Can't update M1-XEP

gcimmino

Howdy folks. I sucessfully updated the home M1 system with XEP and other peripherals. Now I'm at our place in the midwest and trying to bring everything here up to date -- mostly so I can take advantage of the new NTP client in the XEP.

I updated the M1G to 4.5.4, enrolled everything, sent all the programming and sucessfully updated the attached KP and XSP.

However the XEP doesn't want to update. It has 1.1.4 bootware already and 1.2.8 firmware. I'm trying to update to 1.2.12. Four times I start the update then after a few minutes get the "failed to update" pop up.

Since I'm able to update the M1 and other peripherals, I'm not suspecting a communications issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Make sure you have all the ports opened on your router. Check the documentation for the list of ports that need to be open for updating the M1XEP.

Spanky, thanks for the note.

Well, I haven't touched the router config since it was installed over two years ago. I've pasted a copy of the forwarding and, per the docs, 21, 26, 80 and 2601 are all opened to the outside via port forwarding.

That said, I changed the config in RP to point to the local LAN IP and the update worked just fine.

Any thoughts on why that might be?

Attachments

• router.jpg
    router.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 12
[http://www.ntp.org/s2] worked for me. It seems to take a while to load.

My appologies. Looks like it is a redirect to the longer URL that I posted. Perhaps depending on load the time to display exceeds the browser's timeout.

That said, I changed the config in RP to point to the local LAN IP and the update worked just fine.
Is the IP address in your screen shot for the open ports the IP address for your router? Also, in RP you put your local router IP on the main page in System URL/IP above port 2601? Thanks.

Is the IP address in your screen shot for the open ports the IP address for your router? Also, in RP you put your local router IP on the main page in System URL/IP above port 2601? Thanks.

The IPs in the screen shot are the LAN (Local) IPs of the devices on my network. That screen is how I allow external ports to map to ports on specific local devices.

Yes, when it worked I put the local IP of the XEP, 192.168.1.49, into RP. When I put the DynDns domain name into RP, I can connect to the XEP just fine and updated the other devices firmware, but just not the XEP's firmware itself.

I'm stuck for now. I can't get ELKRP to find the XEP. I've done a bus module enrollment from the keypad. Setting a static IP address doesn't work. Using a crossover cable to my laptop doesn't work. I have all of the ports open and enabled on my router. What am I doing wrong?

Edit:

No need to respond. The M1XEP is on its way back to ELK.

Spanky, thanks for the note.

Well, I haven't touched the router config since it was installed over two years ago. I've pasted a copy of the forwarding and, per the docs, 21, 26, 80 and 2601 are all opened to the outside via port forwarding.

Any thoughts on why that might be?

I had the same problem when I attempted the upgrade. It seemed to be related to the fact that the firmware upgrade process for the M1XEP uses FTP to transfer the image, and this failed for me as my router didn't proxy the FTP PORT commands correctly through the NAT for the data connection. I sure wish it just used HTTP to avoid this issue entirely.

I ended up putting both on the same LAN for the upgrade.

Latest update. I received the repaired XEP from ELK. Installation took all of 30 seconds and everything works perfectly. Thanks to Brad Weeks and the ELK staff.

[http://www.ntp.org/s2] worked for me. It seems to take a while to load.

In ElkRP can't seem to get the update time to stick, it keeps reseting to 12:00AM. Anyone else seeing that. I was trying to take heed of the advice on the ElkRP config screen that says to update at a time when you don't expect to be firing any rules.

Back