Complete Newbie needs help

You may want to consider a hardware router/firewall also such as a Linksys and don't depend on Zone Alarm. Let us know if you need further help on this.

Don,

In your router configuration menu, look to see if your WAN address is set to DHCP. If it is, your ISP assigns your IP dynamically. As mentioned earlier in the thread, there are a couple free services out there that will use dynamic DNS to allow you to have a “permanent†IP even if dynamically assigned.

--Jamie

jwilson56 said:
Good luck starting down the home automation road. You will soon find your totally addicted and are spending time and money you never thought you would on this new hobby.

John
Amen to that. In my 5 month Home Automation journey, I have exceeded my initial money and time budget at least a factor of 10.

A plan for a "few cheap x10 switches installed over the weekend" has transformed into into a full Insteon household, new alarm system, whole-house audio, dedicated HA/bedroom PC with wall mounted touchscreen, dedicated smart closet and 5 camera video surveillance system. :blink:

Regarding reliability, I would agree to go with the higher quality x10 or go right to Insteon (using their x10 functionality until Insteon-compatible software comes to fruition). I'm finally replacing the last of my x10-brand modules with Insteon this week.

jwilson56 said:
Just wish Insteon had a two wire (no neutral) switch....

Stuck in an old house...

John
John, 1/2 my house was built in 1950, the other 1/2 in 1985. I've had to run nuetral wires or completely new electrical to several of my switches (mainly in the older sections) to accomodate my Insteon network. You can feed off of any neutral wire at a nearby outlet/light socket/etc, preferably on the same circuit. Many 2 or 3 junction switches usually have a neutral octopus also.

If your not comfortable doing your own electrical (make sure you understand what your doing, local code, etc and be safe!), have you tried getting an estimate from a local electrician?

Well as we are not staying here in this house past more 6 years I really don't want to sink that kind of money to re-wire it....

John

Since Insteon-PLC won't work without a neutral, SmartHome could always market a two-wire switch that communicated with Insteon-RF.

Not being a computer guru, working with static, dynamic IP's, forwarding, etc, is quite a challenge although I am sure that is where the issue lies.

Anyone know of a good website that explains in simple terms how to set up a static IP for one pc inside the firewall where the router uses dynamic IP's?

don

Anyone know of a good website that explains in simple terms how to set up a static IP for one pc inside the firewall where the router uses dynamic IP's?

There's really no such thing, unless I'm misunderstanding you. You will be using NAT, so to the outside world, you only have one address. You can use port forwarding to open up a particular port, but they all look like they are coming from the same address.

You do want the port forwarding to continue working even if the DHCP lease changes for some reason, so you might want to give an internal fixed address to the machine you are forwarding to, since you usually do the forwarding by using the internal address of the machine you are forwarding to.

But the internal addresses really don't mean anythign to the outside world. And if you disconnect and reconnect to your ISP, and get a new address, then our address to the outside world will change. So you would need to use something like DynamicDNS (and there are some companies that provide that service), so that your router can update your entry with their dynamic DNS service any time your external address changes. It's not a real domain name, but it works the same and poeple can do DNS lookups on the name and get your current dynamic address.

AutomatedOutlet said:
Look for RF based Insteon switches next year....
Any idea when Smarthome Manager V2 will be out? Site states "September", but the month is almost over and it's still not out...I'm really itching to be able to use my Insteon Powerlinc V2!

I have tried lots of things and I simply can’t get access to HS from the Internet. I believe the problem is that I must not understand IP’s and how to set them properly. I thought I would try to outline the steps that I believe are necessary so even a novice like me can understand. I have an SMVBR7004 router and an XP based PC.

1. Change my PC from a dynamic IP to a static IP.
2. Create port forwarding in the router setup to point to the static port running HS.
3. Create an account with a Dynamic DNS service and give a friendly name to my static IP name so that when the router sees it from the Internet, it will allow it in and point it to the PC.

Have I covered everything..........or am I all wet? I appreciate your thoughts………

Don

Don,
Before complicating issues using a Dynamic DNS service you need to first get the ipaddress connecting. To connect to you HS pc all you need is :
- The ipaddress of your router.
- Then in the browser you should be able to key in the ipaddress of your router along with the port that your router is using to direct traffic to you HS pc. Like http://12.234.56.45:88 This tells the router to "look" at port 88 and see what this maps to on your LAN (your HS pc). Which is probably something like 192.168.0.101.

I don't have homeseer (yet), but if I hear this right, you may want to test connectivity with another computer in the house that has HS. This is just to make sure it should work (as it simpler on your lan than coming from the outside).

This way if there is some simpler local issue you can resolve that before trying for the more complicated testing.

The other thing to check is some ISP's try to block your ability to run a web server. I'm not sure if this is on port 80, or something else like the earlier example. There are web-relay services to get around this, but it should be as easy as using a port that is not blocked in this manner.

Hope this helps.

Back