convert dimmed line voltage to signal

lleo

I am trying to make this a simple question: lets say there is a conventional 110V triac dimmer and would like to convert this to some kind of signal (digital [preferred] or analog)

For example, if it was a simple switch, not a dimmer, a relay closing/opening a contact would do it. What about a dimmer? How to convert this to a signal?

this is funny Bill...
your comments over the past 1-2 years how the RA2 system does not provide a daylight sensor option got me thinking again, like the one most recently on AVSForum RA2 thread.

Lutron's daylight sensor can simply be paired with Maestro dimmers, but cannot be added to a RA2 system. Essentially the Daylight switch will drive a Maestro dimmer switch to dim light when sufficient daylight is noted. This got me thinking that if there was a way to use a dimmer's output to make a signal. This may not be directly connectable to RA2 but could be a good start. 

again, I tried to be very generic with my question, and was amazed to see you commenting first... maybe you went down already on this road... :)

lleo said:
I am trying to make this a simple question: lets say there is a conventional 110V triac dimmer and would like to convert this to some kind of signal (digital [preferred] or analog)

For example, if it was a simple switch, not a dimmer, a relay closing/opening a contact would do it. What about a dimmer? How to convert this to a signal?

I don't think you'll find an off-the-shelf solution to what you are looking for.  But a circuit certainly could be designed to do the job.

A triac dimmer dims the lights by turning off the AC waveform for part of the AC cycle. You could build a simple circuit to monitor when the output of the dimmer is off (e.g. 0 Volts)  vs on (something other than 0 Volts).  Then use a microcontroller to calculate the percentage on-time vs off-time and produce a digital output.

When you are messing with AC line voltages, you need to be careful not to kill yourself or endanger anyone else.  So the circuit would need to properly isolate the microprocessor and low voltage components from the AC line.

The web page on the Lutron daylight sensor says it uses ClearConnect which is 'deployed in Radio RA 2'. Is this sensor not usable with your system directly?

cobra said:
The web page on the Lutron daylight sensor says it uses ClearConnect which is 'deployed in Radio RA 2'. Is this sensor not usable with your system directly?

Oh, the joys of a company dead-set on maintaining silos of the EXACT SAME HARDWARE sold at different prices to different tiers of the market.  Clearly someone at Lutron doesn't give a damn about emerging tech.  Because if they didn't they get a grip on their sprawling and separate markets and start making a unified approach.  But no, they're entrenched and it's going to cost them the market.

Yeah, sadly they've been around forever and I suspect they own enough market to maintain what they have for years to come.  I noticed they also have some notes about how all the ClearConnect stuff allows them to integrate all their systems together...

I'm using a Lutron GRX-TVI to convert a 120VAC dimmer voltage to 0-10 VDC for control of LED dimming.

Take a look at the Lutron GRX-TVI.

Sandpiper said:
I'm using a Lutron GRX-TVI to convert a 120VAC dimmer voltage to 0-10 VDC for control of LED dimming.

Take a look at the Lutron GRX-TVI.
Interesting device. But it looks like it lists for about $160+ dollars. Kind of pricey for this application...

Do you use another device on the 0-10V side to control the LEDs themselves?

Back