Connecting for wires to PIR with tamper connectors

gasbie

Hello All,
I'm kinda confused right now. I want to connect my new PIR motion detectors to the ELK M1 gold, however the motion detectors has a tampered contact on it. I will be connecting the PIR to the panel with 4 wires conductors. this is what the PIR has (+ - NC C T T). so i know + and - is for the power. can i connect the yellow from the zone on the panel to the tamper connector on the PIR, the the green wire from the common leg on the panel to C on the PIR, then jump the other T to NC with a 2.2k ohm resistor? does this make sense? Can someone look at the two picture I attached. Which wiring diagram is correct? Thanks

Attachments

• pir wiring.png
    pir wiring.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 42
Assuming this motion detector is for a residence and not a warehouse, using the tamper connection will not gain you much of anything.  The tamper is designed to be used with a separate zone which is monitored 24/7.

Lets say this sensor is in a business, and the owner wants to make sure a dishonest employee doesn't open the motion sensor to bypass in during the day, then rob the place at night.  If the motion sensor used the tamper, and it was hooked to a 24/7 zone, opening the case would trigger some warning or alarm.

It rally has no use in a home alarm, especially wired the way you are talking. Your just adding in another source of a false alarm.

Thanks for your quick response. No, this is for residential. If you were to make the connection with EOL, how would you connect it?

ano said:
Assuming this motion detector is for a residence and not a warehouse, using the tamper connection will not gain you much of anything.  The tamper is designed to be used with a separate zone which is monitored 24/7.

Lets say this sensor is in a business, and the owner wants to make sure a dishonest employee doesn't open the motion sensor to bypass in during the day, then rob the place at night.  If the motion sensor used the tamper, and it was hooked to a 24/7 zone, opening the case would trigger some warning or alarm.

It rally has no use in a home alarm, especially wired the way you are talking. Your just adding in another source of a false alarm.

Ok, forget about those Tamper connections. so does the 2.2 ohm resistor connects to the wire going to C or NC terminal block?

Actually, assuming a single detector/zone (a best practice irregardless) I would wire the detectors as 3 wire and install the EOLR between C and the - on the detector. One less splice and fully supervised.

If you truly want to wire as 4 wire, then I'd use one of the tamper terminals to make the splice and then install the other leg of the resistor to the relay.

But people are telling me to ignore the Tamper connector if I'm wiring for residential. I will like if there is a standard way to wire four conductors and a EOL to motion PIR. Thanks

ok. I have finally wired up the motion PIR, does this looks ok?

Attachments

• PIR EOL1.JPG
    PIR EOL1.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 14
gasbie said:
But people are telling me to ignore the Tamper connector if I'm wiring for residential. I will like if there is a standard way to wire four conductors and a EOL to motion PIR. Thanks
Del was not telling you to use the tamper, but just to use the tamper terminal as a type of splice. So in your case, connect the white wire and the EOL resistor in the SAME tamper terminal.  That way you have the tamper bypassed.  So move the white wire from one tamper terminal to the other.

The temper switch just opens when you open the motion detector case. For a home motion detector with a single zone, it doesn't have much use. 

Thanks Ano,
so for home use, I can jus ingnore the Tamper then. so the Red wire goes to +, black white goes to -, green goes to NC and white has 2.2 ohm resistor attached to it and the leg of the resistor goes to C. Is this sufficient for a residential wiring?

ano said:
Del was not telling you to use the tamper, but just to use the tamper terminal as a type of splice. So in your case, connect the white wire and the EOL resistor in the SAME tamper terminal.  That way you have the tamper bypassed.  So move the white wire from one tamper terminal to the other.

The temper switch just opens when you open the motion detector case. For a home motion detector with a single zone, it doesn't have much use. 

so some of my other PIR are wired like the one below, will the picture below detect if there is a nick on the wire?

Attachments

• PIR EOL2.JPG
    PIR EOL2.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 30
You would land the EOLR and the YELLOW conductor under the same T terminal to negate the tamper. Realistically, it's unnecessary in residential 99% of the time.

You will only monitor 3 states, open, short or EOLR. It may or may not detect a wiring fault, depending on the type.

Back