Are there fast responding wireless PIRs out there?

johnnynine

I have 2 rules set up. One toggles a relay when the motion sensor becomes unsecure. The other rule turns on an insteon lamp module if the lamp is not already on and the motion sensor becomes unsecure.

I have observed that it takes approximately a half second for the relay and lamp to respond to a manual short of the zone that the motion sensor is on. Believe it or not the insteon controlled light actually illuminates a fraction of a second prior to the relay. (Perhaps this is because I have 2 seperate rules set up and the relay is on an external relay board.)

I am currently testing a wired Sentrol PI6000 with it's pulse mode set to 2 (as opposed to 3) on an Elk M1. Unfortunatley it is not working properly at the moment but in prior observations it seems as though the motion sensor's response time is longer than a half second (this will need more testing for verification).

In the end I will be using a caddx wireless zone board and would like the motion detector to turn on lights when I enter a hallway as quickly as possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a quick responding wireless PIR?

I would assume I would want a PIR with support for a pulse mode of 1?

Being tied to a Caddx wireless receiver you're not going to have a lot of choices of PIR's.

That said, I have used Caddx wireless PIR's in the past and they were very quick to respond to the initial motion. They do not respond well to multiple motions in a short time span if you need that. To conserve the battery they only issue pulse every few minutes (IIRC).

Caddx wireless was always reliable with good range in my previous installation. I use their wireless 4-button fobs now with my M1G.

Also, will the NX416E wireless receiver work inside a metal can (I assume not) or do I need the Caddx Wireless Receiver Enclosure to make it look nice on the wall?

The Elk cabinet comes with holes for the antenna (to stick out of the cabinet). If you use a different cabinet you will need to drill a couple holes....there are two antenna on a Caddx wireless board and installation requires 4 holes for the antenna and ground connections and separate mounting holes.

If you're flush mounting your cabinet(s) you might run a pvc nipple up to a junction box and surface mount a small box to house the Caddx PCB. The antenna MAY work buried in the wall if you don't have too much metal near it.

johnnynine said:
Also, will the NX416E wireless receiver work inside a metal can (I assume not) or do I need the Caddx Wireless Receiver Enclosure to make it look nice on the wall?
It works in the metal can as long as you let the two antennas out. However,Spanky says that in their experience (Elk's) they get better range keeping the board out of the can.

Adjust the loop response time to 20 to 50 milliseconds on the Fast loop response and assign the the Fast Loop response to the zone with the motion detector. It is probably 400 milliseconds on the slow loop response time.

You will get better range on the Caddx Receiver if you mount the receiver board outside of the metal can.

Spanky said:
Adjust the loop response time to 20 to 50 milliseconds on the Fast loop response and assign the the Fast Loop response to the zone with the motion detector. It is probably 400 milliseconds on the slow loop response time.
I see from the manual:

Sets the time that a “Fast Loop†zone must remain open before the control responds. To set, press the RIGHT arrow key and enter a number from 002 to 255. Time is adjusted in 10 millisecond increments from 20ms to 2550ms (2.55 seconds). Default is 40ms.
What exactly does it mean by "zone must remain open"? Does that mean "unsecure/violated"?

Thanks guys. Yes it was on the slow response at 400ms. Fast response appears to default at 40ms which is what I left it at.

I'll have to test this out tomorrow. The whole elk setup is in my office at work.

Back