Any good non-directional LED bulbs?

mdonovan

I've pretty much replaced all the recessed lights I need to for now with Cree lights. Now I'm ready to replace some regular light bulbs. I have ordered all the recessed lights from polar-ray.com, but it looks to me like their bulb lights are all directional, shining out the top of the bulb. I want to replace a couple bulbs in a floor lamp, which means the light would be shining on the ceiling, and some outside porch lights which are mounted horizontally, which means the light would shine at the wall.

Can anyone recommend a good non-directional LED light bulb?

Matt

I have also found that most look directional.

I tried a EarthLED EvoLuxS and it is very directional and my ceiling gets nice and bright.
There marketing Hype also is misleading on how bright is is.
In my case also made so much power line noise it was effecting Insteon messages.

That looks very close to what I'm looking for, but I wanted more of an incandescent look, and the colors they list appear to be more white. They might be ok, I'm just not an expert in light bulb colors. I just go by the fact that the Crees I used are 2700 K, and these list at 3000 K for the soft white. I don't know if that would really matter to me or not. I guess the only way to tell would be to get one and see.

Thanks for the pointer.

Matt

I have also found that most look directional.

I tried a EarthLED EvoLuxS and it is very directional and my ceiling gets nice and bright.
There marketing Hype also is misleading on how bright is is.
In my case also made so much power line noise it was effecting Insteon messages.

My ceiling / wall do not need to be any brighter than they are now.

Looking at their advertising fluff they make it look like they are non-directional. The pictures they show here:

http://www.lumiabulbs.com/catalog/item/6937736/6938356.htm

look like they would be ok. Although at $90 a pop, I'm not sure I want to risk it ordering one to try it out. Thanks for posting though. They may work. I need to look at them closer. Although you mention their marketing is, shall we say, less than accurate.

Matt

They might be ok, I'm just not an expert in light bulb colors. I just go by the fact that the Crees I used are 2700 K, and these list at 3000 K for the soft white. I don't know if that would really matter to me or not. I guess the only way to tell would be to get one and see.
I found them to be just a bit brighter than incandescent. But, not so much that you would mistake them for daylight.

My how the price has changed or there is a typo.
I paid $79.99 and I thought for a time they where reduced to $59.99

One thing they do have a small fan in them. Most times you can't hear it.

Personally, If I were you I would look at CCFL (cold-cathode compact fluorescent). I know you specified that you were looking for LED, but in my opinion the technology is just not there yet for non-directional lighting applications like lamps and wall fixtures. CCFLs will generally come to full brightness immediately and and dimmable and usually work in cold climates. Plus at aprox $15 dollars Vs. the 60 or 70 you will currently pay for LED solutions I think its wise to wait at least one product life cycle for the LEDs to catch up in price and tech.

P.s. With regard to the evolux, I personally thing, if you need a fan in a residential bulb, the tech is not mature yet! Additionally, I know that the lifespan is greatly increased, but it just bugs me that when they die, you have to throw out the entire bulb, not just the led components. That just seems like a lot to just toss in the landfull (of course CFLs suffer from this to some extent as well, but at least most big box stores will accept them for recycling now).

That reminds me, one other + for CCFL over CFL, they use much less mercury.

The new DEFINITY LED bulb in the familiar A19 shape is dimmable and a direct replacement for the most common incandescent bulb
Unlike compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), the DEFINITY LED bulb contains no mercury, is completely recyclable,
and offers outstanding light quality. In most home applications,

From Home Depot - 360 degree

Personally, If I were you I would look at CCFL (cold-cathode compact fluorescent). I know you specified that you were looking for LED, but in my opinion the technology is just not there yet for non-directional lighting applications like lamps and wall fixtures. CCFLs will generally come to full brightness immediately and and dimmable and usually work in cold climates. Plus at aprox $15 dollars Vs. the 60 or 70 you will currently pay for LED solutions I think its wise to wait at least one product life cycle for the LEDs to catch up in price and tech.

P.s. With regard to the evolux, I personally thing, if you need a fan in a residential bulb, the tech is not mature yet! Additionally, I know that the lifespan is greatly increased, but it just bugs me that when they die, you have to throw out the entire bulb, not just the led components. That just seems like a lot to just toss in the landfull (of course CFLs suffer from this to some extent as well, but at least most big box stores will accept them for recycling now).

That reminds me, one other + for CCFL over CFL, they use much less mercury.

Thanks for posting, but I absolutely hate fluorescent light. Even if they gave them away I wouldn't take them. I do appreciate your posting though.

Matt

The new DEFINITY LED bulb in the familiar A19 shape is dimmable and a direct replacement for the most common incandescent bulb
Unlike compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), the DEFINITY LED bulb contains no mercury, is completely recyclable,

These look interesting. I'll take a closer look at these.

Matt

Hmmm. I don't see these on the Home Depot web site. That's where you got them? I don't see any online sellers either. It looks like they are new, so maybe that's why.

Matt

That Definity LED sounds too good to be true. 770 lumens at 9 watts??

http://www.ecnmag.com/News/2010/05/DEFINIT...eve-770-Lumens/

The LED bulbs I like are the Feit PerformanceLED. But they are not dimmable, and I haven't tried the A19 version yet since they don't sell it locally. They have all the other ones at Lowes though.

http://www.feit.com/feit_led_hiperformance.html

I believe the A19 is listed on the downloadable PDF. At least it used to be.

Hmm, I just checked, and the specs on these Definity bulbs look pretty good. The only place I can find them now is Ebay though.

http://products.lsgc.com/lamps/

Edit: The ones are ebay are listed as delivery in 32-39 days. They must not be out yet.

That Definity LED sounds too good to be true. 770 lumens at 9 watts??

http://www.ecnmag.com/News/2010/05/DEFINIT...eve-770-Lumens/

The LED bulbs I like are the Feit PerformanceLED. But they are not dimmable, and I haven't tried the A19 version yet since they don't sell it locally. They have all the other ones at Lowes though.

http://www.feit.com/feit_led_hiperformance.html

I believe the A19 is listed on the downloadable PDF. At least it used to be.

Hmm, I just checked, and the specs on these Definity bulbs look pretty good. The only place I can find them now is Ebay though.

http://products.lsgc.com/lamps/

Edit: The ones are ebay are listed as delivery in 32-39 days. They must not be out yet.

I guess I can't find them because they aren't there yet. Thanks for the tips on the other bulbs. I'll take a look at them. I'm not in a huge rush to replace the bulbs, but now that I have these LED can lights I keep thinking to myself every time I turn my floor lamp "That one light bulb is using more electric than the 5 can lights in the kitchen combined".

Where did you see them on ebay? searching for Definity LED didn't return any results, and just LED returned a bazillion.

Matt

Back