Anyone recommend a good tablet for wall mounting?

Yeah, I also just saw somewhere that they knocked $20 off of each of them. Might be a bad sign but I haven't seen many bad things said about them yet.

sic0048 said:
On a related note, I think this whole idea that Apple is better because Android is so fractured argument is total BS too - especially in this situation.  This type of usage is very specific.  If the OS version of the tablet you choose works with the software that you need for your automation system and you can find a suitable mount, then there is no problem.  

In addition, we have reached the tipping point where the Android app market is actually bigger than the Apple market, the Android system is used by more people than the Apple system, and Apple's market share has been decreasing for an extended period of time now.  
Without trying to start an OS war, the fact is, apple's stable platform is the reason there are so many accessories for iDevices - they're stable, popular, and consistent.  The fact remains that there are so many options for iPads for a reason - there's not a single Android device that's anywhere near as popular as an iPad so trying to make a line of accessories just doesn't happen.

Of course there are more powerful and cheaper options out there - but none have the accessory base that iPads have.

Ever seen a car with an Android plug?  I haven't - but they all plug into iPhones nowadays.  For Android you're restricted to Bluetooth typically which doesn't have the same sound quality or tight integration.

As for the rest of that - the quantity of apps isn't important - the quality is... and the sales numbers can be misleading - depending on the reports you look at, some say Android is finally catching up, but most show Apple's devices as the ones used the most (Android does have higher sales numbers though).

For what it's worth though, I wish someone would come out with some android accessories - standardize on the kindle fire HD or something like that - I'd love a $200 tablet I can mount in the wall, and I'd be perfectly happy with it being Android!

roussell said:
I'm about as Apple as you can get...but I'm going with Nexus 7s for touch screens. More power, cheaper, and Android's 'hackability' allows me to build a true kiosk-style, single purpose device. I'm working on an aluminum mount now that hopefully I can show off soon...

i'm really interested to see what you come up with.  I've been toying with various designs for a frame/mount for my gen 1 nexus7's for a while.  Currently the best I've come up with is a thing hard back case screwed to the wall over a single gang box.  The nexus 7 snaps into the frame and is hardwired for power (soldered to the pogo pin connection).  It basically looks like a tablet stuck to the wall (which is what it is), so I'm looking for a more "integrated" looking solution (like a frame).

The new nexus 7 has Qi so that really expands your options for a nice appearance without wires and removable from the wall.

Work2Play said:
Without trying to start an OS war, the fact is, apple's stable platform is the reason there are so many accessories for iDevices - they're stable, popular, and consistent.  The fact remains that there are so many options for iPads for a reason - there's not a single Android device that's anywhere near as popular as an iPad so trying to make a line of accessories just doesn't happen.

Of course there are more powerful and cheaper options out there - but none have the accessory base that iPads have.

Ever seen a car with an Android plug?  I haven't - but they all plug into iPhones nowadays.  For Android you're restricted to Bluetooth typically which doesn't have the same sound quality or tight integration.

As for the rest of that - the quantity of apps isn't important - the quality is... and the sales numbers can be misleading - depending on the reports you look at, some say Android is finally catching up, but most show Apple's devices as the ones used the most (Android does have higher sales numbers though).

For what it's worth though, I wish someone would come out with some android accessories - standardize on the kindle fire HD or something like that - I'd love a $200 tablet I can mount in the wall, and I'd be perfectly happy with it being Android!
Android plug?? It's called USB.

While I agree with Work to an extent....the biggest item for aftermarket mounts etc, is Apple hasn't changed the footprint of their devices, an Ipad, Pod, Phone (barring the 5 and mini) has been the same footprint and connector location since day 1.

Any USB device integrates with the car stereos that have the same....the only item that generally doesn't is the "integrated" control or jog/shuttle wheel on non-I devices, but still some stereos will pull the information and provide control via the USB.

USB :D

Frunple said:
Android plug?? It's called USB.

What's on the other end of that USB connector (I've seen Android devices with various connections; mini USB, micro USB). More importantly - where is it located on each Android device?

As DEL pointed out, because of Apple's solitary footprint and connector it's much more intriguing for a 3rd party company to manufacture accessories for Apple devices.

Likewise, just because there are more Android OS devices doesn't mean there are more of a singular device (e.g. Kindle) than there are iPads. So when you look at specific device models across the board, which has the most sold? I'd guess that the iPad is the most sold tablet. Further, when the overall design of said device really doesn't change for years, it's much easier to profit from accessories over a longer period of time. How long are Android devices out before they are replaced with a new model that is of different form factor, with the connector in a different location (no standards)?

drvnbysound said:
What's on the other end of that USB connector (I've seen Android devices with various connections; mini USB, micro USB). More importantly - where is it located on each Android device?

As DEL pointed out, because of Apple's solitary footprint and connector it's much more intriguing for a 3rd party company to manufacture accessories for Apple devices.

