Couple of Elk ????'s

Herdfan

The installer got my new Elk M1 Gold working today with a couple of exceptions:

1. He can't get the Elk to dial the monitoring company. It just will not make the call.

2. When he tested the smoke alarm (4 smokes, 3 heats on one zone (#16)), he could not get the panel to reset via the keypad. He had to reboot the system. I half recall reading something about the smokes needing to be on a special zone or something.

Any ideas. Thanks.

1. Can the Elk dial out anywhere - like your cell phone? Can you access it internally '***'? If no to the above it is probably a wiring problem with the RJ31x. Do you have DSL? If so, do you have it filtered at the panel? If everything works but connecting to the monitoring company then it may be the config. Hope this at least gives you a few things to look at.

2. Only 2 wire smokes need to be on zone 16. 4 wire smokes can go on any zone. Sounds like maybe he did not hook up power to the SAUX terminals, but VAUX instead. I believe a reset cycles power on SAUX so the smoke need to be hooked up there. Also may sure there is an EOL resistor at the last smoke in the chain.

Make sure you have a telephone number, dialing format selected, account code, have enabled the zone reporting or system reporting.

Turn on the Butt Set Mode and listen to the dialer progress. The dialer LEDs on the left side of the M1 should come on when you trigger the zone to transmit. Otherwise you do not have one of the items above turned on.

Make sure you have the zone selection jumper for two wire smokes selected. It is next to zone 16. Use the smoke reset menu 2 to reset the smoke detectors. You should hear the relay click when you reset smoke detectors with menu 2 in the user programming.

For question 1 I had a problem with VOIP and could never get it to work.

For question 2 is the jumper on the M1G (right below the terminals for ZN16) set for 2 wire smoke (if you are using 2 wire smokes). If you are using 4 wire smokes then you leave the jumper at the default . Remember for 2 wire smokes use the 820 ohm resistor (used to be 680).

Did the installer perform the smoke detector reset (ELK button up arrow and right arrow if my memory is correct). That will dump the power to the smokes for 5 seconds allowing them to reset. Then if you enter your code it will restore the panel.

Herdfan said:
The installer got my new Elk M1 Gold working today with a couple of exceptions:

1. He can't get the Elk to dial the monitoring company. It just will not make the call.

Any ideas. Thanks.
To re-iterate Spany's comments in another way:

In RP, under telephones, make sure that the telephone is set up completely, including the number, the checkbox which says to report area events, alarms, etc and any other thing you want to report.

Under communications, and zone RC's, make sure you have set the zones you want to report with the proper code. (Read the instructions there).

Also, more basically, make sure the zone you want to report is a zone that will report, ie. burglar alarm etc. Non-alarm zones will not report.

By now if the panel was set up correctly to dial out to the CS you most likely have a Failure to Communicate Trouble on the keypad display. If there isnt then it is probably a setting.

Odds are the panel setting need to be tweaked and everything will be fine. It may be that the installer uses multiple brands and occasionally misses a few things that differ from brand to brand. I think the ELK is very easy to program (with RP) but I have friends that are more used to Ademco and Napco and can do them in their sleep and I struggle with those.

Digger said:
It may be that the installer uses multiple brands and occasionally misses a few things that differ from brand to brand.
This is his first ELK. But they were the only ELK dealer in the area and he isn't charging me for his learning curve.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have hiim read this Monday when he comes back.

Thanks again.

Shouldnt the heat detectors be on a separate zone from the regular smokes? That might also be contributing as I thought (and I installed mine on a separate zone) it was required.

Back