Considering OpenHAB any other contenders?

roussell said:
More importantly; Javascript != Java...  I love javascript - I don't like Java - they're different animals entirely. I use javascript all the time. :)

Yeah, mis-read your original post. Guess I have Javascript on the brain at the moment

NeverDie said:
Follow-up:  Any final conclusions after looking into OpenHAB for a while now?  http://www.mysensors.org/build/select_controller lists OpenHAB as well as several other alternate "controllers".

I ended up buying RTI (good friend bought it and I was impressed). I really like their remotes and love being able to do everything (Security (DSC), HVAC (NEST), Lights, AV) from a hard button remote (and not having to use a touch device for regular TV/Movie viewing). Nice having a small rack mounted controller with lots of I/O ports and not having to deal with all the windows updates, etc. I've lost a few gimmicky things, but feel I have a much more robust system. Right now I'm using a serial interface to HomeSeer that I wrote to control lights, as the RTI z-wave interface isn't out yet. 

I use RTIPanel for phone and tablet and they have an on-screen option for control via TV coming soon.

The big thing I found severely lacking in everything I looked at was z-wave support (esp. configuration). I guess I never realized how good a job HomeSeer did in that regard.

Mark_anderson_us said:
Right now I'm using a serial interface to HomeSeer that I wrote to control lights...

The big thing I found severely lacking in everything I looked at was z-wave support (esp. configuration). I guess I never realized how good a job HomeSeer did in that regard.
Thanks for the update.  I suspect I'll be doing the same, as I'm not sure how open source will ever be reconciled with the NDA's that developers allegedly have to sign to do z-wave development.  I'm presently using multiple z-trollers through HS2Pro, and it's a big improvement over using just a single z-wave controller.

I have some hope for PiDome (http://pidome.wordpress.com/), which looks promising but is presently an alpha release.  Like OpenHAB, PiDome uses an MQTT Broker.  Do you think MQTT is important for home automation, or not?

Yup; here relating to OpenHAB; only tested it with the Leviton HAI OPII.  One plugin really.  It worked. 

I participated on the develop forum for a bit testing each tweak to then current revision level. 

It still is working mostly but with an older revision level of the base software and plugin.

The above noted OpenHAB did go up a revision level along with an updated Leviton HAI OPII "plugin".

Then silence on the development forum; nada; which I still cannot figure out. 

I did see though that it ready more speedy in Linux than Wintel.  Many folks were also using MACs to test the software.

Z-Wave use was/is relating to : (and continues). 

OpenZWave

Last news here is dated 15th of October, 2014 which isn't that long ago.

pete_c said:
Yup; here relating to OpenHAB; only tested it with the Leviton HAI OPII.  One plugin really.  It worked. 

I participated on the develop forum for a bit testing each tweak to then current revision level. 

It still is working mostly but with an older revision level of the base software and plugin.

The above noted OpenHAB did go up a revision level along with an updated Leviton HAI OPII "plugin".

Then silence on the development forum; nada; which I still cannot figure out. 

I did see though that it ready more speedy in Linux than Wintel.  Many folks were also using MACs to test the software.

Z-Wave use was/is relating to : (and continues). 

OpenZWave

Last news here is dated 15th of October, 2014 which isn't that long ago.
What's your take on MQTT?  Need to have, should have, nice to have, or unimportant?

Need to have, should have, nice to have, or unimportant?

What is MQTT?

MQTT stands for MQ Telemetry Transport. It is a publish/subscribe, extremely simple and lightweight messaging protocol, designed for constrained devices and low-bandwidth, high-latency or unreliable networks. The design principles are to minimise network bandwidth and device resource requirements whilst also attempting to ensure reliability and some degree of assurance of delivery. These principles also turn out to make the protocol ideal of the emerging “machine-to-machine” (M2M) or “Internet of Things” world of connected devices, and for mobile applications where bandwidth and battery power are at a premium.

Personally its nice to have the option as long it its not device obligatory or dependent on it to function.

You know this yourself having grown up watching the evolution of wonderous technology.  You understand it. 

Many folks do not, never will and prefer to just utilize it; sans a nary thought about it. 

Ask a person/stranger on your next walk wherever that may be what the "cloud" is or what the "Internet of Things" is.

But that is me and I am an old school automation curmudgeon these days. 

Well that and I watch folks tethered to their portable devices which mean more to them than any "thing" or person lately and that is scarey to me.

