Ceiling Fan control, etc

ckg1999

All, I have an OmniPro IIe, with Zwave and UPB.  

I would like to add control to my ceiling fans and two sets of lights  The switches I current have are:
http://www.hunterfan.com/Products/Accessories/Ceiling-Fans/Controls/All-Fan-Light-Dual-Slide-Control-27182/
http://www.smarthome.com/6613WH/Lutron-MA-L3L3-WH-Maestro-300-Watt-Dual-Dimmer-Switch-White/p.aspx
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lutron-maestro-1-a-multi-location-7-speed-combination-fan-and-light-control-white-ma-lfqhw-wh.html#.USPJfaVQG68

What have some of you used to accomplish?

Also would like to control the lights using a Logitech Harmony remote (if possible).

Thanks all for the help!

I use a Leviton VRF01 to control a fan using the VRC0P attached to my OmniPro. It works pretty well. The only potential problem for you is this switch does not have light control so if your fan also has a light on it, you will need to use a separate switch for the light. May be a problem if all you have now is a single gang wall box.

I have a three-gange box.  two switches are the double fan/light and the other a three-way.  I was wondering if inline UPB dimmers would work best.  Not sure the best way to approach this...

My initial thoughts are:
(2) UPB in-line dimming modules (like the SA-UFD30)
(1) HAI Scene switch (like HAI-38A00-1) - also because it has IR and I can control from remote

Unsure of how to control ceiling fan with either ZWave or UPB

You don't want to be using a conventional dimmer on a fan motor, you will get hum from the motor or worse, some damage. The VRF01 was the only one I could find out there that allowed me to control it remotely AND vary the fan speed. You can get a simple UPB on/off switch (not a dimmer) but then you lose fan speed control.

There should be a 3-wire going from the ceiling box to your wall switch location. That should be enough to use a fan switch and separate light switch in the 3ga box. There are plenty of UPB capable switches on the market for light control.

swaggy said:
You don't want to be using a conventional dimmer on a fan motor, you will get hum from the motor or worse, some damage. The VRF01 was the only one I could find out there that allowed me to control it remotely AND vary the fan speed. You can get a simple UPB on/off switch (not a dimmer) but then you lose fan speed control.

There should be a 3-wire going from the ceiling box to your wall switch location. That should be enough to use a fan switch and separate light switch in the 3ga box. There are plenty of UPB capable switches on the market for light control.
I second that. NEVER NEVER drive a ceiling fan with a dimmer designed for an incandescent lamp.  At lower speeds, the waveform generated creates more heat in the fan than the fan can cool, and at best it will overheat. At worse, it will catch on fire. 

But if I've already got two switches (one for light, one for fan) I should be okay with a normal switch, right?  Or at least the 15A GE Z-wavers I'm starting to procure?

An on/off switch for light or fan control is ok, you will not be able to adjust the fan speed at the switch (pull chain only if your fan is like that). A dimmer for fan is not ok for reasons cited above.

swaggy said:
An on/off switch for light or fan control is ok, you will not be able to adjust the fan speed at the switch (pull chain only if your fan is like that). A dimmer for fan is not ok for reasons cited above.

Just like it is now.  Thanks :)

All- 

I kept the original switch for the ceiling fan / dimmer.  The WAF got the best of me....

However, I did purchase the following:

-  SA-US22-40 (to control two separate loads in my media rom)
-  HAI-38A00-1 (to control scenes and have control from Harmony remote)

All seems to work great.  

Not sure if this is the right place - How can I deal with UPB links reporting the light status?

With my OPii, I want to be able to adjust the lights using HAIKU if they are on via a link.  Can a UPB link update the OPii to report status?

Back