Cable Amplifier causing bad return signal

bezoar

I have one of these Leviton Distribution modules installed in a leviton panel to distribute the incoming comcast cable signal throughout the house. Last weekend the cable was out and I found an orange maintenance tag on the outside cable saying bad return signal and my cable was blocked. Voice and internet still worked fine. Other than the tag I had no indication they were even there. Finally another tech came out at my request this weekend and he had no clue what the tag was for or why I was disconnected. The only thing he could surmise was that my cable amplifier was feeding back and causing the bad signal return. He disconnected the amplifier and put in a splitter so at least two tv's work now. Anyone have this problem with a cable amplifier? Is there a way to prevent a back signal so I can use my amplifier again?

I would have thought he should have at least tested signal strength, or some other diagnostics rather then just disconnect the amp and put in a small splitter.

Also, possible you may need a 'return path' amplifier as described here.

I would have hoped for a more complete diagnostic so you would have known if the problem was a long cable run, improper F connector terminations, etc...

I would have thought he should have at least tested signal strength, or some other diagnostics rather then just disconnect the amp and put in a small splitter.

Nope, he just assumed it was my amplifier, didn't test anything. Signal strength at both Tivo boxes is the same as before (which was always good) so as far as I can tell there is no difference. I'm tempted to hook up the amplifier again but would like to know if this is a known issue in case they come back and test it again, don't what to get disconnected again. No one at comcast can tell me what the 1st guy found and why he disconnected me, there are no notes or record anywhere that comcast can find. Clearly the right hand is not communicating with the left. What a shocker.

Possibly that amp is providing a bad return path. Found this LINK explaining this a bit.

Possible you may need a return path amplifier.

I would have hoped for a more complete diagnostics from your technician so you know if the problem is the result of a long cable run, improper F connector terminations somewhere, etc...

Possibly that amp is providing a bad return path. Found this LINK explaining this a bit.

Possible you may need a return path amplifier.

I would have hoped for a more complete diagnostics from your technician so you know if the problem is the result of a long cable run, improper F connector terminations somewhere, etc...

Thanks for the link. I'm afraid a reverse path would help the return path, but I would lose the forward amplification. Can I put the return path amp in front of the distribution amp so I get amplification in both directions, or would an active return path amplifier work better since it does both? Of course I'd hate to throw money at this not actually knowing the real problem, I may have to ask them to come back to do some diagnostic work.

I currently have a mixture of satellite and BB cable. I have in place a Leviton (a few years old) which provides amplification to cable / passthru for satellite...its kind of old (but its worked fine). I split the cable before it goes to the amp to the comcast modem. Its a 3x8 Enhanced RF Distribution Module.

Just recently purchased one of these and gave it a test. It worked well and will provide what you need.

BB Amp

You may need something like this where you can adjust the gain of the return path - you may have had too much or too little return signal.

http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/video...CFdJL5Qodtxj-iw

This should work, but dang, I'd like to know the actual problem before blowing $200. Plus I'll still need a splitter, although I guess I could still use the distribution amplifier to split the signal.

I currently have a mixture of satellite and BB cable. I have in place a Leviton (a few years old) which provides amplification to cable / passthru for satellite...its kind of old (but its worked fine). I split the cable before it goes to the amp to the comcast modem. Its a 3x8 Enhanced RF Distribution Module.

Just recently purchased one of these and gave it a test. It worked well and will provide what you need.

BB Amp

This has a passive return, so it won't help solve the problem if it is my cable amplifier.

Historically I've used the Comcast modem diagnositic page to see the return path signal. I am not sure if this would help you though. Are you feeding any in house video back into your house BB? I keep my BB and OTA separate with two separate amps and feed two channel feeds (Tivo) back via the OTA feeds.

You can open a ticket with Comcast, write the ticket number down. Escalate the ticket to 2nd level support and that might help you some. I've had problems with CC in FL; its a bit difficult to deal with them sometimes. There in FL I switched over to FIOS and the neighbors were still using CC. They had some issues with the signals being passed underground. They put new cable between two poles outside and very low crossing the path of my front driveway. Many calls to technical support. Interesting cuz when I called the local town about their wiring debacle they told me that had no control how CC ran their lines - which doesn't make any sense to me cuz they are using town infrastructure to pass their signals. Its always easiest for CC to kick back the issue to the user and close the ticket. Its documented in their DB's somewhere. Just have them re-open the ticket or create a new help desk ticket until the issue if solved.

When CC blocked my SMTP port 25 sending me an email that I was sending out spam (which I wasn't) I found out that legally if I own my modem they had to tell me in advance what and when they were doing to my device. They didn't. Did some reading and found some civil legal suits related to what they were doing. I brought up the mention of these suits to CC security 2nd level support. They undid their changes (blocking SMTP port 25) within 10 minutes of my second call to support. I utilize multiple email services (and some still utilize SMTP port 25); guess they didn't take that into account when blocking their customers modem port smtp 25.

Side comment - sitting in a hotel room tethering my pc to my phone as the connection is faster than the hotel wireless.

Historically I've used the Comcast modem diagnositic page to see the return path signal. I am not sure if this would help you though. Are you feeding any in house video back into your house BB? I keep my BB and OTA separate with two separate amps and feed two channel feeds (Tivo) back via the OTA feeds.

You can open a ticket with Comcast, write the ticket number down. Escalate the ticket to 2nd level support and that might help you some. I've had problems with CC in FL; its a bit difficult to deal with them sometimes. There in FL I switched over to FIOS and the neighbors were still using CC. They had some issues with the signals being passed underground. They put new cable between two poles outside and very low crossing the path of my front driveway. Many calls to technical support. Interesting cuz when I called the local town about their wiring debacle they told me that had no control how CC ran their lines - which doesn't make any sense to me cuz they are using town infrastructure to pass their signals. Its always easiest for CC to kick back the issue to the user and close the ticket. Its documented in their DB's somewhere. Just have them re-open the ticket or create a new help desk ticket until the issue if solved.

When CC blocked my SMTP port 25 sending me an email that I was sending out spam (which I wasn't) I found out that legally if I own my modem they had to tell me in advance what and when they were doing to my device. They didn't. Did some reading and found some civil legal suits related to what they were doing. I brought up the mention of these suits to CC security 2nd level support. They undid their changes (blocking SMTP port 25) within 10 minutes of my second call to support. I utilize multiple email services (and some still utilize SMTP port 25); guess they didn't take that into account when blocking their customers modem port smtp 25.

Side comment - sitting in a hotel room tethering my pc to my phone as the connection is faster than the hotel wireless.

Not feeding any in house video back. I have separate distribution amps for the OTA and cable. Both Tivo boxes are fed solely by the bable amp. I would kill to be able to switch to FIOS but apparently they are not planning any installations within Seattle city limits for the near future. I had too many reception problems with DirecTV so I'm stuck with Comcast. Thanks for the advice, I'll trying bumping up to a higher level of support.

Be persistent with Comcast; they don't like support call tickets being open very long. I utilize a DTivo and an SA Tivo ; very high WAF.

Back