Best setup + software + server combo for Elk + Iphone?

jokah

Hey guys,

I have been trying to figure out what system to use, and really, the web accessibility via iphone is a huge driving factor. Now, both HAI and ELK have independant apps that look great. I have been looking more into ELK just because there seems to be so much more documentation on them...

So now my question to ask you all is fairly straightforward.

1) whats the most robust elk m1 model i can get to cover everthing

What type of setup would you recommend in conjunction with the elk m1* to:

View cameras CCTV - still images at the very least, probably just going to get a CCTV to IP converter.
PC Access for setting up zones, rules, etc
Web access from laptop
Local access va iphone
Web access via iphone

I am just digging into this now, so I am not sure what I am looking at since I have been eyeballing hai products.

So for the setup,

I would need

ELK m1*
+
ELK RemoteManagementSoftware
+
Server to install said software on
+
Iphone program (like eKeypad Pro)
+
Firewall/Router with VPN?

I am just digging into this now, so I am not sure what I am looking at since I have been eyeballing hai products.

So for the setup,

I would need

ELK m1*
+
ELK RemoteManagementSoftware
+
Server to install said software on
+
Iphone program (like eKeypad Pro)
+
Firewall/Router with VPN?

ELK M1 Gold
+
ELK M1XEP Ethernet Interface (web access)
+
eKeypad Pro
+
Firewall/Router

This should do what you've requested.

Once you start, you'll want to be able to control your lights and HVAC and sound also. The eKaypad Pro software is addictive :)

A basic, java version is included with the XEP, but the full RMS desktop software is a separate purchase.

If you run a Mac it will work just fine in a VM....as will ELk-RP.

So I have a little confusion in this area,

What exactly comes with XEP? A basic firmware remote management setup?

So then how does RMS work if its not on a server, or does RMS run locally and communicate with XEP?

....for full functionality of eKeypad pro, is XEP the only element thats required, or is it better to be running a webserver, etc?

The XEP is simply an ethernet adapter for the M1.

You are correct that RMS is client software that communicates with the M1 via an ethernet network and the XEP.

eKeypad Pro only requires the XEP. No other software is required.

Just curious, are there plans to extend this application to other devices, like Android OS devices?

With the Apple v Google battle going full force, I wonder how the landscape may change in the near future. I wouldn't ever bet against either of those companies, but Google generally seems to be unstoppable.

As a side note, I highly recommend the Google Voice application.. great idea!

I am investigating the possibilities of supporting other platforms but there are no near term plans.

Just curious, are there plans to extend this application to other devices, like Android OS devices?

With the Apple v Google battle going full force, I wonder how the landscape may change in the near future. I wouldn't ever bet against either of those companies, but Google generally seems to be unstoppable.

The following times were an average of 3 attempts. They measure of the time from touching the icon to a fully functional interface.

This includes application load time, connection to the M1, authentication were indicated and full population of all statuses (lights, zones, etc.)

Local Wifi using unsecured port: ~2 seconds (26ms latency)
Local Wifi using the secured port (SSL): ~6 seconds (135ms latency)
3G using the unsecured port: ~4 seconds (300ms latency)
3G using the secure port (SSL): ~10 seconds (615ms latency)

It should be noted that your performance in general is directly related to your latency. On a 3G connection latency is most affected by your signal quality. The bars you see on the phone are the signal strength and have no bearing on the signal quality.

Within eKeypad I have a status page that lists the latency of the current connection. This is the amount of time between sending a message and finishing the processing of the M1 response. In my testing I have seem that local wifi connection typically have a latency of about 20-150ms and 3G connections in the range of about 350-3000. You will also note a large impact from the use of the SSL secured port on the M1 and the extra authentication login steps it requires.

In all cases, the user interface performs the same in all scenarios once this initial load is completed.

jayson,

whats avg load time for your software on a reg iphone 3g?

I am investigating the possibilities of supporting other platforms but there are no near term plans.

have any plans gained traction for other platforms? android? web os?
Thanks!

have any plans gained traction for other platforms? android? web os?
Thanks!

I, too, would love to see an android version.

Not yet.

The next few months are focused on eK Server (remote management tools for installers) and a big IP Video update.

My plan is to re-address the status of the various platforms this fall.

jokah,

I've been using eKeypad basically since the week it released; It's an awesome addition to the system. Despite how cool the Elk is and the integration that goes with it, it'd be nearly meaningless to brag about if I didn't have the ability to pull out my iPhone from anywhere, and demonstrate that I can affect my lights and my garage doors and my sprinklers and check my alarm remotely. Even before Jayson wrote it, I found myself using an RDP app to remote into my home PC so I could access ElkRM from my phone.

I guess I'm trying to say - it's a very powerful combination and I really couldn't live without it. The delay is only a few seconds (maybe 5 or so) once I open the app... in fact, I use it nearly every day after work to open my garage door (my remote doesn't work in the evenings for some reason). You won't be disappointed.

Also to clarify - the Elk XEP attaches to the Elk's main serial port. It gives you the ethernet connection. It has a web-server built in with a java app that can be run to control the system... nothing special, but it gets the job done. Mainly though, it lets you connect it to the network so you can use ElkRP, eKeypad, and anything else you want to access it over the network with, including ElkRMS.

Back