Anyone recommend a good tablet for wall mounting?

The PiPo* devices look interesting...  I shy away from Windows and would be more interested in running android/linux/etc on it.

Here's more of my thoughts/comments/questions/etc: (sorry for the flow-of-consciousness format).

I'm not especially looking for a wall-mount devices, but rather a table/desk-top device.  Ethernet/POE eliminates any battery and charging issues.  The device is only somewhat mobile.  No need for cameras, GPS, WAN, compass, etc, etc.  Android to leverage existing App's.  POE powered makes sense as POE is a great standard to distribute LV DC around the house.  And it you have POE, use wired ethernet and forget the wifi..  Not opposed to wifi if you need it.  Thinking of a 'raspberry pi' type device running Android with a multi-touch display.  It could be wall-mounted or table/desk-top.  Hey, if you want to add a battery&wifi it could be house-mobile too.

But it should be more than a 'duct-tape' prototype...   That's why I asked about off-the-shelf android tablets.  It sounds like a nice general purpose HA UI device.  I know that many folks like mobile devices (phones, tablets, etc).  But I want something 'always on' (so forget battery powered).  Unless you have a device + charging cradle (think cordless telephone).  Mobile phones and tablets aren't the best.   And if you have good UTP coverage in the rooms, a wired device works..  Granted, not the best for retrofit applications without UTP. 

Am I missing something?  Does something like this exist?  Maybe I should google a bit more...

The new Russound XTS device http://www.russound.com/product_detail.php?i=3431  motivated some of these thoughts.  It's proprietary/closed.  But an open device sounds better...

My current Atom based embedded tabletop tablets run Linux 14.04 32 bit and Android XX today and XPe.  These are running via POE or wireless today.  The PiPoX7/8 use less power than my current tabletops. 

I prefer Linux for my touchscreen stuff. 

That said relating to how many bells and whistles I get I get the most from Wintel (Xpe, W7 or W10) right now. (remote controlling the device from the mothership aside from using the touchscreen interface).

I have cooked up a few Android builds and there was just too much of the original mobile base (causing me to distaste the OS) of Android that I could not get rid of which had me abandoning the use of Android for my touchscreens. 

I also tested Linux on a couple of Android touchscreens and liked it way better.  That is me though.

For smart phone remote control it's fine though.  There is an RPi2 Android build / touchscreen DIY out there in internetlandia.  Looks to be plugnplay to me.  Not sure about what kind of performance you will get from the RPi2.  Quad core ARM CPU (900Mhz) and same old GPU works fine with KODI. I use KODI a bit to benchmark the device.  Not as fast though as what I am used to.  That is me though.  It should be OK though. (best guess).

Apolgies - corrected above and...

RPi2 is quad core 900MHz instead of RPi single core 700MHz CPU clock.
RPi2 is using1GB instead of the RPi using 512MB of RAM.
RPi2 GPU is the same as for the original Rasperry Pi.

Almost but not soup yet.  Not bad for a $35 computer.

Our solution is an HP Slate 21, mounted to the wall in an alcove near the front entrance.

One handy thing it does is to display our Axis cameras through the excellent Security Spy software running on a Mac Mini in the mechanical room.

Not POE but I did have power, and installed a 'clock outlet' on the wall. Wifi otherwise. ( would rather have cat, but didn't think of it when pulling. )

The Slate 21 ( the black , 'pro' model ) is touch sensitive, and can be run keyboard/mouse - less. Sometimes you can find them in a groupon deal.

FWIW, i moved away from fixed position screens, felt like I was wasting technology as it wasn't in use 99% of the time. I got a nice looking arm for the N7 instead, so I can pop it out and travel with it as needed. Plus every single family member has a smartphone, so if they really want to do something they can just use that. (plus we have 2 iPads to use as well). 

And seriously, 7" N7 for $250 vs $400 for a 7.9" iPad mini means iPad better?  But please, everyone go strictly buy apple stuff based on emotion, I have $60K of AAPL but only $30K of GOOG in my ira for a reason.  

IVB said:

And seriously, 7" N7 for $250 vs $400 for a 7.9" iPad mini means iPad better?  But please, everyone go strictly buy apple stuff based on emotion, I have $60K of AAPL but only $30K of GOOG in my ira for a reason.  
Don't forget resale value, Android tablets have very little. I have both and some things just work better on an iPad. I have a 21" HP Slate Pro and some things look like crap on it, I have an 8" tablet that also has apps that look like crap compared to the iPad version.

My CQC screens that have nice smooth gradients on the iPad app has ugly stepped gradients on all of my Android devices,

Geekland.co carries some wall mounted Android POE tablets that have a built in POE board. So you can directly connect these to a 48V POE 802.3af switch. This makes it very suitable to wall mount and run a cat 5 cable to the units.
They have both 7" and 10" POE models that can be flush or on wall vesa mounted.

Compared to taking standard android tablets and mounting on wall with a separate wall enclosure and then using a POE splitter, the built in POE capability is simple, easy to install and more cost effective.

Back