Brultech ECM-1240 Installation

ultrajones

I recently installed a Brultech ECM-1240. While testing the basic installation, I could see an increase of 100 watts on CH 1 when I turned on a lamp connected to the first phase. However, when turning on a lamp on other phase, I don't see an increase or decrease in watts registered on CH 1. Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong?

I am uploading a picture showing the CT install within my electrical panel. I have the CT's extended back to the ECM-1240 via cat 5 where I have the white wire from CT 1 connected to "CH 1 - com", then the black wire from CT 1 connected to the white wire from CT 2, then the black wire from CT 2 connected to "CH 1 - dual". I also used the config tool to set CH 1 to split 100, dual CT.

Regards,
Ultrajones

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 201
Just thought I would say thanks! Nice Pictures! Just curious - How long is that Cat 5 run?

Just thought I would say thanks! Nice Pictures! Just curious - How long is that Cat 5 run?

Cannot tell the wire colors from the picture, but your description sounds correct and it looks like the CTs are installed correctly.

You might try swapping the CTs with each other and see if the problem moves to the other phase. Perhaps you have a bad CT?

tenholde

Found the issue! The white and black wires coming from the split-100 CT's are not bundled together, so I ended up wiring them up incorrectly (white wire from one, black wire from the other). I corrected the wiring issue and all manual load tests now pass (including the AUX inputs). Thank you to all that helped me resolve this issue.

Regards,
Ultrajones

I extended the CT's about 25 feet using 2 cat 5 cables. 1 cat 5 cable (2 pair) is used for the main CT's and the other cat 5 cable (4 pair) is used for AUX input 1-4. Seems to work great after I fixed the wiring issue ;)

I extended the CT's about 25 feet using 2 cat 5 cables. 1 cat 5 cable (2 pair) is used for the main CT's and the other cat 5 cable (4 pair) is used for AUX input 1-4. Seems to work great after I fixed the wiring issue ;)

Glad you figured it out. You had me stumped.

I also extended my CT's around 60' with no problem. I took actual load readings on Sunday and compared to what HS was reporting and was within 2%. Good enough for me.

I also saved a extra CT on each of my 240V balanced loads by asking tenholde to set up ratios/factors in his server app to report double values on each channel.

He released a patch today and it works great!

I have 2 cat 5 extenders running about 75 feet and they seem to be working perfectly. The 1240 has been glitch free for the last 3 weeks.

That's great news about the extensions - I was wondering where I would mount my 1240 when I get it. Sounds like I can put it just about anywhere.

have 400a service and 3 panels -- 2 200a, 1-100a. I installed the split 200 ct's to the first. i assume i need another set for the second and then something for the 100a subpanel. ch 1 and ch 2 will be the main panels, aux 1 is the subpanel... do i needf resistors or anything. i am getting confused. thanks

Back