Any new UPB announcements at EHX?

I saw in another thread about some interesting UPB changes that were coming. Any word on what those changes are or when they will be coming. I'm evaluating lighting technologies and currently have a few insteon switches but wanted to try some UPB switches before I went all out.

-Josh

I think we will see a bunch of new products shortly.

PCS recently announced a bunch of new plug in devices like X10 to UPB converters and bridges and also plug in phase couplers.

At the EhExpo show, PCS was showing their next generation switches that will come out in the next couple of months. At first, we thought this was a secret but it appears that they showed it to so many people that I guess it's not. The new switches will also have a dimming bar.

HAI is incorporating an IR receiver into their 6 button keypads - no extra charge.

Simply Automated is planning on a bunch of new stuff as well.

I just completed my Pulseworx 102 training class at PCS. There will be a new switch, generation two, that will have a built in timer feature. Use this switch for a ventilation fan in a bathroom or other uses. Program it to turn on and stay on for 30 minutes then shut itself off. Nice feature.

I was waiting on permission from PCS to say anything, but since the word is already out... the gen 2 switches also eliminate or greatly reduce the double tap delay.

Great, I am just about ready to buy 20+ switches, waiting and having only half of the switches workign 'right' will not be high on the WAF ;)

I would wait for generation two for a large purchase. They will also be backwards compatible with all first generation switches.

acheslow said:
Any idea if existing switches can receive a firmware update for the new features?
Unfortunately I don't think that is doable by an end user if at all. It would certainly be nice if UPStart could reflash a switches firmware, but that would open up a whole new ketlle o' worms.

acheslow said:
Any idea if existing switches can receive a firmware update for the new features?
I asked that question at the training class. The answer is no. However it may be possible in the future, but not with Gen two either.

rfdesq said:
I would wait for generation two for a large purchase. They will also be backwards compatible with all first generation switches.
It is good to hear that UPB has a new spin of hardware I just wish it happened a few months ago (or next year ;)

AFAICT right now I have a 4 maybe 5 weeks until the electrician will expect switches. More info would be appreciated what features, at what cost from which manufacturer?

Chuck

hucker said:
AFAICT right now I have a 4 maybe 5 weeks until the electrician will expect switches. More info would be appreciated what features, at what cost from which manufacturer?
The price keeps dropping. Is there any way for you to have your electrician drop in plain decora switches at $2 a piece and then replace them when gen two becomes available?

I can do anything, I'd like to see what the features are before I make any decisions. I'm biting off a lot with this install hvpro, caddx, rcs stats and UPB, I don't want to loose WAF if I don't need to ;)

Chuck

The only things I heard were six colors of LED's, timer, quicker response, better overall reliability, and new hardware to go with the firmware.

Is the double tap delay fix only in the PCS or the SA switches as well?

I have 12 Insteon switches right now and I have been holding off on more. But for this I may dump Insteon for good...

PCS did mention that there would be upgrades to the other manufacturers as well but did not get specific.

Back