Alternative to WIFI?

Anyone have any experience with these? I saw a company demo units like this with streaming video over ethernet at CES last year (I think its in my CES review somewhere).

Does the signal from a powerline network adapter stay inside the house or do your neighbors see it too (like x10 or a cable modem)?

From what I've seen, everything that happens with X-10 applies. If multiple houses are on the same transformer, the signal will go there, too.

BSR,
Do you really care about wireless security? I leave my wireless connection wide open but then again my nearest neighbor is 50 or so yards away so I seriously doubt he would be able to use my signal and if he does oh well.

So you have indoor cameras? That would make a difference.

Are we talking wireless indoor cameras?

Rupp said:
BSR,
Do you really care about wireless security? I leave my wireless connection wide open but then again my nearest neighbor is 50 or so yards away so I seriously doubt he would be able to use my signal and if he does oh well.
You do realize that wireless traffic can be sniffed with a simple program, so anyone driving by can look at what sites you are going to, maybe even break in to your systems and install a keylogger to capture passwords and credit cards. If you have kids, you better care too, as you don't want anyone finding out where the kids hang out (chat rooms, forums) so they can impersonate someone and lure the kids into a trap. I know some of this stuff is far fetched, but it only takes one person to do some serious damage. If you really don't care and leave everything wide open, you can be assured that your house is mapped using GPS coordinates on the internet as a hotspot :)

If you really don't care and leave everything wide open, you can be assured that your house is mapped using GPS coordinates on the internet as a hotspot

Out of curiosity, I ran a wifi-locating program (wififofum) on my wifi-enabled PDA during a 12 mile drive from a bookstore to my apartment. Driving at speeds from 20 to 45 mph on local roads, I identfied 192 access points. Probably about half were not using WEP. Most were using SSIDs like Linksys, Belkin, or a combination of letters and numbers that I assume are created by the local cable or ADSL providers when they set up networks. I did not try to connect to any of these. I assume that someone who really wanted to find a connection would have been able to. And someone who really wanted to could have been doing a lot of sniffing (but not as they drove by).

I did not have my bluetooth gps yet so I didn't record the locations of these access points.

Dan,
I have trouble connecting to my wireless router from one end of my house to the other, so with that in mind, I'm not loosing too much sleep worrying about some one driving through my neighborhood and sniffing my signal out. I have tested my laptop at the street and there is no signal to be had. It seems that a persons location molds their level of security and here in Northern Alabama, we simply do not have the security concerns that many others do. It amazes me the number of people that frequent this BB and HS BB that install security systems. That is something most people in our area do not have or use. I guess one reason is what good are they when the nearest police station is .. err ... we do not have a police station. So who going to come. :)
Heck we don't even have enough state police officers to patrol the one major interstate. Site

Rupp:

Sounds like you live in a great area! Most of us are not as fortunate though.

A security system doesn't necessarily have to summon the police, it can also Email or call your neighbor(s) or your pager. It also acts as a deterrent with its lights/sirens/etc...

Back