[CONTEST] Member Contest

Treetop

As many of you know, I've been entertaining the idea of getting some contests going, held by the member's themselves. If you've been out of the loop.... Build your own Contest and Prizes?!

My first "contest" is designed to get others involved with the games at hand...

Before I bore you with the "Terms and Conditions", let me start by telling you what you have the chance to win....

A brand new... in an unopened box....

Power Ease Window Blind Controller w/ remote

If you are unsure about this item, here is some great discussion: Automated Blind Control
and a shorter answer: Window Blind Control for Cheap

So what does it take to enter this contest?

Well.... Donate something and hold your own contest!!!!

By entering this contest, you are agreeing to donate something (related to this site: HA, HTPC, PC, etc) in a contest at this site. While you will not be required to send your gear to someone else to hold, your good name will be on the line ;) Honesty is the name of the game.

Even if you dont win, you are still expected to donate something in a future contest. (don't think your off the hook just cause you didn't win this item :) )

There is no post minimum for this contest and it is open to all members and staff of cocoontech. Staff is allowed to enter, as they will not be holding the drawing... and they may have some really good stuff to throw into the mix as well ... well... heres hoping anyways :p

To prevent multiple entries, Cocoontech will be tracking IPs... This shouldn't be a problem, though, as the name of the game is Honesty!

This contest is primarily designed to get other members involved with giving away their stuff to people they dont know :) If we can get 5 people to join in, that will be one contest per month for the rest of the year! If more people join in on the reindeer games, then that means more contests! More free stuff! And most importantly.. More fun!

To enter the contest all you have to do is commit to holding your own contest and post a (family friendly) joke in the thread. Thats all there is to it. If you would like to share what you will be donating in the future, just to get us excited, please feel free.

Hopefully this will entice a lot of folks to hold their own contest... if not, well :(

This contest will close on July 31st (midnight EST). The winner will be selected at random... not based on their joke. Though I do hope that you all can come up with some original (and funny) ones. ;) ;) :p

Have fun, and good luck!

Treetop

Many people expressed support for this type of contest, so I hope there will be some responses as this could be a lot of fun!

I would like to see this contest get off to a great start, so let me try to do it some justice.

Since this is geared towards beginners I would like to donate the following items (all pictured below):

Two X-10 Palm Pad remotes
One X-10 Model LM465 Lamp Module
Two X-10 Model WS467 Light Switches
One X-10 Model MS14A Indoor/Outdoor Motion Detector
One X-10 Model RD110 "In-Line" Dimming Fixture Module (Used for controlling a light that is not switched)
One Male and Female DB-9 Serial to RJ-45 adapters (Used for running serial ports over Cat5 wiring).
Two Five Foot Cat5e Jumpers

I can also throw in an Active Home CD if someone wants it.

Here is one of my favorite jokes:

A doctor, lawyer, and engineer were golfing when they came up to this one hole and saw a bunch of guys wondering around hap-hazardly taking up a lot of time and preventing them from playing the hole.

After complaining to the golf course staff the manager said to please be patient as these were firemen who were blinded when they responded to a fire at the club house, so the management lets them play any time they want for free.

The doctor says, "What a noble gesture, I will dedictate my medical services for free for them".

The lawyer says, "Noble indeed, I will let them use my legal services for free".

The engineer says, "Why can't these guys play at night?!?"

Attachments

• bsrstuff.jpg
    bsrstuff.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 109
me soooo sad :( noone wants to play...

Just so everyone knows... you dont have to be like the big-baller BSR and give away everything in your house... just one item that you are willing to give away by holding your own contest! A single appliance module counts ;)

BSR, are you going to do one large giveaway or several smaller ones? Or are you think of just combining your goods with mine for this contest, to help get more folks involved?

Well.... here's to hoping anyways B)

Actually I just wanted to make sure the contest got off to a good start! ;)

I'll leave it up to you Treetop! These items are good for your contest so whatever use you have for them you decide what is best and just let me know!

