Anyone jumped ship from HAI yet?

I added homeseer to start looking at some of the options it may give me. Started with the Amazon echo voice integration. However, it might be my imagination or some other issues, but it seems to be slowing doing responses from my some of my OP2 actions. Example, when a certain zone is not ready, turn on a few zwave lights. Unplugging the homeseer seems to put things back to normal. Has anyone seen this? I'm on the latest firmware for homeseer and the HAI plugin. Thanks. SJ

Curious what version of Homeseer you are running and on what hardware?

I have only tested the Amazon Echo plugin for Homeseer but not used it; if that makes sense to you.

I am currently playing with Homeseer Pro and Homeseer Zee-2 (lite) on three machines.

Running Homeseer Pro and Homeseer Lite on Ubuntu 64 bit machines today.

I test the speed of events using MS SAPI voice fonts embedded in my events / scripts. 

Also testing a MS Kinect Plugin / Alexa Plugin running on a Windows 10 machine / touchscreen talking to the mothership.

I look at the hard numbers on the boxes using Webmin / Webminstats.

pete_c said:
Understood Ano.

When was the flashable / 5 serial port OmniPro2 panel released? 

Was the chipped  / 3 serial port OmniPro2 panel released in the late 1990's?

Google some and see that the OmniPro 2 with ethernet interface was introduced in 2002....I was off a bit here.

March, 2002

OmniPro II is HAI’s 6th generation controller. Based on the all-new Omni II platform, the OmniPro II is HAI’s most powerful and connectable system ever. It is the top-of-the-line in HAI’s Omni family of controllers, designed for large homes and small to medium commercial environments. Like all HAI controllers, the OmniPro II’s price/performance ratio is best in its class.

• Three (3) built-in serial ports supporting Omni-Link (for HAI PC Access, HAI Web-Link II and Connectivity Partner connection) and Pro-Link (programmable ASCII messaging) in RS-232 or RS-485
  • Ethernet port hardware built-in for future (summer 2002) connection to premises network

Sounds about 15 years overdue for some new features to keep customers buying into the Omnipro.... since network connectivity was popular with techies long before 2002

pete_c said:
Curious what version of Homeseer you are running and on what hardware?

I have only tested the Amazon Echo plugin for Homeseer but not used it; if that makes sense to you.

I am currently playing with Homeseer Pro and Homeseer Zee-2 (lite) on three machines.

Running Homeseer Pro and Homeseer Lite on Ubuntu 64 bit machines today.

I test the speed of events using MS SAPI voice fonts embedded in my events / scripts. 

Also testing a MS Kinect Plugin / Alexa Plugin running on a Windows 10 machine / touchscreen talking to the mothership.

I look at the hard numbers on the boxes using Webmin / Webminstats.
Using the HomeTroller Zee S2. I'm thinking my zwave network is getting slow. Maybe time to try and optimize, but wondered whether the integration between my OP2 and homeseer causes slowdowns as I assume they are constantly chatting. SJ

Using the HomeTroller Zee S2. I'm thinking my zwave network is getting slow. Maybe time to try and optimize, but wondered whether the integration between my OP2 and homeseer causes slowdowns as I assume they are constantly chatting.

Yes the OP2 and the Zee do chat.  Check out the debug logs.  It is not that much though.

IE: Triggered a motion sensor around 30 minutes ago.  I have not seen any plugin debug log activity since then.

Here replicated my HS3 Z-Wave GPIO card over to the HAI VRCOP.  

The solution is coming soon :) Might not have to drop your Omni either. PM me if you'd like to alpha test - need a Mac running 10.12.

@SJHart

Attached a couple of graphs.  This is via the microrouter between the HAI ethernet interface and the OpenWRT interface. 

Notice how little traffic is talking to the HAI OmniPro ethernet interface.  It isn't much.

HAI Traffic.jpg

lupinglade said:
The solution is coming soon :) Might not have to drop your Omni either. PM me if you'd like to alpha test - need a Mac running 10.12.

If you want to make any real market penetration, you'll need to go multi-platform.  Staying a Mac only app is not going to get you far.

Homeseer runs on Wintel, Mac (using Mono) and Linux (using Mono) these days. 

You can utilize the built in event / trigger engine or just script it.

Personally jumped ship from running Homeseer on Wintel server to Ubuntu Linux.

In Linux it'll run on 32 / 64 bit Arm or Intel based CPUs.  (RPi flavors, Intel whatever, AMD whatever)

Consoles run on iThisandDat, Android or Wintel 10  / 3rd party Windows 10 mobile.

I've been very happy using the Homeseer Zee device and Amazon's Alexa to control the OPII. No more fiddling for remotes or keypads. I just say what I want to do as I sit or walk around the house.
  1. OP II
  2. Homeseer Zee S2 device (Basically a Pi device which Includes Homeseer software)
  3. HAI Plugin
  4. Alexa (Echo)
  5. Alexa Homeseer Skill

We're building a new house and I'll be installing an OmniPro II. We had an OnQ panel (aka Aegis, aka OmniPro with a few more features) in the last house and I'm very comfortable with it. The reliability was top notch and it did everything I needed.

Primarily I'm looking for the tight integration of lighting and security, along with flood/smokes/CO/combustible gas sensors. The bummer for me is that ALC lighting is NLA - it was fast and dead reliable. I'll give HLC a try, but it won't be as fast which is too bad.

In the last house we had thermostat integration but the new heat pumps are variable speed compressor and fan, which requires manufacturer thermostats. Those support Nexia, haven't researched that yet. Maybe they will integrate, if not it's no biggie. The main thing I want to do is shut off all fans during a smoke/fire event. That's mandatory in commercial buildings and a good idea in residences.

I'm fine with RS-232 interface to other equipment, although welcome the LAN interface for UI. As an embedded engineer I miss having RS-232 on embedded hardware. It was really nice having a hardware interface to embedded boards that did not require a USB stack. It made board bring-up really easy and didn't break with updates.

I really don't care about integrating everything in the house. I'm fine with the motorized shades being manually controlled and don't care about Alexa or any technology that listens all the time. Cameras will be a standalone system. I'm fine with operating the entertainment systems with a Harmony remote that doesn't have to interface with the OPII.

IMO there is a point of diminishing returns when trying to integrate everything under the sun, a hassle factor. For me HA is about convenience and security and isn't a hobby. I want to set it up and forget it. I have other hobbies that keep me busy and give me much more enjoyment.

Back