Can't enroll M1XEP

You would go into networking on windows.

For example if your XEP was default at 192.168.0.251, then you would go into windows networking and set your PC to be something like 192.168.0.100 and then via the CMD prompt, you should be able to ping the XEP or via IE, enter the IP 192.168.0.251 and hit the XEP, assuming it's all set up in the M1 already.

I'll play around with that a little. That all makes sense, I just need to know how to get there.

I'm currently logged onto my router Netgear N300 WNR2000v2. Under the LAN setup, the "use router as DHCP server" is checked. I'm confused because the starting IP Address is 192.168.1.2 and ending IP is 192.168.1.254. The last two numbers can be changed. However, the first three cant. The static IP according to the ELK docs is 192.168.0.251. Any chance the starting IP on the router is the problem?

Baby steps first.

Disconnect the XEP from your router and go direct from the XEP via a crossover and your pc. We're not worried about your router or network right now, we're just trying to get you to connect to it, network configuration is after we're done configuring the xep.

Still got nothing.
XEP set to static, 2 quick blinks
Crossover cable connected
Windows vista, Network connections, local area connection, properties
Select Internet protocol version 4(TCP/IPv4), properties, use the following ip address.
I enter 192.168.0.100, subnet 255.255.255.0
Default gateway blank, DNS server blank
Type the XEP ip into explorer and nothing.

Run Advanced IP Scanner and see if anything comes up, then change you IP to something in the 192.168.1.x range mask the same, and run Advanced IP Scanner again. If it sees anything and you are connected by crossover that would be the XEP.

Or run the ElkRP Find with the crossover.

And on your router the reason you can't change the first two octets in the subnet in your DHCP settings is because they need to be on the same network as your router. You would need to change that first before altering the DHCP settings.

And when powering up the XEP give it a 10 minutes before trying anything, I lost my IP a couple of firmwares back and I wasn't waiting long enough for the XEP to boot.

I have setup the xep successfully, But I am still receiving lost comm errors while everything is working, after the keypad beeps lost comm check to see the number of devices enrolled.
Additionally the router will not accept that static IP try changing it to 192.168.1.(whatever you want), my best bet would be for you to try switching the xep to a dynamic ip then try try to find it.

Thought maybe there was an issue with my work laptop I was using. So I used an old desktop I had. It's running ME but works fine. Checked the ip and set it to 192.168.0.102. Ping the XEP at 192.168.0.251 and get "request timed out". I'm just about to give up!

OK, basics. What lights are supposed to be on? Ive got the small light next to the power port and the gree light blinks on the ethernet port. Any others?

Thought maybe there was an issue with my work laptop I was using. So I used an old desktop I had. It's running ME but works fine. Checked the ip and set it to 192.168.0.102. Ping the XEP at 192.168.0.251 and get "request timed out". I'm just about to give up!

Direct connected with a crossover and the XEP jumpered to static IP?

Did you try the Find button in ElkRP while connected with a crossover? Also you could just install Wireshark, with the crossover connected and run a trace. Any IP address that is not your PC is the XEP. If you are seeing a blinking green light it is sending traffic.

As far as lights go I have a solid orange light on the board itself, and on the RJ connector a solid yellow indicating a connection and blinking green light indicating traffic.

Back