Tried Downgrading OMNI PRO II 3.2d returned to 4.0b No PC Access Ethernet or Serial

I started having ALC Communication failures in 2019 (posted issue on forum here but was never addressed) after adding IP Cameras, but I attributed to Charter VoIP Telephone Line that kept going down due to coincidental  phone service outages (after updating FW to 4.0B). In reality I had added IP cameras to the Network which began the increased IP traffic.

The incidence of ALC Communication failures started occurring monthly, until I got rid of Charter TV and put AT&T TV Streaming box on the LAN, and ALC lighting control failures now almost occurred daily (I thought it might have been ALC Board, and I actually put O-Scope and did some comparisons when worked vs when it was down). I pulled the board, re-seated the IC Controller chip (all HAI connectors and sockets are tin plated not gold).

Again, I never thought about IP Traffic until @pete_c mentioned IP Flooding issue causing problems with Serial bus communication (then it hit me, why incidence of failures increased from a rare event, to monthly to weekly, and finally daily).

Since resolving my Controller issues caused by troubleshooting, and keeping Ethernet disconnected (my travel router comes today, but won't have time until weekend to address), ALC is working reliably. I have my old Serial Link connected to controller from my Office, which I haven't used in years. I had my UPB Serial Adapter connected to docking station serial port, but was happy to see my serial adapter and CAT5e cable to controller was sitting way back, unused for years (until now).

Will be glad to have HAIKU and Ethernet Access again, so I can control lighting from my phone.

Haiku is running so badly for me.  I run myro home on my phones but my ipads are old and built in to the wall - so I am stuck using it there for some time....

pete_c said:
To do as little as possible to the microrouter.  That said if it is the same subnet than change it by one octet.  IE: if you regular subnet is 192.168.0.x then change the LAN subnet of the microrouter to 192.168.1.X.  I didn't mention this because I assumed it would be a different subnet.

It doesn't matter much on the LAN side what the subnet is as the OP2 doesn't do DHCP.  All you have to do is assign it an IP on the LAN side of the router.

Then change the WAN IP to the old OP2 LAN address such that you do not need to change any OP2 networked devices.

Just pass port 80, 22 and 4369 from the WAN to the LAN side in the firewall rules.

Port 80 is to get to the web interface of the microrouter
Port 22 is to be able to SSH to the router LAN side
Port 4369 is for the OP2 panel access.
Hi Pete,

Just got a chance to start setting up GL-iNet Router. If I recall it is recommended to use OpenWRT  firmware (it seems it will be easier to setup LAN side for FIXED IP and port forwarding). 

Looks like this Router has a FW based on OpenWRT. Guess its a basic version from factory.

When you tested this router did you use Downloaded OpenWRT firmware or the stock firmware (it is doable with stock but based on MAC Address for Port Forward and not Fixed IP).

Just looking for feedback for best approach, so I don't do this twice.  Controller has been operating flawlessly for a week since I took it off network.

-Bob

When you tested this router did you use Downloaded OpenWRT firmware or the stock firmware (it is doable with stock but based on MAC Address for Port Forward and not Fixed IP).

No originally I kept the stop easey pictures GUI and the advanced OpenWRT build OS on it.

Don't use the easy peasey icons way...go to advanced OpenWRT interface on it.

I have been able to update it with latest version of OpenWRT...once you do that though you lose the basic GUI.

The old and new OpenWRT OS always let you port forward anything anyway.  It was never crippled.

The built in GUI is very limited and simple and won't let you do much of anything.

Hi @Pete_c

I found MAC address on one of my old FING scans on iOS 10 iPad, so I just went ahead and binded (With ALC & Expansion Zone I couldn't see MAC Address label).

I did update the stock Open-WRT, and Firewall settings in GUI.

ROOT access has changed a lot since I worked with OpenWRT a few years ago.  I did open Port 80 on GL-iNet (System-wide, could have just port forward to Gateway IP). and then was able to reach router using old Omni II IP address on original LAN

advanced OpenWRT interface Firewall reflects changes made in GUI (that's a good thing) .

I was able to set 4369 to specif Address on new LAN.

Also Was able to forward Port 22 & 80 to router (and was able to reach Router from different computer using old OMNI II LAN IP Address).

I don't see any reason to leave the LINK to this Router from TP-LINK L2 Switch at 1/2 Duplex since there will only be 1 connection on DMZ side of GL-iNet.I will later upload Screen Shot of GL-iNet "easy peasey" Firewall.

