• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Connecting PC to TR-16 for programming

mishab

Hi. One more thing related to my previous posts to TR-16 troubles.
Here is what I have:
- Elk M1 Gold
- Serial Expander
- RS TR-16 thermostat with rs485 thermostat
- rs323 to rs422 converter.

here is what need to do:
- connect pc to tr-16 and have the memory cleared.

Apparently I cant use my rs323 -> rs422 converter.
- Is rs422 and rs485 protocols compatible? Reference

- Can I use M1 Lighting / Thermostat Interface &.Serial Port Expander to connect my pc to TR-16?

- Do I need to buy ELK RS-232 to RS-485 Data Converter ?

- Can I just get something like this? Non-Powered RS 232 / RS 485 Interface Converter

I would appreciate help as soon as possible.

Thanks

noshali

mishab said:
- Can I use M1 Lighting / Thermostat Interface &.Serial Port Expander to connect my pc to TR-16?
You can use the serial port expander to connect to elk. I don't know how you can clear the memory. I have a tr16 connected to the elk using the rs485 and a serial port expander.

regards,

mishab

I am having issues with connecting TR-16 to my PC using the expander.
When I conenct my null cable to the expander and connect hyper terminal i see lines showing up on the screen.
i do not know what commands are being broadcased and who is broadcasting.
also the rcs technical support just emailed me that there is no way to reset the tr-16. i will need to understand what is stored in memory and clear it.

anyone. please.

bmil

FYI, don't forget, if you want to send native RCS commands to the TR-16 using the M1 and XSP serial expander you have to configure it as a serial port, not a thermostat interface. Configured as a tstat interface it will not pass text strings from M1 rules to the TR-16.

mishab, just re-read your last post and realized it sounds like you might be trying to use the XSP serial expander/tstat interface without the M1, i.e. PC -> XSP -> TR-16. I don't know if that's possible as the XSP would only react to M1 formatted commands through their RS-485 interface. If you want the TR-16 to do things that are not covered by the actions available from M1 rules then you have to configure the XSP as a serial port expander, connect the TR-16 to the XSP, connect the XSP to the M1, connect PC to the M1 and send RCS native commands as text strings from M1 rules.

I apologize if I have misunderstood what you're trying to do...