Can I get some guidance please.

N49atv

Hello everyone. I have been sent this way from the AVS forum. I'm getting a new home built, with dedicated theater plans in the unfinished basement. So in the progress of planning that, I'd like to automate my home with future proofing. I've searched the web, and found a lot of outdated data. So here are my goals, can you help me narrow down to a system, so I can research the wiring requirements, so the electrical drawings can be completed.

-Home theater with automated lighting. 4 scenes (all on, all off, mid lighting for sports, low light for movies)
-heating cooling integration, outside temp display a plus. With remote changing, if I'm on my way home from a trip, I'd like to turn the temp back up an hour from home via phone.
-monitoring of room lighting, and control. Both phone, and touchpad. If the wife worries about her straightener is unplugged, I can remotely check draw, or just toggle it off. Or if I forget office lights on, I can turn off from a pad in room.
-hard wired security
-door annunciation. A friend has a cheap kit that announces when doors are open, it helps track the kids.
-door lock control
-future blind controls
-future irrigation control, unfinished basement, and no yard, so just 2DO for solenoids, front and back yard.
-wireless video monitor capabilities (just for a video baby monitor)
-music in kitchen, den, rec room with iPod docks.

I think for lighting zones I would have...

Upstairs,
4 bedrooms
Play room
Bathroom, maybe control
Ensuite, Maybe control

Downstairs,
living room
Dining room
Kitchen/pantry
Laundry
Den
1/2 bath (maybe)

Basement,
Bar/nook
Theater (with remote)
Rec room

General,
Front outside (maybe driveway light stand)
Rear deck lights
Xmas lights

So maybe 20 zones, or 22 with bathroom receptacle switching.

Also the wife would prefer some nice touch pads. I'd say 2. One in or outside our room, and one by the front door.
I'm not sure what 3rd part displays work, or thermostats etc.

Now I don't think all of this will be in the budget, or be needed right away (the basement will be unfinished, no yard etc) but I'd like to prewire for all potentials.

In looking at stuff online, I think the HAI OPII will do all that I need or want. I'm not sure if a combination of other products would be better.

Nor am 100% on the wiring requirements for everything. The HAI PDF is quiet the read do far.

So can anyone point me in the right direction? Am I on the right path? Also any specific wiring guides for devices?

Thanks.

There are several Home Automation packages. I use HomeSeer and love it. Each comes with a free trial so I would recommend downloading the 30 day trial on your home PC and give it a shot. HomeSeer can interface with nearly anything you can throw at it. Some things take a bit of work but it's a fun hobby. If you have a digital scale the beer level would even be possible. The lightning is a good place to start. You just have to decide if you like X10, Z-Wave, UPB, Insteon or other protocol. I would recommend purchasing a few of each and try them out. I actually have all of the above in use and like them all for various reasons.

You want to accomplish a lot. It's certainly do-able, but it will take a lot of time to learn and figure out. Be patient. Even with DIY, it will be costly.

But if you're up to the challenge, it could be a lot of fun.

You may want to consider distributed audio (in-wall and in-ceiling speakers), while you're at it. And, once you start doing research, you'll see a lot of other cool ideas. Beware of scope creep, try to keep it focused.

UPB is a pretty popular lighting control platform. HAI and Elk would both be good options to start with.

Also consider cam at the front door and automating your garage doors.

Yeah, im trying to sift through the brands. Programming wont be an issue, I can program some stuff, and in my line of work, I work with programmers. So if it really came down to it, I could get someone I know to crank it out.

Ive been liking the UPB, but thats due to looking at the omnipro II, and the Haiku Home Automation for HAI app, which looks great. After that its gonna come down to moduals I need to add on. Id like it all to be IP based. As thats the future, and much easier to deal with, and compatability will only go up, were as RS-232 is going to slowly become outdated. (i still use RS232 daily, but buy old Dell D630s to use it)

Sorry started post before you sent yours.

Yes ill be adding music to the house, 3 zones. Upstairs living room (play room), the downstairs living and kitchen, and the bar/rec room. The dedicated theater will obviously be using an audio system, but it wont be for music.

Its gonna be costly. In looking at it, realistically ill be into a system for 10k, maybe more, depending on touch panels. It might be closer to 15k, if I go a little crazy. And thats DIY, ill have the upstairs roughed in for everything, but the basement will be unfinished, so ill finish that wiring etc.Also I'd like to have a few touchscreens for music/theater, are there simpler screens that I can use of another brand, or am I stuck with a full feature $1000 screen? It would be cheaper to mount iPad 3s in the wall.

A lot of IT people come in wanting everything IP based... but often that's not terribly realistic. HA still relies on RS232 for most interfaces, and it's the most reliable. The best way to get IP is to get some sort of master system that talks to everything via the native interfaces, and then you'd have IP control over that... for instance, an ISY/MiCasaVerde or an Elk/HAI, or Elve/CQC/Homeseer/Premise, etc.

All IP can be done, but that's not really how these systems are designed yet... and though IP is easier for techies, RS232 is a better protocol for HA in my opinion - it's direct connections, and not dependent on your IP addressing scheme and network reliability. For the average HA newbie, having a system that's reliable regardless of your network changes is generally a benefit, which is why I believe not many devices have moved towards IP except to access the master control. You can always pick up serial to IP converters as needed, or a serial card to put in a desktop.

As far as touchscreens, as you noticed, it's definitely getting more realistic to put in iPads vs. traditional touchscreens - hopefully you've found the ultimate list of iPad mounts here on this site. Some are geared towards permanent installation; some are geared towards being able to pop the control off and walk around the house, then put it back when you're done to charge/dock.

Well, I suppose future upgrades won't be an issue if you wire 232, 9 wire (if it requires it), or just pull cat5 for everything else 232. Though in my line of work anything over 100' we go to 485. Either native 485, or through converters. Though I don't think too much would be at or above the 100' range. Then again that could just be oilfield overkill.

Also could you link me to the iPad mounts? I'm just starting to learn tapatalk, have found it.

1.) Lighting - Since you are building new you should consider a hardwired lighting solution. Hardwired is generally considered more reliable than the alternative/retrofit solutions (UPB, ZWave, Zigbee, Insteon, X10).

2.) Security - For security your decision is mostly down to HAI or Elk. For door locks you should consider doing standard access control vs. the retrofit Kwikset/Schlage zwave/zibee locks. Again, regular access control is more reliable and doesn't rely on wireless, or batteries. Given your requirements, I would guess HAI is more fitting as you might be able to do it all in one package.

3.) Software - You should download trial version of CQC, Homeseer, Elve, Premise, etc. and play around and see which of these you like better. Most should be able to do what you want without much real programming.

Most people take a layer approach. You lay a base of lighting, video, audio, security etc. Layer on a PLC based automation panel (ELK/HAI) then layer on software. Done this way, you are not dependent on a PC, or even the automation panel when a failure occurs. (i.e. you don't want your pipes to freeze because the PC crashed, etc).

So who makes hard wired solutions that work with HAI? I suppose it doesn't matter really, as long as the protocol is supported. What would this entail? 232 to each switch I'd like control of?

Back