I need to review how to disable IPV6, shows enabled in Firewall Traffic Rules.

Need to work on this some more later, work is stacking up!

Thank you for your feedback! Will keep you posted!

-Bob

Here I just expanded the base workspace on the Nexx router to 32Gb.  Installed MQTT and Python3 on it. OpenWrt today is levels beyond what DDWRT used to be.
It is more than a firewall these days.  It is an OS.  IE: The Almond plus is based on OpenWRT and another smart hub is also based on OpenWRT.

Geez I should put the small Almond plus inside of the OP2 can and use the LCD display to show continuous stats.

What you want to do is change the IP of the OP2 panel to reflect an IP on the LAN interface of the router and statically assign the WAN to the old IP of the OP2 panel.

This way all of your OP2 connected LAN devices do not need to change configuration to the OP2 LAN address.

That and since the firewall is inside of your lan you do not have to worry about an internet intrusion. 

That said you can just put the new LAN IP of the new micro firewall inside of a DMZ instead of creating rules for port x, y and z.

I did not change the physical LAN port speed.  You do not need to.  Watch the graphs of traffic on the LAN side and you will not see much traffic. (L3 to L2 stuff).

The auto connection on the LAN side is 10Mbs 1/2 duplex.  Looking at the ports status right now see that the main eth0 is a Gb interface...but I have it plugged it to a 100Mbs POE mini switch in my Leviton 42" media panel.  

Just purchased a new GLiNet microrouter a couple of weeks back for another project.  First thing I did was upgrade the OpenWRT on it.  That wiped out the GLiNet gui on it which I did not care for.  

GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless Mini Portable Travel Router for $19.90.

I have these installed in two automobiles which connect to the internet and are running a custom KODI (on Linux) with connectivity to the bus and ODBII.

The Kodi interface is just another menu option on the HU.

pete_c said:
Just purchased a new GLiNet microrouter a couple of weeks back for another project.  First thing I did was upgrade the OpenWRT on it.  That wiped out the GLiNet gui on it which I did not care for.  

GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless Mini Portable Travel Router for $19.90.

I have these installed in two automobiles which connect to the internet and are running a custom KODI (on Linux) with connectivity to the bus and ODBII.

The Kodi interface is just another menu option on the HU.

Hi @Pete_c

Strange thing has happened with GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2, it seems to have stopped port forwarding. I rebooted and pulled power (manual power cycle). I can access GL-MT300N-V2 on LA , and don't see any changes to Port Forwards in Firewall (WRT), looks like something has failed. When I get a chance I'll swap HAI and plug in laptop to see if I can get Internet. PC-ACCESS won't connect (SPACE and SNAPLINK started having connection issues early in the week).

Very Strange!

Hope this finds you well!

-Bob

31 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 96% packet loss

38 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Not looking good

Well then that is your OmniPro Ethernet interface.  

Next power down and disconnect the battery from your OmniPro panel.  

After power up test the ping from the router to the Ethernet interface.  If it works you are OK. (for now)

If it doesn't work then maybe your OmniPro Ethernet interface / Ethernet chip went bad.   

See too if the OmniPro 2 Ethernet port is loosey goosey moving it a bit while doing a ping.

If it is then it might be a broken wire that is soldered on the Omnipro 2 panel board.  Only way to see it though would be to remove the board from the can and look at it with a flashlight when you move the plastic NIC port.

If it the Ethernet chip is bad then I believe you can send it to Leviton for repair.

Here still using same micro router as previously documented with my OmniPro 2 panel. 

The panel sits about 3 feet from a copper water pipe in the basement which I am using for a ground for the panel.

Paranoid about lightning. A lightning strike burned up my outdoor AC compressor one day a few years back.

It was just a melted pile of metal in the morning after the lightning strike.

Well, I'm a little embarrassed!

I updated my business router a week ago Saturday, and recalled a couple of days ago that's about when this started happening.  I failed to reboot all network switches to refresh routing maps, and went and did a System Reset on the OMNI II Smart House.

iPhone started connecting to HAI, but I had to use ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew on my computer (so I didn't have to wait for a reboot). After updating router I was called away, so I failed to remember reboot everything on the network.

Hope that's all it was, refreshing Routing Tables.

-Bob

LQtechvn said:
if you downgrade, the controller's IP going to return to default: 192.168.0.101 
Turned out to be a simple step of forgetting to refresh network routing tables, after updating router.  All is working fine now! Thanks for reply!

-Bob

Back