Best Low Cost User Interface

upstatemike

As much as I would like to play with some touch screens in my system I have to acknowledge that it is outside my budget to place them all through the house as the primary user interface. I need to have something where I can deploy a dozen or more units throughout the house so $1,000+ touch screens are not going to do it for me.

I currently use the sub $300 LCD keypad with my stargate and am looking for something along these lines for use with Homeseer, Elk, etc. The nice thing about the LCD keypad is that it is like a programmable remote control for you Home Theater... you just have a bunch of buttons and a bunch of LCD labels and you can program it to control anything (using up to 96 pages of menus). But similiar to a touch screen, it can also display information and provide feedback to actions.

Cheap interfaces like this are perfect for controlling heating from remote locations, arming/disarming the security system, viewing daily reminders, controlling the playback of voicemail messages, and of course controlling all the lights in the house. Because they are cheap, I can put one down in the basement or in a guest bedroom and not feel bad that they are only rarely used since it is extemely handy to have them there when you do need them.

I was hoping that ELK security keypads might become the new workhorse in this area since they already have the buttons and display and the price point is right. Unfortunately the firmware is geared to the idea of using them near exits to manage the alarm system with other functions being very limited (can't adjust themostat set points, etc.)

You can go very low end and use X-10 or Insteon keypads as remote interfaces but all you get is a status light for feedback, no text. I also thought the RAD-I/O from TouchTronix might do the job, but it looks like it would take a lot of development to get these going. (Unless HSTouch is going to provide out of the box support or something).

So I am looking for input on what the best option would be for a low cost interface that could be installed in a dozen or more locations without breaking the bank but still provide the kind of flexible control and feedback that I currently get from the Stargate LCD keypad (Just not tied to that platform).

I also thought the RAD-I/O from TouchTronix might do the job, but it looks like it would take a lot of development to get these going. (Unless HSTouch is going to provide out of the box support or something).
Hmmm, this is an interesting concept USM. This would be a great solution if the RAD-I/O was an "out of the box" solution to be used with HSTouch. I also though CQC had some native support for this product.

Maybe Dwayne can do some investigations on these thoughts as the RAD I/O is a more economical solution for multiple room touch screen deployments. Maybe even dedicate a machine with a RAD I/O service running (and it's interface card) and acquire needed information via TCP/IP network communications with the HomeSeer server?!?!

Anything wrong with a 3400 or 3500 fujitsu touch screen? You can pick them up for $150/$250 and run the HS speaker app. on them. Here's a quote from another 3500 owner.

To anyone considering: I have six of these that I run MainLobby on and they work quite well. The delay I see is very similar to what I've seen on a friend's Crestron touch-screen tablets used for identical purposes (though at a different price-point).

Anything wrong with a 3400 or 3500 fujitsu touch screen? You can pick them up for $150/$250 and run the HS speaker app. on them. Here's a quote from another 3500 owner.

To anyone considering: I have six of these that I run MainLobby on and they work quite well. The delay I see is very similar to what I've seen on a friend's Crestron touch-screen tablets used for identical purposes (though at a different price-point).

I have not ruled this out but the price seems deceptive. Don't you need a "long links" device for each screen to carry video, serial, and speaker/microphone? Plus a dedicated PC per screen? Maybe you can give us some more details on setup of the person running six screens?

upstatemike, the 3400 / 3500 can run MainLobby client natively so the cost is in the MainLobby software and the touchscreen tablets and the PC networking (wifi or ethernet). These touchscreens are full PCs. I think you are talking about a dumb touchcreen (no embedded PC) in which case you need to carry video and mouse from remote PC to the touchscreen.

You don't need a dedicated PC per screen with the dumb screen either. Just a mulithead graphics card for one PC to drive several touchmonitors.

UTMA from touchtronix is another choice. Supports up to 10 screens per one strong PC (which are cheap nowadays).

upstatemike, the 3400 / 3500 can run MainLobby client natively so the cost is in the MainLobby software and the touchscreen tablets and the PC networking (wifi or ethernet). These touchscreens are full PCs. I think you are talking about a dumb touchcreen (no embedded PC) in which case you need to carry video and mouse from remote PC to the touchscreen.

You don't need a dedicated PC per screen with the dumb screen either. Just a mulithead graphics card for one PC to drive several touchmonitors.

UTMA from touchtronix is another choice. Supports up to 10 screens per one strong PC (which are cheap nowadays).

Correct, I was thinking these were just dumb screens... $250 + MainLobby is definitely a viable alternative to the stargate keypads. Time to browse ebay and see what is out there!

Back