Alula

I phased out my Leviton/HAI OP2 in favor of a Qolsys IQ panel 2.  The Qolsys system is primarily a wireless device system.  But I had a lot of hardwired motion sensors, glass break detectors etc. that I wanted to tie into my new Qolsys panel.  The solution I used was the Alula  RE508X Universal Hardwire to Wireless Translator.  The translator has proven to be highly reliable and I'm satisfied with it's performance.

I might also venture to add that a lot of pro installers in my area use Alula products in the various security solutions that they have to offer.

Here is a free tech support     Alula professional dealers and installers facebook group. If you have any questions.

BobS0327 said:
I phased out my Leviton/HAI OP2 in favor of a Qolsys IQ panel 2.  T

Hi,

I am trying to decide what panel to use in my second house.  The security panel with integrated automation landscape looks pretty abysmal with Omni gone and Elk being superannuated and perhaps gone soon too.

Since you have experience with Omni, you could probably comment on what functionality one would be missing in comparison to Elk/Omni ?  Is there some rudimentary automation support ?

After briefly skimming through manuals, I saw some zwave support and apparently the security  RF is the ancient GE/Interlogic unencrypted 319.5MHz protocol.  There is apparently no inexpensive secondary keypad option, one has to buy another Android based touch screen panel to communicate with the main one.

Would not using the panel be a step backwards in comparison to Elk/Omni ?

Thanks !

I'd go the opposite route; integrate the alarm panel into an HA system and let the HA system handle the automation tasks.  HA systems will continue to evolve, new technologies will come out.  Replacing alarm panels to keep up doesn't seem like a viable option.

vc1234 said:
Since you have experience with Omni, you could probably comment on what functionality one would be missing in comparison to Elk/Omni ?  Is there some rudimentary automation support ?
I had never considered replacing my Omni with a Elk product.  My primary goal was to physically separate security from HA.  Thus, I have Qolsys as my security system and a few RPI's and Homeseer software doing all my HA tasks.  IMHO, integrating security & HA on the same controller board such as the Omni/Elk would severely limit the innovation of that product.  For example, an extensive HA upgrade would probably require the controller to go through an in depth  recertification process to be UL Listed.  IMHO, the Elk and Omni have not gone thru any extensive innovation updates in years because of this situation.

AFAIK, the ONLY integrated HA that you may find on the modern controllers would be Zwave since it UL approved.  It is UL 1023 compliant.

By keeping my security and HA physically separated allows me to build a HA system that is  not only flexible and robust but also allows me to experiment with new HA technologies.

BobS0327 said:
By keeping my security and HA physically separated allows me to build a HA system that is  not only flexible and robust but also allows me to experiment with new HA technologies.
Thanks !

I wonder if you looked at other options such as DSC, Concord 4, Simon.  I skimmed through the manuals, but still not sure why Qolsys IQ panel 2 is better (it does not support hardwired sensors directly for example).  Could you share what specific features made you choose Qolsys over say Concord 4 ?

So, after looking at several alternatives to Elk, it seems that a DSC PC1864 with envisalink  to integrate to a separate automation controller (e.g. homeseer) might be a reasonable substitute. Or perhaps Honewell Vista.

Qolsys IQ panel 2+ while being more modern  (than for example DSC PC1864) and having wifi connectivity does not appear to offer any integration ability ? The wifi connectivity is used to link to a monitoring company only, it appears, and does not offer an API to implement integration.

Making a solution that combines security and automation was always difficult. 

My first security panel here was purchased in the 1980's.  It did the regular security panel stuff plus had speech and used X10. 

Here been doing that since the beginning of my automation endeavors in the late 1970's.

Today the house is a sandbox of automation mostly and have left hard security (life and safety stuff) autonmous from automation.

Running Homeseer since the late 1990's and tinkering with new open source solutions that I see a fit for.

Back