Anyone recommend a good tablet for wall mounting?

drvnbysound said:
Yes, both ends of an Android cable are 'some' type of USB connector. But that's exactly the problem... it's not a standard type. I think most all Androids are currently using micro USB, but without a common form factor and connector location 3rd party manufacturers have to invest a lot of money to design and produce a docking station or case for a single device... and how long is that device going to be relevant before the form factor changes?

BTW: Proprietary items are generally only made by the prime manufacturer... that's what makes it proprietary. The 30-pin and the new 8-pin connectors aren't proprietary - there are plenty of manufacturers that offer their own products that use both of these connectors... including Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=112&cp_id=11213&cs_id=1120107&p_id=9928&seq=1&format=2

"One analyst speculated that Lightning could, just like the 30-pin connector, be used as the standard Apple charger and data connector for a decade."

The USB's are universal, off the shelf items. A standard end on one side and the only variable is the one at the phone, which is usually a micro USB. The earliest ones were mini USB (think BB's) and the droids became micros....very common and universal cords and devices, but as alluded, the form factor and location is the variable.

Without bashing or starting the flaming, those 30 pin units are used by other manufacturers, but the real issue is the pinout from the IOS to other manufacturers vary significantly...IE: Sandisk uses the 30 pin but the power is on a different pair than the IOS units.

IMHO, I could care less about a plug in dock for the phone as long as there was enough of a whip to reach anywhere I could have the USB on the hardware....which is what a bunch of the items I've integrated use.

Wow, this thread has gotten way off track since I last visited. With respect to the OP can we steer it back to the topic of tablets for wall mounting?

I cut the aluminum wall plate for my Nexus 7 this weekend. I still need to do some cleanup and get it mounted. I have been taking pictures alone the way so I'll get those assembled into some kind of presentable fashion soon...

Agreed re: thread being off track.

I'm interested to see the aluminum plate you fabricated.

After a lot of hemming and hawing, I decided to just screw my Nexus 7's straight to single gang boxes mounted in the walls (previously used for my Niles keypads).  I removed the backplate of the Nexus 7, soldered power wires to the appropriate pads for the pogo connectors, drilled a hole in the backplate of the Nexus 7 for the power wires and two holes aligned with the mounting screws of the single gang wall box.  Then I wired the Nexus 7 to power, screwed the backplate to the single gang box and popped the tablet back onto the backplate.  It's working great so far for the two that I've mounted.  I'm powering them using some cheap usb over ethernet adapters that I picked up from Monoprice.  I've set the tablets to enter daydream mode when they're charging (which is always) after 2 minutes.  This allows me to "wake" any tablet by just touching it.  Yes, the screens are on all the time and will wear out faster, but I don't care.

I just ordered http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4JTH8W/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]this wall mount[/url] for one of my Nexus 7. Its only used a few times per week, so I figured I may as well wall mount it for when its not in use.

I don't think it'll work with those proprietary iPoopooHead devices though :)

61ZbE%2BiVlRL._SL1500_.jpg

Reviving an old thread...

Thinking about Android tablets for WHA/HA control.  There are wireless/battery 7" Android tablets for <$100 retail.  Are the any $100 wired/POE Android tablets out there??  I see the SIBO devices at $250-$350..  I'm thinking there's a market for lower cost devices.

Any thoughts or pointers?

I don't waste time with android based tablets which are obsolete on release day and never get any software updates. I repurposed a 2011 iPad 2, which is running the latest iOS 9, into a wall mounted HA touch screen.

http://youtu.be/26vTRyHy048

elvisimprsntr said:
I don't waste time with android based tablets which are obsolete on release day and never get any software updates. I repurposed a 2011 iPad 2, which is running the latest iOS 9, into a wall mounted HA touch screen. 

I think its really funny that this comment was posted the same day that Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) started rolling out to Nexus 7 (2013). That were available *NEW* for $249 at the time, less than half the price of iPads. (you can get one now for $90). I have 2 of them, although mine are always 3-4 days after the first OTA rollout. Ack the pain, I'll have to wait almost a week! THE AGONY!

Nexus is the exception rather than the rule. The previous posts were looking at off brand tablets out of China which in addition to being of lesser quality in the sub 100 range I doubt with receive updates as frequently it for as long as iPads or Nexus devices.

elvisimprsntr said:
Nexus is the exception rather than the rule. The previous posts were looking at off brand tablets out of China which in addition to being of lesser quality in the sub 100 range I doubt with receive updates as frequently it for as long as iPads or Nexus devices.
You can't compare a $100 tablet to a $500+$800 one and expect the same outcome.

Has anybody ever came out with dead battery replacements for these bricks that develop after a few years?

I already know of a few iPads that are in the junk drawers.

Personally here playing with a PipoX7.  It is connected right now to a 15" openframe multitouch monitor.  The monitor can be flush mounted on a wall with a small opening for connectivity .  You can velcro the PipoX7 to the back section.   You don't have to touch it now using the Kinect / Alexa stuff.  You can ask or tell it to do stuff or just use the touch interface.

Here is a picture of the openframe touchscreen / kinect stuff.  (it would be nice if the Kinect could be made smaller).  Side picture is a multiOS booting touchscreen tablet (Android, Windows and OSx).

PipoX7-Mulltitouch-Kinect-Alexa-2.jpg

It works as the Amazon Echo TTS/VR (using Echo Application) and is using Microsoft TTS/VR/hand waving with the Kinect.

It includes a tablet OS.  That said it also has blue tooth, wireless, USB ports (used for touchscreen), triple booting OS.

I have another Intel CPU based tablet today that boots to Wintel, iOS, Android and Linux.  My preferences today for the touchscreen are Linux or Wintel.  I prefer using the Windows version of Homeseer Touch.  Initially did play with CE, then migrated over to XP touchscreens and now XPe and W7e.  W10 on the PiPoX7 runs on a 32Gb MMC just fine.

For $120 you can purchase the PiPoX8 which is the same as the PiPoX7 except that it includes a small touchscreen capacitance screen.  It is low powered where you could probably do a POE connection to it.

The BIOS does have all of the battery stuff; but why bother when you can do POE.

pipoX8-1.jpgpipox8-2.jpg

LarrylLix said:
Has anybody ever came out with dead battery replacements for these bricks that develop after a few years?

I already know of a few iPads that are in the junk drawers.
You can buy replacement batteries at Amazon, you can also get a replacement iPad at a reduced price through Apple.
https://www.apple.com/support/ipad/repair/battery-power/
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=replacement+ipad+battery&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Areplacement+ipad+battery

IVB said:

I think its really funny that this comment was posted the same day that Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) started rolling out to Nexus 7 (2013). That were available *NEW* for $249 at the time, less than half the price of iPads. (you can get one now for $90). I have 2 of them, although mine are always 3-4 days after the first OTA rollout. Ack the pain, I'll have to wait almost a week! THE AGONY!
I think it is funny to compare the price of a 7" tablet to a 9.7" tablet, the iPad mini was much closer in price and still had a larger screen.
Many apps work better on iPads than on Android tablets although I think they have improved. I have Android tablets from 8" to 21" HP Slate and also have iPads. The biggest problem I have with iPads is the insane prices for memory over the base models.

Back