Anyone recommend a good tablet for wall mounting?

drvnbysound said:
Why should they? The last I checked the Android is an open platform, which would allow the protocols to change at any time. Additionally, various manufacturers/carriers (a la HTC Sense) are allowed to roll their own variation. They could invest plenty of effort into integration today, only to have it change next month. Then have how many customers complain that their phone doesn't work as advertised?

The same can be said about the security of Android... There has been PLENTY of discussion about who is responsible for security updates to be pushed to Android devices. Is it up to Google, the phone manufacturer, or your cell provider? In Apple's case, they take care of it on their own.

Well they could publish their own app that implements their API as well as giving it to partners so I don't see that as a problem.  There are various standards to rely on that are not going to change across devices or roms.  There is also MirrorLink (see below).  Car manufacturers don't want to give up control of their infotainment systems because they see it as a revenue stream, so they are as much to blame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP1-L2nw7UE

Frunple said:
LOL,
Wow... The point is both ends on an Android cable are USB. iDevices have a proprietary connector on one end.
So no, not in that case iDevices are USB too.  ;)

Yes, both ends of an Android cable are 'some' type of USB connector. But that's exactly the problem... it's not a standard type. I think most all Androids are currently using micro USB, but without a common form factor and connector location 3rd party manufacturers have to invest a lot of money to design and produce a docking station or case for a single device... and how long is that device going to be relevant before the form factor changes?

BTW: Proprietary items are generally only made by the prime manufacturer... that's what makes it proprietary. The 30-pin and the new 8-pin connectors aren't proprietary - there are plenty of manufacturers that offer their own products that use both of these connectors... including Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=112&cp_id=11213&cs_id=1120107&p_id=9928&seq=1&format=2

"One analyst speculated that Lightning could, just like the 30-pin connector, be used as the standard Apple charger and data connector for a decade."

drvnbysound said:
Yes, both ends of an Android cable are 'some' type of USB connector. But that's exactly the problem... it's not a standard type. I think most all Androids are currently using micro USB, but without a common form factor and connector location 3rd party manufacturers have to invest a lot of money to design and produce a docking station or case for a single device... and how long is that device going to be relevant before the form factor changes?

BTW: Proprietary items are generally only made by the prime manufacturer... that's what makes it proprietary. The 30-pin and the new 8-pin connectors aren't proprietary - there are plenty of manufacturers that offer their own products that use both of these connectors... including Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=112&cp_id=11213&cs_id=1120107&p_id=9928&seq=1&format=2

"One analyst speculated that Lightning could, just like the 30-pin connector, be used as the standard Apple charger and data connector for a decade."
Yes. Now go back and re-read this thread and you'll see you're now saying the same thing I said from post 1. 
So what's the point?

I doubt even Apple or Jobs himself could've ever predicted how many millions of devices would be sold with that 30-pin connector; that said, they did a damn good job at including just about everything and sticking to a standard as long as reasonably possible - until the design became a hinderance, then they made the decision to change to a new standard that could sustain a very long time and serves as an improvement to the original... they were even kind enough to offer a method for adapting new devices to old cables (for charging, car stereo integration, tabletop radios, etc)...  This isn't a shot at Android or others - but honestly Apple could've screwed us all if they'd wanted to - instead they handled this evolution quite well in my opinion.  Of course, I'd never pay $30 for an adapter - the $5 ones suit me much better!

The MirrorLink seems fine - but still isn't to the level of integration we got OEM on our latest GMC vehicle, or my truck with the 2007 Kenwood head unit.

That said, I have no desire to participate in any sort of OS Flame War - but I'm very open to hearing about what other options are out there... as stated by plenty above, it sure seems like all the best options are for iOS devices, and when we examine why, the reasons look pretty obvious.  I'd LOVE an equally great-looking android with similar wall-mount features that costs less - anyone know of any such?

Work2Play said:
And that micro USB on Android devices doesn't provide the same level of integration or control.

In our cars we have album art and song titles of whatever is playing from the iphones - including pandora or other music... in my wife's you can actually use the voice recognition to open pandora, choose a station, and even thumbs up/down songs...  It's definitely a tight level of integration that goes beyond what's generally offered over the standard USB connector.

FWIW, I get FAR more than that over Bluetooth to my Nexus 4 on the JVC Arsenal I just installed in my 12 year old BMW & 12 year old Pathfinder. IIRC, I get;
- name of incoming call
- ability to spin through phone address book using stereo dials
- pandora out the yin-yang including thumbs up/down
- skip ahead/back on songs
- standard android voice stuff

can't recall everything else, but its a heckuva lot more than what anyone & everyone has posted in this thread. 

I actually didn't mention the call stuff because it's pretty standard bluetooth stuff; I've had that for a long time, even using Parrot devices back in about 2005.  I did suspect some better  Pandora integration though - I know on older bluetooth systems, you could skip forward/back and all that, but no song titles or album art came over.  I really don't know what all the protocol supports.

I will say though - the iphone obviously does bluetooth and direct-connect - and plenty of times I've been playing on bluetooth and plugged it in - it automatically switches from bluetooth to ipod mode - and the difference in sound quality is extremely dramatic.

I'm not trying to knock Android one bit either - if we were to take the hardware out of the mix and compare software I'm sure Android would win hands down (but which version? Each phone is a derivative of Android, not pure android)... but it's kind of a package deal - and the reality is it's the absolute stability of the iphone that 1) many people hate; 2) makes it the ideal platform to develop for to maximize market, compatibility, stability, etc).  Similarly I'm sure the hardware would knock the iPhone out too - but again, there's not much integration with it for physical hardware. 

