Automated Drapes

Tymon

So we are about ready to install drapes in our house.
I know throughout the years this has been brought up many times but is still seems there are the same old options out there.

BTX
Somfy
Add-A-Motor

I cant believe noone has come out with anything new.

First question is, have they? Am I missing something?

The wife wants a rod with rings that the curtains hang below.
So I went out and found some traverse rods that look exactly like that.
Except they have the string you have to pull to open and close them. (small compremise, hopefully)

So I am considering the Add-A-Motor 80. This is the one that is designed for use with a cord.

Does anyone have any experience with these? They work well? Just how loud are they?

Thanks for any feed back!
Ty

So we are about ready to install drapes in our house.
I know throughout the years this has been brought up many times but is still seems there are the same old options out there.

BTX
Somfy
Add-A-Motor

I cant believe noone has come out with anything new.

First question is, have they? Am I missing something?

The wife wants a rod with rings that the curtains hang below.
So I went out and found some traverse rods that look exactly like that.
Except they have the string you have to pull to open and close them. (small compremise, hopefully)

So I am considering the Add-A-Motor 80. This is the one that is designed for use with a cord.

Does anyone have any experience with these? They work well? Just how loud are they?

Thanks for any feed back!
Ty
While I don't have the Add-a-motor unit, I do have the Somfy DR1000 cord draw drapery motor that Smarthome sells. The Somfy piece is heavy duty and probably will be long lived. It has replaceable rubber pulleys too. Having said this, there are a few drawbacks (pun?). It is hardly quiet, and the mechanism that senses end of travel is crummy. On my 13ft traverse rod in the MBR, the Somfy really torques the cord pully before it senses that the drape is open or closed. There is a setting for this, but I have yet to see any effect of using it. The damn motor nearly pulled the rod off the wall and I had to do a better job locating the bracket screws in the studs. At some point, I might use some magnetic switches and let my Elk M1 control the Somfy motor bypassing its internal travel sensor. There are greater priorities at the moment. It is pretty nice pushing a single button and having an enormous curtain open or close.

I'm curious to know if the Add-a-motor unit is any better functionally, but I doubt it is any better than the Somfy in terms of build quality or durability.

I have the Add-a-Motor. I'd consider it decent, but not great. What you do is you set two mechanical stops on the face of the unit that flip a toggle switch. When power is applied the motor runs until it hits the stop, toggling the switch. Next time power is applied it will reverse (if it has reached end of travel). It's about as loud as an automated litter box. After 3 months it wasn't fully opening/closing and I had to adjust the stops. I'm guessing the cord was slightly slipping. Automation options are minimal. It has a 12v brick you plug into an appliance module.

For what I use it for it works, would I ever install it for a customer, no a chance.

Back