Control linc Mounting Bracket

Digger

Last night I opened up a Control linc for the first time (I have a few and never even looked at them based on the picture on the website). Its not as bad as it looks in the catalog etc.

I would really like to be able to wall mount it and started to think of how I could make one when I thought of a reason whey they could not have. This is only my opinion and I might be mistaken.

What I thought of was that it is ETL Listed to a UL Standard (UL60950). The UL requirements for an enclosure material for a permanently mounted product containing a risk of fire (mains voltage in this case) requires a 5VA flame rating. That type of plastic is VERY expensive compared to the plastic for a portable product.

Additionally I think the NEC requires that a permanently mounted product be hardwired to the mains voltage (there are exceptions of course for products requireing serviceing etc. as well as other exceptions).

Based on the above SH may not be able to make a mounting bracket for the Control linc.

Again I might be totally mistaken.........

I don't think the bracket would have qualified as a pemanent mount. If the bracket screws to the wall and the Conrlinc snaps into it then those regs probably would not apply. Some versons of X-10 mini conrollers had slots to allow wall mounting. You coud remove from the wall by sliding the contoller up and off the screw heads so not a permanent mount. Many electrical power strips use a similiar mounting arrangement.

I don't think the bracket would have qualified as a pemanent mount. If the bracket screws to the wall and the Conrlinc snaps into it then those regs probably would not apply. Some versons of X-10 mini conrollers had slots to allow wall mounting. You coud remove from the wall by sliding the contoller up and off the screw heads so not a permanent mount. Many electrical power strips use a similiar mounting arrangement.

If they design it for snapping in and out (without the use of a tool) yes I agree it could work. But can they do that and meet other requirements such as a jarring test etc. etc. Also they need for it to snap in and out in a way that someone with large fingers can do it when it is somewhat snug against the wall.

They probably dont sell enough of them to take the time away from othe product development given all of the other headaches they seem to have getting products to work correctly.

Someone also mentioned a turnover of staff at SH slowed them down but I dont know if that is true.

Why did I know you would be the first to comment???? :unsure:

Hmmmmmm idea for making an aftermarket mounting bracket to supplement income.......... :p

Hmmmmmm idea for making an aftermarket mounting bracket to supplement income..........

Seriously.... I'm surprised no one (at least that I know of??) has started reselling nice mounts for many of these popular tablets/UMPCs out there (the Samsung Q1, Nokia 800, Fujitsus, etc...).

Come on, just use Velcro. It was good enough for SmartHome to use for the RemoteLinc! :unsure:
You may have to use the heavy duty type though, due to the weight of the ControLinc.

Come on, just use Velcro. It was good enough for SmartHome to use for the RemoteLinc! :p
You may have to use the heavy duty type though, due to the weight of the ControLinc.

But will SH include the velcro with each remotelinc or will it be an accessory for $6.50 like the light pipes and paddles?

I can just see exchanges if they do because the velcro no longer sticks :unsure:

I tried Velcro but it didn't support the Insteon extended codes (not to mention the weight of the ControLinc).

Back