Analogue & HD TV Tuner cards

Smarty

Time to start setting up a PVR and TV distribution system (new home construction).

It seem that some folks here like the Hauppauge PVR250 card. My question is: with digital broadcasts becoming more prevalent, does this card work with HDTV broadcasts? (PVR250MCE or PVR250)?

If not, how about the "ATI HDTV Wonder TV and HDTV Tuner PCI Card" which claims to be able to work with both types of TV signals. Does this have the hardware compression like the PVR250?

Next question. If I record with a server machine (that is in a closet away from the TV), and want to play to my big screen how do I do it? I'd rather not have a computer by my TV, but I do realize that I will need a "decent" video card (with component or DVI out) to make the best use of my TV tuner card.

I have not seen DVI cables that are terrible long (65+ feet). Ideas?

BTW, I plan to use Xlobby and the XMLTV plugin if possible. All cards are to be PCI, my MB's do not have any other types of slots. Comments welcome.

Check the sagetv forums for tons of posts on this, but i'm pretty skittish on dual tuner-type cards. If one doesn't work well, you need to replace both.

PVR150/250 cannot record ATSC(HD) signals. I got a PVR250 and a CatsEye(used to have a Fusion).

For your server/TV run, you could get something like an ATI 9800 Pro that has an adapter to turn VGA->component [search on purple dongle on their site] for $25ish, then run mini-coax/3RG6 from PC to TV.

IVB,
I didn't see ANY PCI style cards that would support ATI's VGA->component adapter (a concept that would work in my situation).

I guess that's what I get (just PCI slots) for buying cheaper computers.

Question: If a channel is broadcast (over the air) in HD, can you still record it (in non HD) with the PVR 150/250?

I can't seem to see any spec difference between the 150 and 250. Am I missing something?

those 2 cards are almost identical, and won't record any HD at all. You need to get something like the AverMedia avertvhd card, which is very affordable and works with MCE.

Smarty said:
IVB,
I didn't see ANY PCI style cards that would support ATI's VGA->component adapter (a concept that would work in my situation).

I guess that's what I get (just PCI slots) for buying cheaper computers.

Question: If a channel is broadcast (over the air) in HD, can you still record it (in non HD) with the PVR 150/250?

I can't seem to see any spec difference between the 150 and 250. Am I missing something?
The card itself doesn't have component out.

Get one of these cards:
- ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500 Series
- RADEON 9500 Series
- RADEON 9600 Series
- RADEON 9600 PRO PC & MAC Edition (Compatible with PC users only)
- RADEON 9700 Series
- RADEON 9800 Series

Get this DVI to component dongle

Plug cables in.
Turn TV on.
Sit back, enjoy :D

[ok, there may be some swearing to get the right resolution, prevent underscan/overscan/etc)

When using the "DVI" to "component" adapter mentioned, any idea what the maximum length run might be?

IVB, you mentioned using mini-coax or 3 runs of RG6. Do you think I could get about 65ft and still have a good "component" signal (regular TV run with RG6 is good for way over 65 ft).

i've never personally done it, but the pro's that hang out on the HomeIntegration forum over on avsforum commonly talk about runs that length or longer.

One note about that ATI DVI adapter. I use this adapter, and if you try to play back copy protected DVD's in 1080i/p, MCE will not let you do this. I actually have to rip my DVD's to my HD, so I can play them.

Not too big of a deal, since I have a big HD based DVD library anyways, but it can be a pain if you like renting. MCE enforces this protection mechinism, not sure if other applications will. Just wanted to mention this so there are no surprises.

Back