak to it. 

Is there a way to limit the controls that a specific dot can use?  It seems like all devices are accessible by all dots and I don't see a way to control this? 

And routines do let you specify which devices can trigger them but it appears that the only option is one specific device or all devices, not a selected group of devices.

So I am guessing that there is no way to do this without opening up everything thats connected - but perhaps someone has figured this out?

Just plug it into a controlled outlet and only activate it when you’re outside, using whatever ruleset/sensors/control suites your family.

That’s how mine is, I have a button on an Insteon KPL in the kitchen at back porch door that turns on/off the outlet that powers the outside dot. We just turn it on on our way out there. I have rules that make sure it’s off if the house is unoccupied or we’re asleep.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roussell said:
Just plug it into a controlled outlet and only activate it when you’re outside, using whatever ruleset/sensors/control suites your family. That’s how mine is, I have a button on an Insteon KPL in the kitchen at back porch door that turns on/off the outlet that powers the outside dot. We just turn it on on our way out there. I have rules that make sure it’s off if the house is unoccupied or we’re asleep. Terry Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don'y have Alexa, so no experience, but couldn't a nefarious person simply unplug it from the controlled outlet, walk to the other side of the house and plug it into a live outlet?

They could, but they’d need a ladder and a screwdriver - and by then the cameras would have them and the back gate opening would have sounded the alarm ;-)

Switching the power to it is a good idea.  Plus the outlets are hidden above the drop ceiling so it would be very difficult to get to.  I find it humorous all of the ways in which some of the posters are figuring out how to get into a house using Alexa on the outside.  Can you really imagine someone going to these lengths?  Maybe there are a band of HA burglars running around?

Yeh even if they did get the Dot functioning, the most they could do is turn on the lights or change the music or HVAC, no automated door locks here and the garage doors are unknown to Alexa. Also, this is Alabama so there’s a really good chance you’ll get your dumb ass shot LOL.

Yeah but we are the honest ones.

The crooks probably have smarter ways and the time to think up better one yet. LOL

Sent using Tapatalk

Yeah it's not really a secure device, which makes you wonder how many people from your house, in-between, and working at Amazon can unlock your stuff.   The people making it just don't have a security mindset.

You could try to set up a separate account for it and  just give it control to the devices on your porch.

Back