Interesting movie from a while back.  Watch it for its entertainment value. (well if you haven't)

Her

Or even more relevant perhaps (given that we'll probably cruise right by Her on the way to this):

Surrogates

Though Her is an excellent movie as well. I posted on another forum a long list of faux news headlines. One of them was:

"Crowd attacks man without phone, tablet, or earbuds. Witnesses say he spoke to other people"

NeverDie said:
Thanks for the update.  I suspect I'll be doing the same, as I'm not sure how open source will ever be reconciled with the NDA's that developers allegedly have to sign to do z-wave development.  I'm presently using multiple z-trollers through HS2Pro, and it's a big improvement over using just a single z-wave controller.

I have some hope for PiDome (http://pidome.wordpress.com/), which looks promising but is presently an alpha release.  Like OpenHAB, PiDome uses an MQTT Broker.  Do you think MQTT is important for home automation, or not?

Hadn't heard of MQTT before. I use message brokers and q's at work so familiar with the concept. Would be good if there was a standard in HA world (but I guess Apple are about to put the dampers on that :) )

My take is that MQTT is better/faster than a restful HTTP (which is how I previously imagined it would be done), so it's a good thing.  If I started with just websockets, I'd probably have to code up something similar on my own, so if there's an easy-to-use library that's already done it, to me it sounds like a win.  That said, I haven't tried it, and I'm not even sure where I'd start to try it.

Very good movie. 

:rockon:

Yeah haven't followed the OpenHAB stuff now in a few months. 

After reading a bit on the how and what to do with it; got to understand it a bit; which worked for me. 

That said today I like to look at what it is that is out there and what I have and how I do it and how long it took me to get there.

I have settled down to a warm and fuzzy comfort level of my automation.  (I write this but keep looking and playing anyways).

Nice discussion thread, I really enjoyed it. Well, would be great to hear something recent update on OpenRemote Vs OpenHAB from you genius SMEs? I am seeking an open source project that would be the base to start with, willing to extend it towards easy smart HA supporting industrial uses as well. Thinking to add some interesting features/modules. 
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140606073012-18379721-sensing-as-a-service-an-iot-cloud-service

I appreciate a quick response. Thanks

I toyed around with OpenHAB a bit. I've done a lot of linux sysadmin stuff and OpenHAB is definitely not easy to learn. 

As much as I was hoping to like it, I don't. I have a whole new appreciation for CQC now.

Here I was hoping to see about generating some interest in playing a bit with it. 

I used my OmniPro II panel last time as a base for my configuration. 

I tried initially removing everything trying to build it one piece at a time.

My base OS here was using a small Intel Atom based tabletop touchscreen and Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit as I have a few of these around and it will be only in Linux (you can utilize Windows or iOS as it works fine with these OS's too).

Relating to play / automation here will be using all non production stuff leaving my current set up in place.

I have gravitated a bit toward Linux mostly these days. 

I am though playing a bit with Windows 10 using an Intel Baytrail / Multitouch monitor.

Keeping it simple right now mostly to use as a touchscreen interface to my automation. 

I am willing to try here and some sort of base of what would be common to try to use could work. 

My base of automation today / transport is now a few years old.  That said it is Homeseer and the Omnipro 2.

I have in place X10, Insteon, UPB, Z-Wave and Zigbee stuff.  I utilize 1-wire extensively here.  Audio is zoned legacy and works for me using Russound CAA66's.  I do not have Lutron stuff here and my current preference of light switches is UPB.

Just thinking if maybe we could agree on a common interface  / set of rules / hardware we might be able to getting to understand it a bit better.

Here like many Cocoontech users I purchased an Amazon Echo.   I have an Aeon Z-Wave stick and a bunch of Z-Wave devices if folks are interesting in doing a base configuratin here using this. (basically it's up to you guys).

I have been playing with it but not using it if that makes sense?

Over the years I have turned down a bit of the text to speech stuff and never really had much interest in VR although I have played with it since the 1980's.

I do have MS SAPI running these days on Wintel and Linux (Wine) and it does just fine. 

Maybe to keep it really simple start only with the Amazon Echo / OpenHab or whatever generates the most interest here?

BTW here are the OpenHab Repositories on GitHub  ==> OpenHab-on-GitHub

Easy to set up an account on GitHub.

