Connecting to Networx nx-8v2 via modem

JVR

Hello everyone,

The same old story:
I've bought a house with an nx-8V2 and I am looking for the codes.
The previous owner gave me the arm/disarm codes and some documentation but nothing else.
Now I am looking for the programming code since I want to add some smoke detectors.

The system was connected via a landline to the alarm company.

I've tried directly connecting to the panel via modem using the resistor trick.
I am using a recommended modem (US robotics 56k) and the dl900 software version 3.04
When the modem dials the panel I can hear it dialing and ringing.
After pressing *99 on the keypad to connect I hear some data being transmitted and the ringing stopts but the software stays offline until I get an error message saying it can't connect.

When I triggerd an event (disconnected the emergency battery) and opened the line via callback => answer now, it briefly connected  following with the error message "error writing data to module 0.....0".
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FY8G1rLvq565jwELA

From what I've read it should be possible to directly connect to the panel using a modem.
Are there some stepts I am missing for getting a connection?

Sincerely,
Jonas

You can connect via a serial port.  Look up my handle for NX8e posts on how to do this.  Going from memory (a loooong ways back) you will need a cable that plugs to I believe three or four pins on the board, which goes to a nine pin D connector.  You will also need the DL-900 software with the correct settings to connect to the serial port.

If your computer doesn't have a serial port you will need a USB to serial adapter.

This is assuming that you have the administrator's code. 

You can do programming via the keypad as well.  Have you tried getting into the programming section with your admin code?

I don't believe the NX-8v2 has a serial port interface.

I used the NX-587E to use the DLX-900 software.  The NX-587E has a serial port so you would need a USB to serial adapter if you computer doesn't have a serial port.  Then there are three alligator clips that connect to the panel.  Then you start the software and tell it to connect via 587 and you're in the panel.

JVR said:
I've bought a house with an nx-8V2 and I am looking for the codes.

The previous owner gave me the arm/disarm codes and some documentation but nothing else.
Now I am looking for the programming code since I want to add some smoke detectors.
If you don't have the installer/programming code, there is not much you can do.  It might still be set to the default code, but if the system was installed by an alarm company, it's likely that it was changed.  Sometimes, alarm companies use the last 4 digits of their phone number as the code.  Or your street house number.   Sometimes it might be written on the wall near the panel or inside the enclosure.

lanbrown said:
I don't believe the NX-8v2 has a serial port interface.

I used the NX-587E to use the DLX-900 software.  The NX-587E has a serial port so you would need a USB to serial adapter if you computer doesn't have a serial port.  Then there are three alligator clips that connect to the panel.  Then you start the software and tell it to connect via 587 and you're in the panel.

Ah, i didn't realize that...I had an NX8e in the past and that had the serial port built into the card.

As all posts stated above, see if you can enter the installer code via the keypad first as without it you will probably not be able to modify the panel to connect.

Found the manual here BTW.

https://static.interlogix.com/library/I-NX8V2-IM%20REV%20H%20Installation%20Manual.pdf

BraveSirRobbin said:
Ah, i didn't realize that...I had an NX8e in the past and that had the serial port built into the card.

That was one of the additions to the NX-8E over the previous models.  All other systems you would need to use the NX-584E serial card to add a serial port.  If all you want to use is the DLX900 software, the NX587E or NX-586E can provide that temporarily.  They use alligator connectors, so it wouldn't be a permanent install.  The difference between them is USB vs Serial but there are no 64-bit drivers or for newer version of Windows, so the USB variant is well, useless to many.

I've tried every possible code I can think of but had no luck.
I've even contacted the alarm company and they gave me a code, that did not work, or the option they reset the code.
For this service I need to pay €45 + TAX in front and they will see if it is possible to call in to the panel and reset the code/panel.
Since there is no longer a landline this is not an option.

When you use the NX587E or NX-586E you need a code to acces the panel.

There are 2 options that I know of to connect to the panel without the codes.

A: Use the NX587E or NX-586E and a second panel.

I can't do this since I don't have a second panel or the NX587E / NX-586E.

B: Connet directly via modem to the panel as discribed in the dl900 software manual.

(I can't post a link to this site but when you search for "interlogix download library dl900 manual" you can download the pdf)

As stated in the first post I can call in to the panel and hear data being sent from the panel to the modem but can't get a connection.
When triggering an event and opening the phone line there is some data recieved by dl900 but I still can't acces the panel (see photo in my first post).
I think the problem is that some settings are not correct in dl900.
If anyone has any experience using a modem to connect to the panel and can give me the correct settings or some tips to connect to the panel it would be of great help.

Back