Camera Recommendations

Here the original layout for CCTV cameras had house cameras at two levels on the 2 story home.  Under the eaves and mid level brick mounted.  Brick mounted were most difficult.  Out side facing had the sprinkler installers put PVC chases (non water) from the back yard deck and front of house area out to long chases (~ 100, 200 and 300 feet) at periferal edges of property where over time built berms and put cameras in the berms facing the home.  IE: 3-4 driveway cams; two from the house out and two from the end of the driveway in.  Back yard had two from the house out and two from the edges of the property in.  I used 6X6 wooden posts hollowed out with a 1-2" drill bit for wires.  Mixed wires at the posts.  LV and HV.  All of these endeavors were done in baby steps.  IE: custom built mailbox which was a 6 foot by 3 foot cement pad with brick and a glass block top with a custom mail box box insert.  Ran two chases to the cement base here which was ~ 5 foot deep with cement and supporting structures.  The mail box was a com closet of sorts with cables going to the driveway.

Here CCTV evolved some going from analog to IP to HD IP.  Continued to utilize the OmniPro 2 panel such that I split and amplified signals here. 

I just started using Shinobi for my DVR software. It's fairly new (a couple of years old), but I think the software has finally gotten to the point of being fairly stable. I've had no real issues setting it up. They have two versions, a free version called CE and a pro version. However the pro version is free for personal non-commercial use. The versions are the same feature wise, but the pro version is updated more frequently.

As far as camera selection, I think it is a great time to be starting. The technology continues to get better and the prices continue to fall.  My I bought my first IP camera (an ACTi ACM-4200) 10+ years ago and the stuff available today is light years better quality and half the cost of what I paid for the 4200.

Stick with at least 2k (4mp) or 4k (8mp) cameras to ensure usable quality. I wouldn't recommend using PTZ cameras either. PTZ cameras are pointless unless you have staff monitoring the cameras 24/7. It's also cheaper to get several non-PTZ cameras to cover the same area that one PTZ might in a monitored setting.

Does anything support using 360 view or fisheye-style cameras?  I know the resolution isn't going to be as high as 'normal' views, but they're an interesting alternative to having multiple cameras for areas that might need just basic monitoring not full-on LPR of face rec.

Here went to testing IP camera boards many many years ago.  Today the camera board are 38mm square and have built in computers and you can interchange any lens with them.  Historically have JTAG'd the OS's and been able to tweak them a bit.

Here is a $43 HD IP Fisheye lens camera board. (it is only 2 MP though).

fisheye lens.jpg

Might retrofit one of these in to my Opex combo CCTV cameras.  These Optex cameras are used for outdoors and have a very stealthy look and you cannot tell these are cameras. (camera, PIR, night day sensor devices).

Relating to Shinobi software here installed it on one of my KODI boxes with one camera going to the OmniPro 2 panel.  It has been on 24 / 7 and stable running fine and not affecting KODI at all.  It is only one camera.

Boring view of my parrot that sleeps most of the days these days.

Here testing it with the Leviton Windows 10 remote locally and via VPN and it is working great.

Back