Brultech ECM-1240 install

dBeau

I just finished up my upgrade from an ECM-1220 to three ECM-1240's. I couldnt quite decide how I wanted to map my 48 breakers onto the 21 available channels so I was looking for an easy way to change things during and after the install. I thought I'd take a chance on using a 50 pair "66 block" to terminate the CT's. They are not designed to be used with stranded wires, but I made couple of test connections and after a few of tries I had discovered a working technique. Still, I was careful to test each connection after it was punched down. The 66 block worked fine for the micro 40 and micro 80 CTs but the wires on the split 200's were just a bit large to be punched down.

The next problem was mounting three ECM-1240s, wall warts, power strip, and the 66 block in a single 14" can while still being able to get at the terminals on the 1240's. The solution here was velcro. I drilled mounting holes in the can for each 1240 so I could finish up the install later with sheet metal screws. While doing the install, the velcro let me take a unit on and off the can while attaching wires to the terminals.

I used individual pairs from some scrap cat 6 for making the connections between the CTs on the 66 block and onto the ECM-1240s. Solid wire is what the 66 blocks were designed for and was much easier to punch down. The real fun was in deciding on the mapping between the circuits and the channels. At one point I had the fridge and the electric oven on the same channel. After seeing that the "signature" signal of the fridge was lost when the oven came on, I decided to put the oven on it's own channel. The 66 block made making the changes easy.

So what are those little red plastic clips that come with each unit supposed to be used for anyways?

Attachments

• IMG_2106.JPG
    IMG_2106.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 150
Hey dBeau,

The little red plastic clips are used to attach the monitors to a DIN rail. I attached two pictures to make it a bit clearer.

Ben

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 33
Back