[CES] 2006 Exclusive Update

BraveSirRobbin

Please read THIS General CES 2006 Update Disclaimer FIRST:

Logitech had a booth at the ZWave display where they were showcasing their ZWave enabled remote.

I spoke with Nathan Papadopulos, Marketing Communications Manager for Logitech (Harmony Remote Controls). (Logitech acquired Harmony Remotes).

Nathan demoed the 890 pro ZWave enabled remote shown below. It can control ZWave devices such as the Intermatic blinds, any ZWave lighting, etc... It can also perform functions for other more common audio video devices.

To setup this remote you establish an online user account. They have a database of 100,000 devices from 3,000 different manufacturers. You are asked how you want to use this device and what components you want to control. You then download these setup/database component scenarios to your remote via the USB dongle (which establishes the interface to your PC).

The remote then automaticlly has activities set up for you (listening to music, watching a DVD) by pushing one button on the remote.

Now with this home automation capability, you can lower the lighting, set the thermostat and other HA tasks to a one button scenario . Presently only ZWave devices are supported.

Here is the unique way this device works. You first go online to setup your audio/video and ZWave enabled home automation components. You then download this information into the remote. Now you are asked to download certain information into an RF to IR bridge unit (shown below) which is stored behind your audio/video cabinet doors. This bridge unit then has IR transmitters which blasts the proper IR commands to your audio/video components.

The commands (from the bridge) are triggered by the remote via RF signals. Therefore you don't need to "aim" the remote at your audio/video cabinet as it does not transmit IR, rather it transmits RF to the bridge (and the bridge sends the IR to the components). You can also have multiple bridges in different rooms controlled by one remote control!

Pricing was not disclosed.

Harmony ZWave Enabled Remote:

(Click on Picture for Full Sized Image)

IR to RF Bridge:

(Click on Picture for Full Sized Image)

The CES press release is HERE.

More information can be found at Logitech's site.

Rupp said:
BSR,
Why the disclaimer in each thread?
Wow, you really have to ask? Have you read current threads that get "trashed" down because a user complains that the product is over the $35 currently in his wallet?

I wanted to make it clear that the intent of these updates is to bring a "quick look" of the new technologies displayed at the show and didn't want the threads exposed to off topic bashing that can exist when one does not see the "entire picture".

Also, a lot of this information was gathered and posted very quickly and I want to make it clear that mistakes may exist in the threads.

Sorry, I'm guilty of price complaining. I just get tighter as I get older. Thanks for the info and all the excellent reporting.

Rupp said:
Sorry, I'm guilty of price complaining. I just get tighter as I get older. Thanks for the info and all the excellent reporting.
Hehe, no single person is to blame and we can certainly post our opinions of price (after all prices are always a BIG factor). I just wanted to expose our membership to these products and concentrate more on their capabilities and what they bring to our hobby! Also remember, a lot of pricing will actually come down in the future as their volume increases and their technologies become more "tuned" for manufacturing. Who ever would have thought that one year after Insteon was displayed at last years CES that they would now be show casing a $20 switch with this technology?

So, I hope nobody feels they can't give their opinion on pricing. Just look at the big picture while you are doing it. :(

Not trying to hijack this thread any more but Hopefully we can all benefit from Insteon switches being $20. This gives the other manufactures/protocols something to look at when pricing their switches. If they want to when the market they will have to offer something competitive.

Thanks BSR for your updates!!!

So...is this like a full/top of the line harmony home entertainment universal remote PLUS zwave control for zwave devices such as lights? I mean, the universal remote aspect isn't hobbled or merely a subset, is it? Hopefully my question makes sense.

tanstaaf1 said:
So...is this like a full/top of the line harmony home entertainment universal remote PLUS zwave control for zwave devices such as lights? I mean, the universal remote aspect isn't hobbled or merely a subset, is it? Hopefully my question makes sense.
Your question makes perfect sense. I really don't know the answer though because I don't know what difference the "IR Bridge" brings into the equation. I would think that this does offer similar features to a regular Harmony though as you can download the configurations/device drivers from their web site.

I can PM you Nathan's Email address if you would like. Please post back any answers you get on this question!

I have the Harmony 880 and have been real happy with it. My wife as well, after trying various others over the years, including the pronto. Her comment was 'this is the way it should be, why did it take so long?".

On the price, I'm actually pleased I thought an earlier release put the price much higher. I have to say that the started macros and such can take some time (seconds) depending on what is being controlled which if you are holding it in your hand it is quite natural to not want to keep pointing it at the equipment. If I were to buy another one I would get this one. The backlighting of the hard keys on the bottom is new as well.

Even at this price, they are still far cheaper than some of the others that I considered 'competitors'. The programming is easy too, I had mine setup overnight and the wife was using it in the morning. I spent much, much, much more time customizing the pronto and still didn't quite get it right. That and I found that it is my preference to use screens to display the dynamic information for customization, but hard buttons for control are ideal.

Mike said:
I have to say that the started macros and such can take some time (seconds) depending on what is being controlled which if you are holding it in your hand it is quite natural to not want to keep pointing it at the equipment.
Hi Mike;

I "think" (again, remember I saw a LOT of demos at CES) that one of the advantages this remote had over others is because it was an RF signal coming from the remote to the "bridge", you could push one of those "complex setup" buttons and then just set the remote down on the table. You don't need to hold it pointing at the equipment!

Again, verify this information before you purchase this!

BSR

That was exactly where I was going, and it makes perfect sense (I realize I didn't make that quite clear). I would expect the same (my comment was for the IR one) and while I don't think I would use this remote in multiple rooms (in my setup), the RF feature for just this purpose would be worth it.

It is the one thing that 'needed improvement' as if you do move it, your equipment may not be setup in the right modes.

Just FYI, I believe that the Harmony 890 is an upgrade from the 880--it offers Z-Wave in addition to a full breadth of simple control options.

Chris

As in an 880 with RF/Z-wave, that is what I assumed as well.

If it truly were an upgrade to the 880 (as in add-on) it would be interesting (from the selfish perspective of having an 880...).

I also have the 880. It does feel unnatural to hold the remote at the entertainment center until all the IR signals have been send, which in some cases can take 5 seconds, maybe more.

Hopefully they fixed the cradle contact issues of the 880 too. I can't tell you how many times I've put it in the cradle to found out the next day that it didn't charge.

The 880's buttons are also a little flemsy and it doesn't respond as quickly as an OEM remote (even after tedious trial and error modifications). In any case I hope th 890 has addressed some of these issues.

B) and no Insteon support.

Has anyone seen any kind of upgrade prices from the 880 to 890? Seems unlikely but I have to ask.

Johnny

Remember the 890 is a different animal from the 880 as it incorporates "RF" to a receiver (located behind your cabinets), then that receiver sends the IR to the components. This way you can just press a button and lay it down on the table (i.e. don't have to hold and aim a "line of site" IR transmitter for many seconds).

Back