Camera Comparisons

Here is a side by side comparison between a Mini Spy Cam i bought from ebay (on Left) and a fairly inexpensive USB Web cam made by logitech. The logictech cam is the same one i did a review on a while back. Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. (on Right)

The snap shots where taken at the exact same time using Active WebCam and the Print Screen Button. You can notice the the $15.00 camera from ebay is not good in low light whereas the logitech usb cam performs very well.

I have two of the logitech cams laying around and i am probably going to try and disect once of them to see if its possible to unsoldier the CCD component and located it remotely away from the USB parts. This would make for an ideal setup for me but Im not sure if its possible yet.

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 103
I use a couple of Sony CCD cams (sold under a generic name). Cost about $100 bucks each. I have them hard wired thru an ASEL switch.

Attached is an image from the camera mounted above my garage as triggered by my front gate being opened.

Attachments

• GatePic.jpg
    GatePic.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 132
Here's an image from my $29 B/W IR camera from Harbor Frieght.

Attachments

• camer.jpeg
    camer.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 103
I've got most of my cameras on the main page of my website. I'm replacing the old B&W cameras I have as quality is deteriorating.

I finally installed my D-Link DCS-5300 outside in a security dome on my shed. I found a custom dome here for the camera. Although it is rated for indoors, it operates fine currently. When we start to get our sub-zero temperatures here in Upstate NY, I may need to add a warmer to the housing.

It's fully integrated into my website, so you can control the pan/tilt from the site and take a look at the picture quality. It's also integrated into Active Webcam for recording.

See it in action here....

I doubt it can handle too many folks viewing it at once, so if you receive an error, it's most likely overloaded.

I want to bump this thread back to the top and ask you guys to post night shots of any night vision (IR) cameras you have. I finally got a DVR and I purchased the HAWK-145IRCB 8mm Lens and I am not having any luck with facial recognition. So if you have a person or a dummy you can stick out their for comparison that would be helpful. I will start with a shot of my Hawk taken just before full dark set in.

Attachments

• HAWK_camera_Screenshot_dawn.jpg
    HAWK_camera_Screenshot_dawn.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 49
That image isn't too bad, much better then the one in your PM.

I think you need a tighter lens if you want facical identification from an NTSC/VGA camera. If you noticed you are one of the few actually capturing 4CIF, most of these pics were CIF (320x240). In looking at your peers it seems you have decent system going.

I'll put up some HD stuff later when I have more time.

I have just started looking into this myself.

My problem at the moment is that the camera has a much better quality picture than the DVR's I have tested so far.

I have personally tested 3 different securty DVR's at this point and not happy with the recorded video ( compared to live camera ) on any of them.

Not to mention comparing quality technical info from a camera to a DVR I seem to be a little lost.

StevenE

This is from a Panasonic BL-C20 wireless netcam, taken on an overcast day with no inside lighting on.

SnapshotJPEG.jpg

Attachments

• SnapshotJPEG.jpg
    SnapshotJPEG.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 9
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I'm real glad this to see traffic on this thread again. I'm looking to purchase 3 or 4 external cams and a couple of interior cams and have been looking for some side by side comparisons of the picture quality, etc.. But I've only been able to find old threads (such as this one) that make such comparisons or recommendations. And subsequently, most of the links are out of date and I'd like to believe there's newer/better equipment available now.

Have I missed any other threads or is there some other resource for someone looking to setup a small surveillance cam network (for home)?

TIA,
Ed T.

OK Collin,

I am just dieing to know what your set up is to get HD from a security cam.

While I surely can't record HD to my DVR (not enough gigs), I sure would love to have a HD realtime display on my 50" plasma.

I licking my lips......

Maybe a new thread...... PLEASE!!!!!

Thats actually the day pic... Thats my top end nightvision cam... :huh:

I don't push the day cam but it's got a whopping 33% more resolution then that during good lighting indoors/daytime. It's more $ and only works killer 1/2 the time (1/2 of a day is night).

Once it gets dark I might re-rig it up for some night shots.

It's not "realtime" or "live", I install them on a dedicated gigabit network and they run some 20fps and delay is not very noticeable (no focusing troubles).

Well just because you have HD capability doesn't me you actually fully use it, I don't have a single customer thats 100% HD. I just don't sell them that way. These cameras are very good in specific locations, OBVIOUSLY they can take the place of SEVERAL conventional NTSC cameras in the right situation. As always each installation is different and there are many variables to consider to mazimize the bang:buck ratio. This camera is not cheap but it's cheaper then many situations where you wind up buying 2 and still aren't satisfied.

They do look good on my 50" Plasma. ;)

Collin - can you "ball park" a price for something like that?

I'm still months (if not years) away from adding CCTV to my setup. I'm just curious.

~$1000 plus lense, not too bad at all considering that some NTSC/VGA stuff goes for $600, many IP cams are more expensive. The thing is knowing which camera to put where for true satisfaction.

Back