Go here to set up an account == > Join GitHub joingithub.jpg

Current download packages are here:

1 - OpenHab Runtime Core distribution-1.7.1 == > Download
2 - OpenHab addons distribution - 1.7.1 == > Download
3 - OpenHab demo distribution - 1.7.1 ==> Download

This morning copied over the core / addons / demo to one box.  Took 5 minutes.

Note the recent push of OpenHab is to start playing with OpenHab 2.0.  The 1.7.1 addons do work with OpenHab 2.0

OpenHab 2.0.0 alpha2 release is here == > OpenHab2.0

1 - OpenHab Runtime Core distribution-2 == > Download
2 - OpenHab addons distribution - 2 == > Download
3 - OpenHab demo distribution - 2 ==> Download

Started this morning using 1.7 and will switch it later today to 2.0

I will utilize two directories here...one /OpenHab1 and the other will be called /OpenHab2

# ls OpenHab*

OpenHab1:
addons          contexts  LICENSE.TXT  README.TXT  sounds     start_debug.bat  start.sh  workspace
configurations  etc       logs         server      start.bat  start_debug.sh   webapps

OpenHab2:
addons  conf  LICENSE.TXT  README.TXT  runtime  start.bat  start_debug.bat  start_debug.sh  start.sh

Primary OpenHab test box will be Intel Atom based tabletop touchscreen  - will install same on an RPi2 / 16Gb μSD card
Hardware specs for the Atom based computer are: (today it runs Ubuntu, Windows* or Android) * with an EFI boot mod to an '86 Seabios

Intel Poulsbo/US15W mobile chipset.
CPU: 1.3GHz Intel Z520 Single-Core, Hyper-threaded, Atom CPU
Chipset: Intel US15W (400/533MHz FSB)
Graphics: Intel GMA500 (with hardware acceleration for H.264, MPEG2, MPEG4, VC1, WMV9)
Screen: 7in Sharp LQ070Y3LG4A 800x480 LCD, 16m colour (24-bit), LED backlit, capacitative touch-screen
512MB RAM (NOT user upgradable - not easily anyway)
1GB internal filesystems (soldered, non removable)
16GB SSD PATA drive
1MB EFI bootloader and nonvolatile parameters (socketed)
Wired Gigabit Ethernet. Realtek RTL8111C
WiFi B/G/N based on the Ralink RT2870 chipset (connected to the internal USB port).
Power: 5v DC / 1.40A/7.0W full power and 0.14A/0.7W in STANDBY

Intel Box - tabletop capacitance screen tablet - modded add of a 16Gb PATA SSD - no EFI bios changes

#uname -a
Linux ICS-Joggler 3.2.69joggler1 #39 SMP Sat May 23 18:44:46 UTC 2015 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

# java -version
java version "1.8.0_45"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_45-b14)

RPi2 Box

~# uname -a
Linux ICS-RPi2-Zee 3.18.11-v7+ #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

~# java -version
java version "1.8.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-b132)

/OpenHab# ./start.sh
Launching the openHAB runtime...
osgi> 2015-08-14 08:00:18.815 [WARN ] [o.config.core.ConfigDispatcher] - Main openHAB configuration file 'configurations/openhab.cfg' does not exist.
2015-08-14 08:00:18.846 [INFO ] [.o.core.internal.CoreActivator] - openHAB runtime has been started (v1.7.1).
2015-08-14 08:00:23.379 [INFO ] [o.o.i.s.i.DiscoveryServiceImpl] - mDNS service has been started
2015-08-14 08:00:23.596 [INFO ] [o.o.i.s.i.DiscoveryServiceImpl] - Service Discovery initialization completed.
2015-08-14 08:00:31.595 [INFO ] [penhab.io.rest.RESTApplication] - Started REST API at /rest
2015-08-14 08:00:32.310 [INFO ] [c.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Loading model 'demo.sitemap'

Here is the widget gui page.

widgetoverview.jpg

BTW I can move this post is this is not a good place for it. 

Would a blog be better?

Installed OpenHab 2.0 demo on little Intel tabletop.  Very impressed with it.  Here it is running on Firefox on the Intel box as described above.

MainIndexOpenhab2.0.jpg
Paper UI.jpg
restapi.jpg
classicUI.jpg

Updated post above with some screen shots of OpenHab 2.0.  Decided not to play with OpenHab 1.0 as 2.0 is much nicer.

Back