Likewise, just because there are more Android OS devices doesn't mean there are more of a singular device (e.g. Kindle) than there are iPads. So when you look at specific device models across the board, which has the most sold? I'd guess that the iPad is the most sold tablet. Further, when the overall design of said device really doesn't change for years, it's much easier to profit from accessories over a longer period of time. How long are Android devices out before they are replaced with a new model that is of different form factor, with the connector in a different location (no standards)?
It's USB. Mini- 'USB', micro- 'USB'.
It doesn't matter what's on the other end. The point that was being made was cars don't have Android plugs. That's because Androids use USB. The other end, as you put it, plugs into the Android, not the car.
Idevices have a proprietary plug, that's why cars, and anything else, can have i-plugs built in. Which is why you'll never see the amount of accessories for Androids. 
The only alternative is POGO plugs.

I've had issues with the variety of mini USB micro plugs on Android devices (large and small).  I have yet to see any uniformity.  Mostly though the insides are using common based CPU motherboards which are really mostly all the same or in huge numbers.

Above someone mentioned the Sibo (sales person).  These guys almost have a monopoly in China on Android touchscreens for just about any industry.

I have taken my Sibo inwall touchscreen apart.  It is very modular but there is no documentation on it.  They are using the Via series of motherboards.  The back though has a multipin module connector on it with a mini board that has multiple interfaces; IE: wireless, zigbee, power, POE NIC, et al which does make a good in wall permanent mounting tablet.  The have now also gone to the quad CPU stuff with standard capacitance screens (over resistive).  I do not like the front display design much with the speaker placements et al; but it is functional (a bit cryptic maybe cuz of lack of documentation). 

Relating to the carpc / HU display; I have regressed a bit with a simple radio / using the radio knobs type display in a deliberate regression of not wanting to watch the display while I am driving. 

I have since sort of bricked my Sibo in wall touchscreen a few times and replaced the OS tweaking it a bit.  Communications / support from SIBO was less than stellar as all I wanted was the original OS such that I could play with it or fall back to it and never did get it.

One other issue I had with them was that Sibo only wanted to deal with direct bank transfers of monies versus say using Amex or Paypal for funding or purchase of their hardware.  I bugged a salesperson about that and was told that was coming from their director or boss and I basically just said the methodologies were globally stifling their business and much antiquated in today's rapidly accelerated automation world.

DELInstallations said:
While I agree with Work to an extent....the biggest item for aftermarket mounts etc, is Apple hasn't changed the footprint of their devices, an Ipad, Pod, Phone (barring the 5 and mini) has been the same footprint and connector location since day 1.

Actually Apple has changed their connector.  Now they have the "Lightening" connector which has forced everyone to buy different accessories for their newer iStuff.  Obviously having two different connectors is still better than Android's situation.  While the micro USB plug has pretty much become the defacto standard for Android devices, there is no standard on the placement of that connector and therefore accessories are usually specific to each device.

And that micro USB on Android devices doesn't provide the same level of integration or control.

In our cars we have album art and song titles of whatever is playing from the iphones - including pandora or other music... in my wife's you can actually use the voice recognition to open pandora, choose a station, and even thumbs up/down songs...  It's definitely a tight level of integration that goes beyond what's generally offered over the standard USB connector.

Work2Play said:
And that micro USB on Android devices doesn't provide the same level of integration or control.

In our cars we have album art and song titles of whatever is playing from the iphones - including pandora or other music... in my wife's you can actually use the voice recognition to open pandora, choose a station, and even thumbs up/down songs...  It's definitely a tight level of integration that goes beyond what's generally offered over the standard USB connector.

It is definitely possible to achieve as much or more integration with android over usb or bluetooth but the car makers are not doing it on their side.

Frunple said:
It's USB. Mini- 'USB', micro- 'USB'.
It doesn't matter what's on the other end. The point that was being made was cars don't have Android plugs. That's because Androids use USB. The other end, as you put it, plugs into the Android, not the car.
Idevices have a proprietary plug, that's why cars, and anything else, can have i-plugs built in. Which is why you'll never see the amount of accessories for Androids. 
The only alternative is POGO plugs.

In that case, iDevices are USB too ;)

az1324 said:
It is definitely possible to achieve as much or more integration with android over usb or bluetooth but the car makers are not doing it on their side.

Why should they? The last I checked the Android is an open platform, which would allow the protocols to change at any time. Additionally, various manufacturers/carriers (a la HTC Sense) are allowed to roll their own variation. They could invest plenty of effort into integration today, only to have it change next month. Then have how many customers complain that their phone doesn't work as advertised?

The same can be said about the security of Android... There has been PLENTY of discussion about who is responsible for security updates to be pushed to Android devices. Is it up to Google, the phone manufacturer, or your cell provider? In Apple's case, they take care of it on their own.

drvnbysound said:
In that case, iDevices are USB too ;)
LOL,
Wow... The point is both ends on an Android cable are USB. iDevices have a proprietary connector on one end.
So no, not in that case iDevices are USB too.  ;)

Back