basic setup required

v1rtu0s1ty

hey guys, I'm new to this forum and a real baby on diy home security. I really don't know how it is connected and what basic things I need. IVB has actually helped me with things that can be purchased.

Anyways, I would like to request a simple diagram of how a DIY home security is connected. I learned somewhere today that a keypad is needed too. Can you please include the keypad, sensors, wiring on the drawing too. ;)

This will totally help me a lot. Oh btw, I'm leaning towards the Elk products as recommended by IVB. Honestly, I haven't seen their products yet though. :)

unfortunately I did mine before I found cocoontech . . . you get the How To

and welcome to Cocoontech.com . . .

Pete C

I love my country, but fear my government.

Do you know HOWTO for the Elk product? And also, what are my solutions to the wiring because my builder is not allowing me to install wire before they put the drywall? They told me that I can do anything once I move in to it.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
...my builder is not allowing me to install wire before they put the drywall? They told me that I can do anything once I move in to it.
That is ridiculous. Can you get another builder? If this was a custom job I would tell him to hit the bricks. At least he should give you the option of have them put in the security wiring (my builder would not allow me to run any wiring, but they did give me the option of them running the security wiring and some additional Cat5e and RG-59 coax. No, I didn't like the fact that this work cost me more money, but to me at least it was worth the extra cost not to have to run that wiring after drywall was up).

The wiring difficulty would increase ten fold if you were to do it after drywall is up. That plus the fact that you would most certainly cause some sort of damage (to existing wiring/sheetrock/etc...) in doing so. There are wireless solutions, but wired is better.

Well, i'm sure I got a ton of stuff wrong, but the basic theory I think is sound. Here's an example sensor layout according to how i'm doing it. [not my house, don't worry].

Also, on the how-to, I just got 2 training CDs from Elk in the mail today. I'm going to setup myhomeautomationpc.com as a holder for any salient content from end-users as to how they've setup their systems, and will be hosting the training content there.

house%20wiring.jpg

house%20wiring2.JPG

wiring for the sensors / contacts is pretty much the same for all systems . . . 2 conductor for the doors/windows and 4 conductor for the motion/glassbreaks, you do need to confirm the EOL (end of line) resistor requirements for the panel you choose . . .

if your builder won't let you, I'd contact one of the alarm companies that service your area . . . many times they will install very cheaply if you sign up for a monitoring contract . . . and your builder would be working with another 'professional sub contractor' so he should have nothing to say . . .

Pete C

Nice jop IVB,

You might want to consider an interior siren (maybe I missed it) especially for fire evac. Also you might want to add another thermal in the garage since it is adjacent to the bedroom #2.

For walk in closets with doors if you put a door contact in for automating the lighting in the future it might be a nice touch.

Just thoughts.

yeah, i realized i forgot several things. A siren, temp sensors [i use 3 inside, 1 outside], i'm sure i'll think of other stuff.

BTW - I was planning on running one keypad direct to Elk, another via the Data Bus Hub.

Are there any issues with doing that? I'd prefer to not run a keypad that's sitting 6" away from the Elk 30' away to the Data Bus hub.

IVB

I did something similar. I ran one keypad to the ELK directly and teh other two through a retrofit hub. No problems.

I have had time on my hands the past couple of days and I am experimenting with my ELK. I have to say I still dont realize all of the neat things I an make this system do and I have had it about a year.

The WAF has been increasing more and more lately.

I'm not so sure you want to do that (run some data bus direct and others through the hub). I thought the hub was supposed to handle the traffic from the peripherals when in use. I'm wondering if Spanky can chime in and see if you are setting yourself up for timing problems.

Just a precaution, let's see what the Elk "Guru" says.

v1rtu0s1ty,
Your user profile does not say where you live.
In Texas, a builder cant tell you that you cant do something.
I was building a house with a nationwide builder and they told me I cant do anything myself. I checked with my Dad who has been in real estate for 30 years and he explained that is against the law in TX.
I went back to my builder and they caved in hard and fast.

Dont trust the builder. Check your local laws.

You may be responsible for additional city inspection fees.
However, in Austin, there is NO inspection at all for low voltage wiring.

Hope this might help.

Ty

I was told the same thing when my house was being finished. I wasn't allowed to do anything because it wouldn't pass inspection (later I found out the builder was best buddies with the inspector).

That is ridiculous.  Can you get another builder?  If this was a custom job I would tell him to hit the bricks.  At least he should give you the option of have them put in the security wiring (my builder would not allow me to run any wiring, but they did give me the option of them running the security wiring and some additional Cat5e and RG-59 coax.

I should have been more clear. I'm so sorry. What I mean was, the builder didn't allow me to do the wiring myself. I have other information that you guys might think might be helpful to me. The builder gave me two pieces of 2" pvc pipes from attic to the basement. And also, I requested a coax and cat5e runs to family room, den, loft and master bedroom and everything goes to the basement.

And my latest story is this. I spoke to the coordinator yesterday and he told me that I can install myself the speaker wires. However, I want to mimic something that is similar to model houses. You can hear the same music to wherever you go but of course, there should be a way to only let the music sound in specific rooms.

So guys, what should I do?

I'm gonna continue reading up on the other post above. B)

Thanks guys!

IVB said:
Well, i'm sure I got a ton of stuff wrong, but the basic theory I think is sound. Here's an example sensor layout according to how i'm doing it. [not my house, don't worry].

Also, on the how-to, I just got 2 training CDs from Elk in the mail today. I'm going to setup myhomeautomationpc.com as a holder for any salient content from end-users as to how they've setup their systems, and will be hosting the training content there.

house%20wiring.jpg

house%20wiring2.JPG
Hi IVB,

The drawing helps me a lot. What is the type of wire from the Elk 28" cabinet to the mediacloset? What about the type of wire from the Elk 28" to the keypad? Is the Elk 28" cabinet connected to a 110v outlet? Also, the wires that you installed, are they inside a pvc pipe?

More detailed drawings please. B)

Thanks,

Neil

Back