Chief Architech plug and secret

ver0776

I just have to plug Chief Architect for their awesome demo. This link will show you everything that can be done with Chief Architect X, which basically is showing you what is state-of-the-art in the field of 3D design. But this series of videos is more than that, it is a fine example of high-tech, clean, media-based web presentation. But it is more than that still, this demo is so well laid out and informative, you would be able to start using their software out of the box and use about every feature quick and like a pro just from this one link... It is a big demo, but it is laid out so nicely, you can watch a few minutes worth and pick up later or skip subjects, etc.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/scripts/flas...imatedtour.html

Ok, so you love it, but it is just too much for you... Presto! This company makes a scaled down version of this software you can get for between $100 & $150 under the Better Homes and Gardens label:
http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/
The products on this page have video demos too.

I have used both of these programs to design the graphics for my house in my vCrib setup. Unfortunately I have only used older versions or demos and had no training at the time. My house is also semi-complex split level design that gave me some trouble, but I highly recommend these products.

Enjoy the content and hope it inspires a few people to upgrade their floorplans =)

Vaughn

Amazon currently has the Better Homes and Gardens Deluxe version for $109 with a $30 rebate - pretty reasonable. :rolleyes:

My wife "built" our home in the BHaG version and she likes the ease of use and learning curve quite a bit. The only caveat is the 3-D rendering is verrrrrry slow. Walk throughs are not practical (and I have a speedy computer and good graphics card). I think the algorithm is to blame. It seems as if every vertex, visible or not, gets rendered with each move of the camera.

Thanks for posting this. It really is nice looking software. I forwarded to my father who does a lot of side jobs such as decks and sheds and he is also building a house right now.

I just spoke with Chief Architect sales. To do what I want to do, simple High Voltage, HVAC, and Low Voltage layout, I would have to buy their full blown X1 software to the tune of $2100. None of their other lesser products will do even those simple layouts.

I just spoke with Chief Architect sales. To do what I want to do, simple High Voltage, HVAC, and Low Voltage layout, I would have to buy their full blown X1 software to the tune of $2100. None of their other lesser products will do even those simple layouts.

I look at a product like this to do floorplans, and not necessarily electrical architecture.
SketchUp from Google does this free.

I originally designed my home using Chief Architect. I was dismayed that their v5 broke backwards compatibility so my original plans can't be imported. I then purchased Punch Home Architect and have pretty much redrawn the plan, just not to the level of detail the original one was.

To do what I want to do, simple High Voltage, HVAC, and Low Voltage layout,
Can't you do this with Visio? It is on my to-do list and I was planning on using Visio. Now I realize that Visio is inferior for the whole home & design visualization process, but I mostly just want to document what we already have.

Regarding Cumulate Draw: I just found that the native file format (fmd) is just SVG, so this can be edited with my fav app, Inkscape. Much quicker editing.

As a developer who uses floorplan in software, the most important thing to me is exportability. I need standard CAD type formats so I can import into 3D worlds, X3D, TurnTool, SL and other options that may offer new interfaces for me.

As of right now my X3D app crashes trying to import the CAD output from my BHaG/CA design tool =( I see the wireframe, but wonder if it is some object textures or something.

Vaughn

Back