Any decent documentation on Hobby Boards stuff?

OK So I've got my Hobby Boards modules, thanks Eric.

Now I want to integratewith Weather Display. I've identified the ROM IDs after some hassle getting one wire viewer to work. Now I want to check the sensors are working (already found the battery wire not soldered on the lightning detector and a suspect joint on the solar sensor)

So what I am looking for is a list of boards and the type of chip one wire viewer will find and what sensor readings I can expect if they work in spec. Are you supposed to format memory in the rain counter for example, what happens if you do. All this sort of info should be around.

Why isn't this information readily available, surely I'm not the first to want to use these things.

Overall, quite frustrated. I know Tim's book is available, but I don't want to build my own weather station boards, I just paid $500 for Eric to do that :)

I know this is supposed to be fun, I've been "doing electronics" for over fourty years so I can get there eventually, but I want to get a weather station up and running and need the info quickly.

Is the wind instrument AAG Version 3 or what, and how to configure the barometer in Weather Display.

Any help will be appreciated.

Barry G4HDU
www.keal.me.uk

I feel your pain, I was in the same spot as you a couple months ago.

It all clicked eventually but without any documentaion and just a pile of hardware it is very confusing. I had no idea what to do next or what I was supposed to see on the one wire viewer. If you read down further and find my original post I was quite upset also.

I myself own a company that sells electronic parts and I am well versed in vintage vacuum tube building and design but the weather hardware and how to get software to work with it was very confusing without a roadmap.

I have a library of information on my web site that has projects and shows people exactly what they can do with these parts.

It sells way more parts and helps people get a handle on how to use things, where to use them, etc.

BTW, I gave up on weather display, it had way too many bells and whistles and was very confusing to set up.

Here is a link to several pages on my web site with info on the Hobby boards stuff and Wserver. I have added a rain gauge and a barometer since the screen shots on my pages were taken.
http://76.162.4.197/Misc/home/OneWireWeather.htm

I went with Wserver which is a simple, esay to use program.
Check out the link on the Hobby boards site to Wserver.

If only I'd known about that two days ago could have kept what's left of my hair instead of pulling it out!

Maybe Eric should make a sticky post pointing to your resource and we "frustrateds" can add our own findings, or develop some kind of FAQ.

Main reason for using WD is the weather display live flash plugin. I might look further at wserver to see what its output is and maybe then see about integrating it into WDL. Like you say, WD is very complex, one false move and everything else can be affected.

Thanks very much for your help (and sympathy). I'll try to document my problems with the fixes that I found for my situation. I can then put them on my sites www.keal.me.uk and www.maghull.org.uk

Barry,

I understand your frustrations.

We are working on updating the How-To's with more information but it may take a while. We are a very small company so unfortunately it can take a while to get thing documented.

If there is any information you still need then let me know and I will try to provide it.

Eric

Hi Eric

Yes I was frustrated, not disapointed or angry, with the boards, they're really great and I will be getting more from you.

I appreciate that the documentation takes time to develop, I develop addons (plugins) at my site www.keal.me.uk for the great CMS, e107, in my spare time along with being an Anglican Priest and having a full time job as an IT manager for a social care charity and know how much time can be at a premium.

The community you have here and at Weather Display have been great, thanks to all who have helped me.

Barry

Barry,
What does the flash feature you mentioned do?

I am just guessing you want weather banners, etc on a web page?

If so, weather underground lets you add banners with your weather station data.

I upload my weather station data to weather underground and use their html code pasted into web pages.

It's not flash though.

PS, I just updated a bunch of info on my web page.

EL34 said:
Barry,
What does the flash feature you mentioned do?

I am just guessing you want weather banners, etc on a web page?

If so, weather underground lets you add banners with your weather station data.

I upload my weather station data to weather underground and use their html code pasted into web pages.

It's not flash though.

PS, I just updated a bunch of info on my web page.
Its the weather display live flash display http://www.maghull.org.uk/e107_plugins/wrap/wrap.php?1

I just think it looks rather nice for non weather people to look at

Does look rather "flash" doesn't it. Its weather display live and hangs off weather display, it is very configurable too (and very inexpensive)

Back