Best way to mount an Elk XIN in a can?

RandyKnight

I will need to mount serveral Elk zone expanders in a 50" can. I see the holes in the circuit board don't line up to the holes in the can? How do you mount these? Drill holes that mate with the XIN or is there another solution?

Steve said:
I also like the flat mount style. Another option is several cards on a single mounting plate attached with plastic standoffs. Electrons method is cool and allows more cards to be added in the same space if real estate becomes tight.
The link to your site with photos is great. I used a couple of those mounting plates already to mount the controller. Makes perfect sense to use them for the rest of the parts as well.

I also noticed how you have your VAUX broken out with the little plastic terminals. I like that look. Where did you get those / what are they?

Those are European strips from Radio Shack. If I had to do it over (and I will in my place) I would seriously look at the DIN rail terminal blocks. But anything will work, even B connectors, just depends on how much you want to spend and how neat and secure and maintainable you want it.

Steve said:
Those are European strips from Radio Shack. If I had to do it over (and I will in my place) I would seriously look at the DIN rail terminal blocks. But anything will work, even B connectors, just depends on how much you want to spend and how neat and secure and maintainable you want it.
For me, it's all about the "maintainable" part. It makes sense to me to only ever terminate the sensors once, whether that be terminal blocks, punchdown, etc. and then patch from there to the M1 so you can "plug and play" at will.

Steve said:
If I had to do it over (and I will in my place) I would seriously look at the DIN rail terminal blocks.
Do you have a good source for these blocks? They look interesting but every time I do a search I go nuts looking at industrial manufacturers that want to sell thousands of pieces in dozens of varieties. My neighborhood store has the rails but not the connectors.

Try All Electronics. I think they have them for about $2.00 a piece (cheaper if you buy large qty).

They also have a few other neat things and also what might be considered "junk".

Digger said:
Try All Electronics.
That's where I went. Plenty of plastic DIN rails, no connectors. I bought a bunch of the European style, but would like to try the DIN's.

Steve said:
I was going to look at a few local places, but if they do not have it, or the price was crazy, Automation Direct seems to be the popular place.
That's one of the sites I visited. Everything seems to be in 100 piece bags. Let me know what you find locally.

Wow, it looks like they totally changed manufacturers too. I don't have the time now, but I'll have to look more into it and find some of the older threads. I think TonyNo originally pointed to some of these sources and may know others.

Back