Interesting. I'll have to A/B bluetooth vs direct connect (via headphone jack), I don't think I've noticed a difference. Then again, both my cars are 12 years old, one is a Pathfinder so its a truck chassis and not that comfortable a ride, so there's no critical listening happening.

I have no idea what the sampling rate it when using BT, but there definitely is a quality difference between BT and a wired connection.

Work2Play, can you explain what you meant when you said,

it's the absolute stability of the iphone that 1) many people hate

yeah the people who trash Apple/iOS always use the argument that it's too locked down, the __insert brand__ is newer, faster, larger screen, has NFC, whatever difference it comes with - makes it superior... there's a new android device every few months with some flashy new wizbang feature (and customized software to support it) - whereas the iPhone is very rigid, releases once a year and tends to keep the same form factor for 2 years with that stupid "S" designation they add, the software is very solid and stable so it's very easy to code for all the currently supported devices, and older devices just fall off the support map - it's way easier to design for, but lacks flexibility.

I'm happy with the tradeoff - I used to manage very large cell contracts with the big 3, so any cool phone that came out on any of them they'd literally just give to me if I asked - I messed with a lot of phones and got new ones every 2-3 months... and I got sick of it.  I got the iPhone and it's just "worked" since and thanks to the accessory market, it's integrated itself very well into our lives -- from the ipod cables in both cars, airplay into our stereos, night-stand dock, etc - it just fits - and even though there are much cheaper android alternatives, I just gave my young daughter an iPad Mini - because it just works - she can FaceTime the whole family (which she does), she automatically gets all the music we buy, she can toss whatever she's listening to on the livingroom stereo, etc...

Next will be adding an AppleTV to the car so we can toss videos up on the overhead display - but so far we haven't let them use the TV in the car (didn't actually want it; want the kids to look out the window!) - but down the road that could be a fun accessory.

I also think there's a geographical difference too - and that may be partially because AT&T wasn't as strong on the east coast? I dont know - just speculating... but 8 out of 10 people I see have iPhones, not android - literally at a party, in a meeting, etc - it's all iPhones... and it's now everyone in our local family - so anyone can toss music on each others' stereos, facetime chat, group-chat, etc.

BT: In my car (2010 Chevy), BT audio gives better quality sound than a wired connection with my Android devices (I think it's more of a level issue than actual quality).

I'm not an iGuy, but, I do know that there was a fairly recent update where an iOS device will briefly drop and reconnect the wifi connection every 60 seconds (exactly). This causes problems in some applications.

TonyNo said:
BT: In my car (2010 Chevy), BT audio gives better quality sound than a wired connection with my Android devices (I think it's more of a level issue than actual quality).

I'm not an iGuy, but, I do know that there was a fairly recent update where an iOS device will briefly drop and reconnect the wifi connection every 60 seconds (exactly). This causes problems in some applications.

Oh good, cuz I just did an A/B test in my pathfinder and I couldn't tell the difference. As mentioned above, its an older car, so its not nearly as quiet as some of the newer model cars. Then again with 2 kids in a confined space, not even the new cars are quiet :)

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to assume.

I too don't care to start any sort of OS flame war, and that is not my point at all. Having said that, I transitioned from a Motorola Razr to a Blackberry (my first 'Smart' phone) years ago. I followed that with a Motorola Droid 2, and now the iPhone. I had the Blackberry and Droid 2, respectively for about 2.5 yrs. There was a long period of time where I was anti-Apple for all these various reasons... no expandable memory, can't change the battery, have to use iTunes, etc.I said that to say that I don't think I've ever been happier with any previous phone than I am now with my iPhone.

To quote a few things:

the software is very solid and stable

I got the iPhone and it's just "worked"

I couldn't agree more with these two statements. This is precisely why I like the iPhone better than my Droid. I only download apps from reputable companies (Delta, Pandora, Facebook, UPS, etc), thus trying to limit myself from the poorly developed Apps that may be full of memory leaks and other 'bad things'. However, even with my Droid, apps would crash on a weekly basis and I would have to power cycle it every 2-3 weeks. On the other hand, I rarely have any issues with my iPhone. I think this is majorly in-part to the 1) stable environment and 2) the application approval process. I don't care to root my phone, or apply 10,000 variations to customize it... I just want it to work. I want to text, email, make calls, utilize applications, and browse the internet.

I was actually talking to someone about this the other day and specifically told them that as long as there are no ridiculous limitations/changes I see myself using an iPhone for some time into the future.

IVB said:
Oh good, cuz I just did an A/B test in my pathfinder and I couldn't tell the difference. As mentioned above, its an older car, so its not nearly as quiet as some of the newer model cars. Then again with 2 kids in a confined space, not even the new cars are quiet :)

It could very well be due to the OEM speakers. They literally may not be capable of reproducing the audible differences.

I've been without my daily driver for a few weeks now (@ body shop getting some custom work done). Nonetheless, I have a Pioneer GPS headunit which has BT as well. Additionally, I have aftermarket speakers and an amplifier for those speakers. There is/was an audible difference between BT and wired AUX with both my Droid 2 and my iPhone. That said, BT was still MUCH higher quality than any FM signal I could get.

Are you insinuating that 12 year old OEM speakers on a truck-based vehicle aren't good?

Back