Bracket or Velcro 24 port switch inside cabinet?

The router-on-a-stick and other in-switch routing functions are pretty impressive on cisco units.  LOTS of programmable potential; that's well documented and tested.

What kind of prices were you seeing for that combo?

One 24-port POE switch I've come across lately that looks intriguing is the Engenius 24-port Gig POE+ switch - runs ~$380 which is really good for POE+/Gig.  I did install one for a client (they purchased) but admittedly I didn't put it through its paces.

I'll never argue that Cisco is the best when you need enterprise features and documented solutions...  there are all kinds of examples for just about anything you could want to do with them... 

That said, I have found the Mikrotik devices to be extremely powerful as well - a fraction of the price but extremely capable and powerful - they're just very raw in that the interfaces are more simply entry points and not nice wizardry screens by any stretch.  In addition I've found that Cisco devices are often WAN speed limiting forcing you into pretty expensive models to unlock full WAN speeds if you're fortunate enough to have a super fast connection.

A managed 24 port switches I have are a touch over $100 run low energy and has a tiny footprint and a fast GUI/CLI.

You can run GRE (old technology?) on a DD-WRT modded router or a DIY PFSense box that you today install on a tiny embedded computer for less than $100.

Here is an example using a $20 micro TP-Link portable router modded with OpenWRT that talk wireless, GSM and has two NICs on it about 3.5" square.  Its currently "plugged in" to my HAI OPII panel and is using the current power supply of the panel (fits nicely in the HAI OPII can).

config interface 'mygre'
        option peeraddr '66.xxx.xxx.1'
        option mtu '1476'
        option proto 'gre'
        option network 'wan'

config interface 'mygre_static'
        option proto 'static'
        option ifname '@mygre'
        option ipaddr '10.197.0.2'
        option netmask '255.255.255.252'

config 'route' 'gre_tunnel'
        option interface 'mygre_static'
        option target '192.168.17.0'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option gateway '10.197.0.1'

Both of the above footprints fit fine and are smaller aforementioned SOHO Cisco device.

That said the 24 port SOHO small footprint do what every box is right around the corner and it will be probably around $100 USD.

My initial playing around with the Cisco SOHO stuff years ago indicated it worked fine but mostly only in CLI mode as the original GUI's sucked and appeared to have been written by a 3 year old (too the performance was really slow) for use of folks that didn't or couldn't use the Cisco CLI stuff.

Not knocking Cisco. 

My use in a commercial sense was to shut down an internet edge pop in San Francisco / Oakland and create a state of the art internet pop in Chicago; then using a GRE tunnel to provide that to San Franciso/Oakland for use with wireless and wired internet access.  The domestic / enterprise network (number of clients) was around 100k plus at the time. 

Well too it was utilized for the legacy Novell servers still in place at the time and utilized much.  (the Novell stuff could not be shut off). 

Around the same time worked with Cisco on a router plus feature OS implementation using Alps MATIP (cost savings measure of an update to old controllers still utilized).  It was fun stuff and Cisco router magic.  Justification costs relating to the use of wireless mostly at the time (and that was very difficult to prove up a case of the spend).

Cisco Alps MATIP.....stuff is embedded in my head as I had to write an instructional manual for implementation and configuration on the enterprise WAN comprised of all Cisco routers at the time.

With Airline Product Set (ALPS) MATIP protocol networking, Cisco provides support for translating P1024B (Airline Line Control [ALC]) and P1024C (Universal Terminal Support [UTS]) protocol traffic on properly configured Cisco 2500, 2600. 3600, 4500, and 4700 series router serial interfaces into IP traffic using TCP/IP according to the MATIP specification defined by RFC 2351. MATIP support is added to the Cisco IOS® software as part of the Plus feature packages. MATIP translation allows enterprises to transport the ALC and UTS traffic from agent set control units (ASCUs) at remote locations across a TCP/IP network to TCP/IP-based applications running on mainframes and other servers as shown in.

Work2Play said:
What kind of prices were you seeing for that combo?

One 24-port POE switch I've come across lately that looks intriguing is the Engenius 24-port Gig POE+ switch - runs ~$380 which is really good for POE+/Gig.  I did install one for a client (they purchased) but admittedly I didn't put it through its paces.

I'll never argue that Cisco is the best when you need enterprise features and documented solutions...  there are all kinds of examples for just about anything you could want to do with them... 

That said, I have found the Mikrotik devices to be extremely powerful as well - a fraction of the price but extremely capable and powerful - they're just very raw in that the interfaces are more simply entry points and not nice wizardry screens by any stretch.  In addition I've found that Cisco devices are often WAN speed limiting forcing you into pretty expensive models to unlock full WAN speeds if you're fortunate enough to have a super fast connection.

I'm looking at the 2851 with 16-port POE module, obviously all managed, for $390. I'll also have access to the latest IOS version(s) and support... and have a good friend who is VERY knowledgeable with Cisco products.

I'm getting about 50-60Mbps from my ISP right now, which the 2851 is able to support; that's plenty for me at this time and I don't foresee needing more anytime soon.

Just a guess but a $100 USD SOHO smaller footprint managed 16 port POE new switch combo router is around the corner IT timewise.

Personally looking in the right places you could actually purchase what you are looking for ....and maybe for less than $100....

pete_c said:
Just a guess but a $100 USD SOHO smaller footprint managed 16 port POE new switch combo router is around the corner IT timewise.

Personally looking in the right places you could actually purchase what you are looking for ....and maybe for less than $100....

I'm finding the 2851 ISR for around $130... what raises the price (for that solution) is that you need the POE module (roughly $135) and a specific power supply to support it (roughly $125).

I actually spent about 3-4 hours looking into a number of different solutions, and I was finding that most other managed 16-port POE solutions were around the same price. Heck, a new D-Link 8-port POE switch goes for around $170... x 2 you're at $340 vs. $390 (which provides full routing vs. just switching). So, I'll probably spend a little more than I could if I really searched for deals, but I think I get a better value with capability and support.

The Cisco boxes are built like "brick shitboxes".  Never to fail. Note this a reference to an inanimate box not a person. 

They are very good learning tools for Cisco command line stuff. 

Once Cisco command line is mastered its no different than old MSDOS or BASH and very fast relatively writing.

I still have left my stuff a la carte keeping the POE switches separate from the newer managed switches and the newer firewall.  I do have a 24 port managed tiny lower power switch in my Leviton 42" panel.  That said I helped wire a friends new home.  I suggested a 42" panel which he did purchase and we installed in his basement.  In it I did put in a DD-WRT router for router use and another one for AP use in his attic along with a 16 port Gb switch (with really is a bit of clutter inside of the can).  I used the older Linksys WRT-54GLs for this stuff.  The other option and a tad smaller is the Buffalo modded with DD-WRT router.  I also tried DD-WRT on the Ubiquiti AP and while I liked it; liked the Ubiquiti OS better.   A nice solution with a small footprint would be an all in one device that uses no power (well except for the POE stuff).  I am now using POE for a lot of stuff; way more than just a couple of years ago. 

My favourite still POE "box" is the Tycon midstream 24 port POE injector.   It has three autonomous power supplies for each set of 8 POE ports plus an AUX power port for more power.  It is though a standard sized 1 U rack mounted device and a bit heavy.  The small tiny Tycon POE switches are nice with the ability to add whatever amperage power supplies to them.

The large Tycon 24 port mid stream injector switch is managed power wise but not really network wise.  Its an odd look to it that I am not used to with an IN network port and an OUT POE network port per each port making for 48 ports on the 24 port injector.  I can read the power draw and shut off ports on the individual pairs of network connections; but not much else.

Back