Any recommendations on Cat6a connectors?

cmarcus

We're nearing the LV wiring stage of our new home. I'm having Cat6A UTP installed everywhere so to offset the added cost of the cable I will be doing the terminations myself. The options seemed to be somewhat limited on Cat6a keystone connectors with prices ranging from ~$3 to well over $10 per connector. I'm specifically looking for connectors that will allow two keystone connectors to be installed side-by-side in a decora style wall plate. In an ideal world, I'd also like something that can be used with one of those 4 pair punch down tools like the Dynacom Kwik Tool or something comparable. Can anyone offer up some recommendations for connectors they like?

I'm also willing to entertain just Cat6 connectors at this point. I don't expect to need Cat6a spec'ed connectors anytime soon.

One of the first questions I might get is why I'm shelling out $$$ for Cat6A instead of going with just Cat6. Basically, I'm making two bets:
1. 40G Ethernet will be available at a reasonable price within 10 years and will be achievable on short runs of Cat6a cable. I think the longest run I will have is ~35m so I could run 10G on just Cat6. However, I want to future-proof the wiring a bit and the speed achievements over UTP cable have been impressive over the years. It would not surprise me to see 40G over Cat6a UTP for runs less than 40m. Do I need it? No, but I have no idea what the future holds.
2. I'm hoping the HDMI over CatX technologies improve in years to come. I'd like to be able to do future HDMI specs over single or dual Cat6A.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Considering I couldn't find any CAT6a connectors on monoprice or a few other "consumer grade" type of sites I would say you would probably be better of using the CAT6 connectors until you need the full 6a capability. The 6a connectors are $11 to $14 everywhere I check.

On a side note, check out this connector...pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq6uLVuDaqg

Yes, that cat6a connector does look pretty cool.

From the video, looks like 6a requires STP, but a brief search shows that is not the case.

There's nothing on the market today or in the foreseeable future that indicates the need for anything greater than Cat5e for today through at least the next 5 years for residential use; even then will be extreme needs - Cat 6a run today should last 20 years before you're taxing it.

There's a lot of talk regarding the use of HDMI over category cabling, and fact of the matter is it really doesn't work properly, skew and timing are the main items battling this, without getting into that whole side discussion on Category cabling for HDMI or other spec that has yet to come down the pike. Data cabling is not ideal for video distribution, no matter what the format or conversion methods being used, either now or down the road, unless there's some sort of movement to edge and TCP/IP based devices and more smart monitors.

The other main items of contention is unless the whole install is done up front and then shot with a pentascanner and verified, assuming and guessing the cable will perform now, let alone in the future is IMO honestly a pipe dream, no matter what the advances are in UTP and hardware. If the cable isn't performing up to spec from the original install, cutting ends and reterminating 5-10 years down the road isn't going to fix a cable installation issue.

I'm still leaning towards fiber being used in situations where it was installed during construction, however I can't say that I can see it really being a retrofit product for many installs out there.

I have successfully run HD over Cat5e - took some experimentation to find the right extender, and it wasn't cheap. The experimentation process actually permanently damaged one 42" TV too somehow. That said, I'd never plan for it - it's a last resort. If you can pull the right cable, do it now!

Of course there are lots of new developments in that area - with HDBaseT and all the new extenders. I have a brand new one from SnapAV I'm going to test out in a few weeks - to see about relocating equipment... if their technology is any good, it'll be great for bar/club clients - but, I'd always prefer the proper cables.

Back