Can LV panel be installed next to a breaker panel?

pgray007

I have a 42" panel for my detached garage that will house an HAI expansion board, and some other automation-related components for the detached garage with (eventually) finished upstairs room. The builder ran conduit to the detached, but unfortunately ran it up the side of the building about 12" away from the electrical conduit that goes through the wall and into the breaker panel for the detached, effectively putting the conduit for the LV wiring one study "bay" to the right of the breaker panel.

He didn't punch through the wall with the LV conduit, so I could move it over a few feet, although then I'll have a conduit that goes up the side of the building, turns 90 degrees left, then enters the wall. Not a great visual solution and also not great for running wires since it adds another 90 degree turn.

Can I mount my LV panel right next to the electrical breaker panel? Code/functional issues if I do? The only other decent alternative I can think of is to bring teh conduit into the garage, then run another leg of conduit inside the wall up to the room above the garage and put the panel there. A bit more work, and a bit more difficulty if I want to add more wiring from the main house to the detached in the future, unless I leave a small access panel in the garage.

Thoughts?

I don't think you'll have problems - and I'm certainly not aware of code that'd have an issue with them since they're completely physically isolated.

Is the LV panel recessed into the wall?

If not, you might be violating the side clearance requirements for the breaker panel

I was curious about the side clearance requirements today so googling it.  Looks to be an average starting with 30" from center of fuse panel.  It does though come up in many discussions.  Actually the "rules" relating to how an electrical panel can be mounted relating to all kinds of stuff.

This in fact would be a good discussion as it appears that many folks coming to this forum are doing new construction and using automation and LV panels and somewhat doing some granular HV stuff relating to their electric in general.

Personally here added many new circuits and divided up older circuits adding separate breakers to provide granularity mostly relating to my automation. 

Here in the midwest utilize conduit.  I did also put some major lighting right above the fuse panel which gives me daylight (basement) within some few feet of the panel and overhead.  That said though I do have LV panels to both sides of the fuse panel; not adjacent to the panel as I did leave space for conduit / bends or boxes; even though I may never use them.

All of my conduit comes out the top or the bottom.  I did actually add local separate circuits for powerline connections.  These come out in a single conduit to multiple single gang boxes each with their own circuit in the panel and each with a powerline pim.

My surge protector is of a commercial style and it actually is mounted on the side of the panel with some maybe 8-10 guage wires and separate breakers at the top of the panel.

Not an issue....it's separated by a permanent insulator/barrier (framing). That is assuming all the wiring for the HV panel comes in either top or bottom of the enclosure.
archstenton said:

If not, you might be violating the side clearance requirements for the breaker panel

@ Pete, the 30" figure only comes into play for non electrical equipment or obstructions, but in the case specifically of a breaker enclosure and the structured wiring enclosure, they're equivalent as far as defined electrical equipment goes, only the wiring needs to be separated (150/600 V rules). There's a difference between working space and dedicated space. The only set in stone rule is the panel doors must be able to open 90 degrees and 3' of free/clear straight out from the enclosure. NEC artlcle and sections is 110.26....clearly spelled out in there what is permissible and not.

Regardless of the width of the electrical equipment, the working space cannot be less than 30 in. wide. This allows an individual to have at least shoulder-width space in front of the equipment. This 30-in. measurement can be made from either the left or the right edge of the equipment and can overlap other electrical equipment, provided the other equipment does not extend beyond the clearance required by Table 110.26(A)(1). If the equipment is wider than 30 in., the left-to-right space must be equal to the width of the equipment.

archstenton said:

Yes, it will be recessed. It's not yet installed, but that's the plan.

I'm installing a semi-recessed enclosure below my main load center/breaker panel.  It will house the surge protection device hanging off of the bottom of the load center.  My load center is flush mount into drywall, and the SPD is approximately level with the front of the drywall.  The problem with the SPD is that it's not exactly flush, and it has LED indicator lights that I'd like to see, after it's enclosed.

Eaton Cutler-Hammer 3-pack hangs off the bottom of the load center, similar to this:

56ee57d8-196a-498b-b492-43d080dfa50b_4.jpg

I've put in a tremendous amount of time into searching for an enclosure that has a clear door, and semi-recessed.

The only NEMA-rated enclosures I can find with clear doors are closed with hasps, on the side or corners.  So, I need to use an enclosure that is deep, so the hasps are still usable after it's recessed.

Will 2.5" of enclosure 'sticking out' of the drywall cause a code problem, if the enclosure is mounted directly below the load center?

I'm leaning toward this unit, from Mier Products:

BWSL12106C%20hinge_small.jpg

Or something like this from Wiegmann:

resize.php

12" x 10" x 6".  Hasps are technically not removable.

Anyone done this, seen something similar to this, or think this is a bad idea (or a good idea)?

pgray007, I apologize for the thread hijack - I think you're question was answered.  Let me know and I'll gladly move this.

Easiest would be to move the NEMA outlet and just put an access panel. You don't need an enclosure unless you really want to put one in.

Is there a reason why you must have a clear door and be readily accessable?

They make flush kits for those surges.

The 220V outlet will be moved.

The garage is drywalled.  The drywall was removed to install the SPD.

I bought an Eaton C-H flush mount plate.  It would work fine for the power module, but the coax and POTS modules are actually slightly recessed, compared with the power.  The plates were not designed for all 3 to be used together.

The SPD power module has 2 LEDs, witch I'd like to monitor visually.  I can't find a clear access panel (perhaps because a clear access door is often called a window).

I'll most likely be using some kind of partially recessed 6" deep enclosure with a clear door.  Hard to find an enclosure, rated and/or listed, without hasps. I think that's the key.

Back