Building net-zero-energy home: need automation advice!

I renewed my 12-month contract last week. It's for 100% renewable source electricity. I assume it is wind generated. The price was $08.7/kWh at 1000kWh. If I had not opted for 100% renewable, I could have gotten $08.2 from the same provider.

Are you talking about final consumer price or fuel charge? My bill actually separates out the various components and the fuel charge is about 3.5 cents/kwh.

Austin energy (2009) is about 27% each for coal, NG, and nuclear with about 10% renewable (wind) and a small amount they buy on the open market. It is interesting to see how little nuclear fuel costs are since the fuel cost is about 5% of the fuel budget despite 28% of the energy comming from it.

Glad to hear my 6000sf house is using the typical energy of a 2500sf house.

Are you talking about final consumer price or fuel charge? My bill actually separates out the various components and the fuel charge is about 3.5 cents/kwh.

Austin energy (2009) is about 27% each for coal, NG, and nuclear with about 10% renewable (wind) and a small amount they buy on the open market. It is interesting to see how little nuclear fuel costs are since the fuel cost is about 5% of the fuel budget despite 28% of the energy comming from it.

Glad to hear my 6000sf house is using the typical energy of a 2500sf house.

In my previous post, I meant $.087/kWh (8.7 cents per kWh).

It includes energy charge (per kWh), base charge (flat monthly amount), and TDU delivery charges (both flat monthly amount and per kWh charge). The number is based on 1000kWh/month consumption. Most of the plans/rates available in Texas are shown at www.powertochoose.org. Can you shop around for your power in Austin?

I renewed my 12-month contract last week. It's for 100% renewable source electricity. I assume it is wind generated. The price was $08.7/kWh at 1000kWh. If I had not opted for 100% renewable, I could have gotten $08.2 from the same provider.

Ira: Wind-generated electricity usually costs about twice as much as coal-generated electricity. I don't know where you are located, but it might be hydro rather than wind. Otherwise, there's probably a subsidy involved.

David

Just for comparison... this is a 4K sq ft. home in northern california (we have hot summers in the 110+ range) - 5yr old home with decent appliances; gas hot water, conventional A/C with Gas furnace and the crappiest dual-pane windows in existence... We bought at the tail end of June last year (moved in mid july) and this is our usage and cost since. In Jan/Feb, I'd be willing to bet our gas fireplace accounts for much of the gas consumption - my wife loves having it on.

That's roughly 36,000 BTU/year/ft2 -- about average. The EIA gives a residential energy intensity for single-family detached homes in the West as 37,000 BTU/year/ft2 (google "energy intensity per square foot for residential housing").

David

In my previous post, I meant $.087/kWh (8.7 cents per kWh).

It includes energy charge (per kWh), base charge (flat monthly amount), and TDU delivery charges (both flat monthly amount and per kWh charge). The number is based on 1000kWh/month consumption. Most of the plans/rates available in Texas are shown at www.powertochoose.org. Can you shop around for your power in Austin?

Nope, no choice at my house. I think that some parts of the greater Austin area have a choice between Austin energy and Perdinales Electric Co-op. Not sure, they may just be stuck with PEC while I am stuck with Austin. Austin Electric is fairly reasonable so I won't complain too much.

And I new what you meant by the price. You say that the 8.7 is for 1000kwh. Is that a tiered system where you pay more at higher consumption rates. Our first 500kwh are only billed out at like 4 or 5 cents/kwh then it tiers up to like 9.

Ira: Wind-generated electricity usually costs about twice as much as coal-generated electricity. I don't know where you are located, but it might be hydro rather than wind. Otherwise, there's probably a subsidy involved.

David

I'm near Houston, TX. The provider only mentions wind power in their "green energy" plans. Hydro in Texas is less than .5% (one-half of one percent) of the total. Wind power is over several percent and growing pretty fast due to state mandates. I'm sure there are various subsidies involved, but I don't know how much they help the price.

Most Texas electricity comes from natural gas fired generation plants.

Back