Regards,

BSR

Well its not that but with 5 weeks of vacation and a resort to goto I am not around much.. hehehehe

;)

John

Im interested i just have not felt like diging through my scraps today... I will be entering though.

I will donate one brand-new, un-opened Smarthome Keypadlinc (transmit only).

My joke is in honor of today being System Administrators' day, so cheers to all my fellow SA's:

(from http://www.sysadminday.com/)

Show your appreciation
Friday, July 29th, 2005, is the 6th annual System Administrator Appreciation Day. On this special international day, give your System Administrator something that shows that you truly appreciate their hard work and dedication.

Let's face it, System Administrators get no respect 364 days a year. This is the day that all fellow System Administrators across the globe, will be showered with expensive sports cars and large piles of cash in appreciation of their diligent work. But seriously, we are asking for a nice token gift and some public acknowledgement. It's the least you could do. Consider all the daunting tasks and long hours (weekends too.) Let's be honest, sometimes we don't know our System Administrators as well as they know us. Remember this is one day to recognize your System Administrator for their workplace contributions and to promote professional excellence. Thank them for all the things they do for you and your business.

Gift Ideas
So how do you determine what is the right gift? Let's go over some ideas and as we do you might come up with some gift ideas of your own! (send additional gift suggestions)

Cake and Ice Cream party (balloons optional)
Punch and Pie party (with South Park theme decorations)
Cookies | Brownies. Preferably home-baked, and did I say chocolate
Specialty Food Basket | Gourmet Chocolates | Fruit Basket
Home Theater System | Receiver | All-in-one (SONY)
Handheld GPS Unit - such as Garmin E-Map w/CDROM | Garmin Street Pilot III
White LED Flashlight - such as EternaLight
Gift Certificate from ThinkGeek.com
Case of Iced Mocha Cappuccino | Frappuccino ®
Case of Mountain Dew | Dr. Pepper
Case of Leonetti Cabernet Sauvignon Wine
Green Laser Pointer (Green - not Red)
XM Radio | Sirius Radio
Portable MP3 Music Player (Apple ipod | ARCHOS)
Sony PSP PlayStation Portable
Plasma TV (42†or larger)
Fantazein Clock persistence of vision desk clock
Nerf ® Weapons
BlackBerry Wireless Handheld
Swingline "The Red Stapler"
Digital Camera, 5 Mega-Pixel or greater - such as Olympus or Nikon
Tickets (qty 4) to Baseball | Hockey | Basketball
Gift Certificate from AMAZON.com | BUY.com | BestBuy.com
DVD Video Player (SONY, JVC)
Big comfy Lazy-Boy ® chair (for home of course)
Radio-Controlled Car | Truck | Boat (electric preferred - don't forget battery charger)
Gift Certificates, Gift Certificates, Gift Certificates.

What to avoid
Promotional marketing gifts (known as "Swag" or "Schwag") with your OWN company's corporate logo on it. I've already got it. When I signed for the box, I opened it and helped myself. I've got plenty of [ CoffeeCups | MousePads | Pens | SweatShirts | NylonJackets | GolfBalls | MemoPads | TeeShirts ] for my whole family.

define: Swag (also schwag), noun: 1. promotional toys given freely by companies in a attempt to get you to use their product or service; 2. Booty; 3. good swag: food, chocolate, items that have a high monetary value. (Spelling & definition debate)
(Read more: Wired Magazine: Article "Schwag Bag" By Warren Berger Issue 9.01 - Jan 2001)

And the WINNER is....

Hold on... let pull a coin out of my pocket :rolleyes:

Both BSR AND Jeffx!!!!

PM your addy to me, and I'll get your prize out to you by tomorrow.

Treetop

Hi Guys

I would like to donate a FirM Jr ir repeater 36-40khz CAT5 based system.....
User needs to supply a regulated 12v dc supply..and ir emitters........

1 ........FirM Jr controller
2..........FirM Jr ir receivers
2..........ir splitters ...(connect your emitters to these)

http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/page8.html

My joke

Two Santa Clause,s coming down a chimney which one is the Irishman ...???

The one with the Easter Eggs..;-))

Frank

Back