Best POE hub for Elk TS07?

upstatemike

Just wondering what brand of Power Over Ethernet hubs most folks are using with their TS07 touch screens? Is one brand better/cheaper than another? Where would I get the best pricing on something like this?

I haven't hooked mine up yet but I went with ELK's recommendation of the D-Link DWL-P200. Check out Buy.com's special Google checkout for discount pricing.

I am using the PoE 'hack', where I just send 12V from the powersupply over 2 pairs in the same cat5e run for the network connection. Works great.

electron said:
I am using the PoE 'hack', where I just send 12V from the powersupply over 2 pairs in the same cat5e run for the network connection. Works great.
Are you feeding power into the TS07 via the RJ45 or are you breaking out the pairs at the touch screen end and connecting them through the power connector?

Since PoE is a much higher voltage, I have to break out (I had an extra set of plugs) and use the regular power plug. No big deal tho.

On the TS07 Touchscreen in my house, I did the same as Electron. I used an unused pair on the Ethernet cable and fed 12V DC to the touchscreen. You have to cut the plug in power supply line and solder the barrel connector on the unused pair of wire at the touchscreen.

If I had it to do all over I would buy the POE adapter but at the time Radio Shack did not have any in stock.

I just used four of the D-Links (DWL P200 5 or 12 vdc) as recommended by ELK because they supply the "required" current. I wanted to do a hack but was concerned if something happened down the road, a warranty wouldn't be honored.
The D-Links work but the barrel plug that fits into the back of the TS07 was somewhat tempermental on 3 out of 4 of the TS07's. It did not want to maintain a good connection.
I didn't look very hard for any others but would have preferred a unit that did not "break out" the voltage plug at the TS07 end.

Back